Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 03:38 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Get here before all the folks in democratic cities do a mass exodus when the police are defunded and head for places like AZ where there is safety
I think we are already at a tipping point. If it gets really bad here, I'll bail out to Wyoming or South Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 08:40 PM

479 posts, read 801,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I think we are already at a tipping point. If it gets really bad here, I'll bail out to Wyoming or South Dakota.
If it's worth living there, people will come. Rapid City's population is up over 15% since 2010. That's 4% more than Prescott's (not PV) over the same time period. WY may have some cool places at certain times of the year but for year round living, there's no place on the same stratosphere as Prescott.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:07 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I think you'll be ok. I just moved here, a lot of friends and neighbors are moving here.......all are ultra conservative. Not moderates, not kinda conservative, but solid hard core conservatives.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:42 PM

402 posts, read 611,724 times
Boy am i leaving at the right time

Old 07-14-2020, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 2,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
I think you'll be ok. I just moved here, a lot of friends and neighbors are moving here.......all are ultra conservative. Not moderates, not kinda conservative, but solid hard core conservatives.
You just made my day. My wife and I are strongly considering coming to the area and hoping to bring a business and employment with us to contribute to the local economy. But I'm worried by what has happened in places like Colorado and Oregon (and even to an extent, Texas) that used to be conservative and now are either solidly "blue" or clearly going that way. Heck, in my lifetime I've seen California go from a place that used to elect people like Ronald Reagan to what it is today... I didn't think I was a "hardcore" conservative until California politicians demonized me for being a hunter, gun owner, outdoorsman, and business person.

We spent last weekend touring the entire area (including Chino Valley, Williamson, Jerome, Camp Verde and Verdi Valley, Pine, Payson, etc.) and really, really like what we saw in Prescott - even with the shutdown, it is an obviously charming and well-maintained city. Yes, there is a lot of sprawl, particularly as you head towards PV, but that development activity adds to the economic base - more jobs, more choices, etc. in the area which (assuming there is enough water) should benefit everyone.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:40 AM

404 posts, read 765,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
You just made my day. My wife and I are strongly considering coming to the area and hoping to bring a business and employment with us to contribute to the local economy. But I'm worried by what has happened in places like Colorado and Oregon (and even to an extent, Texas) that used to be conservative and now are either solidly "blue" or clearly going that way. Heck, in my lifetime I've seen California go from a place that used to elect people like Ronald Reagan to what it is today... I didn't think I was a "hardcore" conservative until California politicians demonized me for being a hunter, gun owner, outdoorsman, and business person.

We spent last weekend touring the entire area (including Chino Valley, Williamson, Jerome, Camp Verde and Verdi Valley, Pine, Payson, etc.) and really, really like what we saw in Prescott - even with the shutdown, it is an obviously charming and well-maintained city. Yes, there is a lot of sprawl, particularly as you head towards PV, but that development activity adds to the economic base - more jobs, more choices, etc. in the area which (assuming there is enough water) should benefit everyone.
The problem with random anecdotes on the Internet is that they may fail to convey the whole story. While Yavapai County is reliably conservative and will probably remain so for at least the next decade or so, the state as a whole is not and likely will not - I'd suggest looking at recent polling in terms of presidential preference or at the Senate campaigns, but most people have probably already made up their minds as to whether they consider polling reliable or not.

For what it's worth, Yavapai is one of only two counties in the state where Republicans have a near 2:1 majority over Democrats - the other is Mohave. While Yavapai County is reliably conservative, that doesn't mean certain cities and towns within its bounds are. I have not looked for registered voter demographics by anything more granular than county, but I would suspect the numbers skew more Democrat in places like Sedona, Jerome, and even Prescott - as compared to places like Chino Valley, Mayer, DH, etc.

Statewide, the makeup of voters is 32.5% Democrat, 34.89% Republican, and 31.80% Other (mostly Independent).

I hope if you do bring a business and jobs here, that they are jobs that provide a decent standard of living. We're already flush with relatively low-paying service industry jobs that don't allow someone working 60+ hours a week to afford a decent apartment or rental house.

Data source, in the event my summary of information was inaccurate or you wish to learn more: https://azsos.gov/sites/default/file...ril_1_2020.pdf

Old 07-14-2020, 08:08 PM

402 posts, read 611,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by like-2-hike View Post
The problem with random anecdotes on the Internet is that they may fail to convey the whole story. While Yavapai County is reliably conservative and will probably remain so for at least the next decade or so, the state as a whole is not and likely will not - I'd suggest looking at recent polling in terms of presidential preference or at the Senate campaigns, but most people have probably already made up their minds as to whether they consider polling reliable or not.

For what it's worth, Yavapai is one of only two counties in the state where Republicans have a near 2:1 majority over Democrats - the other is Mohave. While Yavapai County is reliably conservative, that doesn't mean certain cities and towns within its bounds are. I have not looked for registered voter demographics by anything more granular than county, but I would suspect the numbers skew more Democrat in places like Sedona, Jerome, and even Prescott - as compared to places like Chino Valley, Mayer, DH, etc.

Statewide, the makeup of voters is 32.5% Democrat, 34.89% Republican, and 31.80% Other (mostly Independent).

I hope if you do bring a business and jobs here, that they are jobs that provide a decent standard of living. We're already flush with relatively low-paying service industry jobs that don't allow someone working 60+ hours a week to afford a decent apartment or rental house.

Data source, in the event my summary of information was inaccurate or you wish to learn more: https://azsos.gov/sites/default/file...ril_1_2020.pdf

Peescott is a utopia on paper. Then you arrive.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by like-2-hike View Post
The problem with random anecdotes on the Internet is that they may fail to convey the whole story. While Yavapai County is reliably conservative and will probably remain so for at least the next decade or so, the state as a whole is not and likely will not
You're simplifying and not paying attention to current trends......the vast majority of current immigrants to Arizona are disgruntled Californians who are vastly CONSERVATIVE. Arizona is going to turn bright red again....

Old 07-14-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
You keep bitching about Prescott........yet you stay.........

Old 07-14-2020, 10:48 PM

404 posts, read 765,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
I've lived here close to 20 years and traveled the world during that time. It's as close to a utopia as I'm likely to find, and I love it here. I hope you find a place that provides you with the same opportunities, experiences, and happiness that I have found here.

Quote:
You're simplifying and not paying attention to current trends......the vast majority of current immigrants to Arizona are disgruntled Californians who are vastly CONSERVATIVE. Arizona is going to turn bright red again....
I literally provided you the evidence and yet you claim I'm "simplifying and not paying attention to current trends." Sorry, you're either too lazy or too dumb to understand the link I shared. I'll go ahead and spell it out for you, since I'm bored and enjoy pointing out bull**** when I see it.

Between January and April of this year, registered Democrats increased by 48,497. During the same timeframe, registered Republicans increased by 6,952. Registered "Other" (mostly Independents) decreased by 51,913. These are statewide numbers. Try again. Next time with unbiased evidence to support your claim.

Quote:
You keep bitching about Prescott........yet you stay.........
And you keep indulging them with responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott