Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 05:04 PM

114 posts, read 254,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It's practically a universal constant: Unspoiled places remain that way only until the first wave of visitors. It's all downhill after that.
very true fluffy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 02:04 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,640,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeela View Post
We have friends in Helena so that's probably where we would go.
You should be fine in that area, looks like a nice town. If I was moving to Montana, I'd probably go with Billings or someplace with geography I'm more familiar with.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
You should be fine in that area, looks like a nice town. If I was moving to Montana, I'd probably go with Billings or someplace with geography I'm more familiar with.
You must not mind a big city. :-) Billings would have way too many people for us. In fact, Helena might not be the right place for us because they are already at 30,000 (and growing). We're looking at the Canyon Ferry Lake area which is considered East Helena.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:01 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,640,765 times
Quote:
You must not mind a big city. :-) Billings would have way too many people for us. In fact, Helena might not be the right place for us because they are already at 30,000 (and growing). We're looking at the Canyon Ferry Lake area which is considered East Helena.
Grew up in Denver, moved here last year for work so I know the feeling all too well.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:38 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,361,022 times
Quote:
Where we grew up the population density was over 5,000 people per square mile. Here in Prescott it's about 1,000 people per square mile. For us it's just about right as it has many of the amenities we had back in New York and it's not nearly as congested.

There are many small communities throughout Arizona where one can live but are in the middle of nowhere and you have to travel to get to anything including a hospital in case of an emergency.

Montana being the fourth largest state in area seems pretty remote to me although I've never been there. My parents have and my cousin was stationed there as part of NORAD. Except for the cold they loved it there.

We could have moved there, but I'll take Arizona any day. The greatest state in the country in our opinion, it has a little bit of everything. Plus Arizona is the only state that has the giant Saguaro's.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:09 AM

23 posts, read 88,626 times
Boy I sure get tired of all the whining about Ca transplants. Everyone came from somewhere. Everyone. To even 4th generation folks here in Prescott take a look in the mirror, and notice that your family was a transplant too. So leave YOUR values where ever YOU came from and get over it. I know you can do it. And so you "long term people" (probably not here very long either) pull your self up by your boot straps and get out of your funk.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FXDC View Post
Boy I sure get tired of all the whining about Ca transplants. Everyone came from somewhere. Everyone. To even 4th generation folks here in Prescott take a look in the mirror, and notice that your family was a transplant too. So leave YOUR values where ever YOU came from and get over it. I know you can do it. And so you "long term people" (probably not here very long either) pull your self up by your boot straps and get out of your funk.
I'm with you! It gets old. Give it a rest people.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:29 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,994,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FXDC View Post
My wife and I plan to retire in Prescott in the near future, as she has family there. I started reading this forum to pick up on the vibe of the area and noticed the focus on California transplants also. I even started a thread about it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/presc...ifornians.html

If you dont want to read the thread, the two major take aways I had from it were:

1- Big money coming with them, driving up real estate prices.
2- California "values" that do not fit with the libertarian leaning ways of Yavapai county.

I spent last August in Prescott (before the national elections) and I did see a lot of Bernie and Hillary signs for sure. (That doesnt mean these folks were originally from California I know)

One question I would have is how many relatively recent California transplants have run for Prescott local govt positions, such as city council? That is an arena that I have seen transplants change the nature of an area in before, when I lived on the east coast.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,978,315 times
There are no problems with the 1000's of Cali transplants coming to Prescott. They are all wonderful people, boost the local economy, and we should all be thankful that they are coming here. There is no impact on medical services, traffic, real estate, culture, etc... And if there is, it is really our fault for not being as welcoming as we could be. Please forgive us...

Old 08-06-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
My wife and I plan to retire in Prescott in the near future, as she has family there. I started reading this forum to pick up on the vibe of the area and noticed the focus on California transplants also. I even started a thread about it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/presc...ifornians.html

If you dont want to read the thread, the two major take aways I had from it were:

1- Big money coming with them, driving up real estate prices.
2- California "values" that do not fit with the libertarian leaning ways of Yavapai county.

I spent last August in Prescott (before the national elections) and I did see a lot of Bernie and Hillary signs for sure. (That doesnt mean these folks were originally from California I know)

One question I would have is how many relatively recent California transplants have run for Prescott local govt positions, such as city council? That is an arena that I have seen transplants change the nature of an area in before, when I lived on the east coast.
I didn't read your thread but would disagree with #1. I think real estate prices are up just because of the old "supply and demand". This also includes rentals here which are too high. I've heard that more homes have sold in the $300-400,000 range, which is not big money. Not sure what you mean about "California values" and "Libertarian leaning ways of Yavapai County". FYI, Trump took Yavapai County handily with less than 5% for Stein (Green Party) and Johnson (Libertarian) combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott