Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 05:07 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsAngelsKings View Post
Can you work remotely?

That is my goal/hope. I work remotely in IT now but I am only 26 miles from the office and I go in 1-2 days per month.

I'm waiting for the right time to ask my boss if I can mover further away even if I still need to come 1-2 days per month.

The few concerns I have are healthcare and what if my employer were to call everyone back to the office because once you leave the Southern California real estate market it is very difficult to get back in.

Born and raised in Southern California as well and I am OVER it. California is so effed up! It really is the land of nutjobs and whack-a-doodles.
There are tax and health care coverage complications if you work for a company in another state. They are minor, but your company in general may or may not to deal with it. It just takes some time for an office manager to look at filling your out of state taxes and maybe tweak your health care coverage to a plan that is covered in another state. The good news is AZ is one of the least complicated states in regards to both if I'm not mistaken.

As to what happens in the future a few things.

* Economy could tank tomorrow and we could all be out of work in theory...
* There is a growing telecommute only job market, but landing jobs that pay decent is still hard...
* How is the local economy you would be telecommuting from? Is there a plan B?
* Both fortune and misfortune favor the brave.

Plan B in the Prescott area from what I could see would be up to six months of being unemployed and then a 40% pay cut if and when you do land something if your telecommute job goes away. You might get stuck with a commute to Phoenix where IT jobs are much more plentiful, though they tend to be not the greatest working environments (I noticed jobs down there tend to work you hard, thus a fair amount of turnover). One of the reasons I rented in Prescott was so if my job went away I could pack up and get to an area with greater opportunity.

So that would be what you are looking at if your job allowed you to move out-of-state. I'd broach the subject kind of jokingly or lightly and see what kind of initial response you get. You could maybe baby step it and stay in state in just a less expensive area, but then why would you stay in California say if you were living way inland? Another option is to begin looking.

8 hour drive into Cali and back, even if only twice a month, would get old after awhile. I just relocated out of Prescott and I have to now drive at least 1.5 hours one way each week to pick up supplies and that is getting old.

Good luck.

Oh and once you are Cali free you won't miss it. I moved out in the 90ies. You might miss the ocean for a few years (I did) but you get over it. In AZ your have NorAZ with lakes, rivers, forest, Indian ruins, trippy rocks, desert skies, and more. Makes up for it. And the food is better in Cali, especially if you live in Prescott. Some decent places but not a foodie town. That you won't be able to make up for but you will forget about it most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 12:48 AM

75 posts, read 121,527 times
StuckinCA, hey I may move to Prescott/Prescott Valley/Tucson in 2020, but I am visiting Prescott the week of July 4th to check it out myself. (I live in NC). It's exciting to hear that you saw new schools & stuff being built in PV... I might have to visit PV too during my week stay in Prescott. In other posts in related forums, Arizonians say that medical/dental jobs are good (maybe mostly medical) in Prescott... and it also looks like others are able to work from home?? I work in dental, so I'm going to pop my head in several dental offices to get a feel for the market there - plus one does need a good dentist/medical doctor! Which I saw in another forum that major medical care is not the best in Prescott? ... Some medical professional (paramedic maybe?) labeled the hospital there as the 'death hospital,' ... but you never know what the truth is until you talk to a lot of the locals who have experienced it first hand -- which I'm going to be asking around for sure on that one. Some posted in my thread about AZ: "Possible move to AZ from NC, need accurate feedback please"... Prescott is mentioned a couple times, but billgrey's thread on Prescott has been the best so far; that's why I keep returning to this thread. Hopefully we both will get all the information we're looking for. =)

Old 04-12-2018, 11:33 AM

52 posts, read 70,508 times
All great points, thank you!

I did casually mention it to my manager in my review and he was not opposed to the idea but would certainly need further discussion.

As far as driving back for the 1-2 days per month I would only make the commute once, do my 2 days, or even one of my short weeks (9/80 schedule), and then head back on my Friday off. I can stay at my dad's for free so only expense is the commute itself. Also, I would not have to make the drive all at once as I can stop over in Lake Havasu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
There are tax and health care coverage complications if you work for a company in another state. They are minor, but your company in general may or may not to deal with it. It just takes some time for an office manager to look at filling your out of state taxes and maybe tweak your health care coverage to a plan that is covered in another state. The good news is AZ is one of the least complicated states in regards to both if I'm not mistaken.

As to what happens in the future a few things.

* Economy could tank tomorrow and we could all be out of work in theory...
* There is a growing telecommute only job market, but landing jobs that pay decent is still hard...
* How is the local economy you would be telecommuting from? Is there a plan B?
* Both fortune and misfortune favor the brave.

Plan B in the Prescott area from what I could see would be up to six months of being unemployed and then a 40% pay cut if and when you do land something if your telecommute job goes away. You might get stuck with a commute to Phoenix where IT jobs are much more plentiful, though they tend to be not the greatest working environments (I noticed jobs down there tend to work you hard, thus a fair amount of turnover). One of the reasons I rented in Prescott was so if my job went away I could pack up and get to an area with greater opportunity.

So that would be what you are looking at if your job allowed you to move out-of-state. I'd broach the subject kind of jokingly or lightly and see what kind of initial response you get. You could maybe baby step it and stay in state in just a less expensive area, but then why would you stay in California say if you were living way inland? Another option is to begin looking.

8 hour drive into Cali and back, even if only twice a month, would get old after awhile. I just relocated out of Prescott and I have to now drive at least 1.5 hours one way each week to pick up supplies and that is getting old.

Good luck.

Oh and once you are Cali free you won't miss it. I moved out in the 90ies. You might miss the ocean for a few years (I did) but you get over it. In AZ your have NorAZ with lakes, rivers, forest, Indian ruins, trippy rocks, desert skies, and more. Makes up for it. And the food is better in Cali, especially if you live in Prescott. Some decent places but not a foodie town. That you won't be able to make up for but you will forget about it most of the time.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:15 PM

558 posts, read 972,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile37 View Post
I saw in another forum that major medical care is not the best in Prescott? ... Some medical professional (paramedic maybe?) labeled the hospital there as the 'death hospital,' ... but you never know what the truth is until you talk to a lot of the locals who have experienced it first hand -- which I'm going to be asking around for sure on that one.
The hospital here has also appeared in some top 10 lists, like on Consumer Reports, so YMMV.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:04 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
1. I'll PM who we used
2. No idea but I do know (3) co-workers who have built and moved INTO Talking Rock in the last 2-3 years.
3. We own a lot in American Ranch in Williamson Valley. They have their own water but some have wells too.
4. If managed by an HOA, you may or may not be able to have a fence. We are able to.
5. No personal knowledge but based on previous posts, you'll be going to PHX for specialized care
6. Like CA, depends on home value but it WILL be going up. We're expecting a tax hit of $7000 a year
7. Based on what people have posted on here in the past, we'll easily have lower utility bills
7000 for property taxes does not sound right, are you sure that is your annual property tax rate?
This home in American ranch is valued at 759,000 and taxes are only 3856

9745 Equine, Prescott, AZ 86305 MLS# 1008418
Beds: 3 Baths: 3.00 Garages: 5.00 Acreage: 2.00 Sqft: 2,649 Taxes: $3,856
Courtesy of: REALTY EXECUTIVES NORTHERN ARIZONA Tax Year: 2017
Pending - Take Backup: $749,000

Old 04-13-2018, 03:50 PM

479 posts, read 802,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
7000 for property taxes does not sound right, are you sure that is your annual property tax rate?
This home in American ranch is valued at 759,000 and taxes are only 3856

9745 Equine, Prescott, AZ 86305 MLS# 1008418
Beds: 3 Baths: 3.00 Garages: 5.00 Acreage: 2.00 Sqft: 2,649 Taxes: $3,856
Courtesy of: REALTY EXECUTIVES NORTHERN ARIZONA Tax Year: 2017
Pending - Take Backup: $749,000
Cool, as I mentioned, that is what we expected but I guess I could be way off base. That would be nice to only pay $4K. Ours is $1100 a year right now just for the lot. Not sure of it's assessed value at the moment.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
I really like it but concerns about the medical infrastructure
I think a bad place to be sick
Other than that I am a true and loyal
Yavapai college roughrider

Old 04-14-2018, 12:38 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I really like it but concerns about the medical infrastructure
I think a bad place to be sick
Other than that I am a true and loyal
Yavapai college roughrider

Interesting reading this stuff about the Prescott hospital. I have cousins who work there and they have 'some' complaints but for the most part are happy. Anyway, back in Oct. I fell and broke my hip. They took me to the hospital here in Cottonwood but they didn't have a surgeon available so they called Flagstaff and they didn't have any beds available. They wouldn't even CALL Prescott so I got the idea they didn't think much of them and I ended up being transported to Banner in Phoenix. Good call and wonderful hospital but I still wonder why the attitude about Prescott. When I lived in Prescott I kept my doctor in Cottonwood so didn't have one there. I did have one for a foot 'problem' but he wasn't worth much. Kept me coming back, charging an arm and leg and it took moving to Payson and an emergency visit to the ER to get any answers. So maybe the complaints are valid.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:59 AM

75 posts, read 121,527 times
[quote=AZDesertBrat;51610172]Interesting reading this stuff about the Prescott hospital. I have cousins who work there and they have 'some' complaints but for the most part are happy. Anyway, back in Oct. I fell and broke my hip. They took me to the hospital here in Cottonwood but they didn't have a surgeon available so they called Flagstaff and they didn't have any beds available. They wouldn't even CALL Prescott so I got the idea they didn't think much of them and I ended up being transported to Banner in Phoenix."

Wow, wouldn't even CALL Prescott?? Yikes.

Prescott/AZ locals: Hm.. well, I guess that confirms that there IS a need for medical professionals in Prescott. Has it always been like this? Some locals have posted in other threads that the city is growing & that the traffic is starting to get bad. ... If the traffic continues to grow steadily, there will be a need for expansion & the city would obviously have to plan accordingly to meet the demand... unless of course if Prescott wants to remain a small city. I don't much about city planning/mayors/civil engineering/politics.. etc.... but could this have anything to do with why Prescott has remained small for as long as it has been? Is Prescott trying to preserve itself? .... Not all cities need to grow bigger than 150k, HOWEVER, if a hospital is going to be in a city of mostly retirees (but demographics slowly changing, I think??)... there absolutely SHOULD BE several good doctors available within less than 30 min. Cardiologists especially. It's a bit scary knowing a 'good' hospital is 1 hr & 40 min away (Phoenix). .... I have already had a bad experience with a mishap in Robinsville, NC & the closest hospital was about 1.5 hrs away in Asheville. The ambulance bill was roughly $1,000. Robinsville didn't even have an Urgent Care!!! The place where tons of hikers, campers go up in the mountains & there isn't even a tiny urgent care facility?!?! ...... In having said that, Prescott has at least some Urgent Care facilities, right??

Old 04-15-2018, 09:12 AM

479 posts, read 802,329 times
Smile37....Good on you for coming on here ahead of time to get some information and while I know virtually nothing about the hospital care in Prescott, I strongly encourage you to wait until you get to Prescott before forming your own opinions. Coming from a MAJOR metropolis and what I'm used to here after 31 years of working in law enforcement, I find what people complain about in Prescott almost laughable. So far, literally every issue they complain about is a complete NON-issue to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott