Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 06:13 PM

322 posts, read 244,284 times

Advertisements

We've been through Prescott/PV/CV a few times over the years and like that area the best. I'm used to tract housing and HOA's, so I know about that. My wife wants the amenities (pool, fitness, clubhouse, events). We are younger retirees & no kids at home, but may have grandkids visit. We would like to get out of the heat (Tucson area) & enjoy 4 seasons for awhile.

One of the biggest issues for me is giving-up an almost 3,000 sq. ft. home (which I love) south of Tucson, for about a 2000 sq. ft. home and another $1K a month in a Mort. Payment. We tried a 1700 sq ft home for awhile and it seemed too small. I'm kind of a home body, so I like a big house.

Anyone know the current property tax rate there? It seems with every new development they find something else to pass onto the buyer in taxes. I'm guessing it will be around 1.6%

Opinion's of the area?

Thanks.

Last edited by dump1567; 10-13-2021 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 09:00 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,195 times
You can go to the Yavapai County GIS and look at property taxes for various properties: https://gis.yavapaiaz.gov/v4/map.aspx

Just picking a random 2100 sqft house built in 2004, it has a property tax of $3,000 for 2021. Of that, $550 is for the Pronghorn Ranch Community Facilities District (CFD), which is used to pay off a loan that the developer got to build some of the infrastructure. Other subdivisions do not have a CFD on their tax bill, so their taxes are less expensive.

Pronghorn is nice and is similar to some of the other subdivisions with clubhouses in Prescott Valley (e.g., Granville, Jasper, StoneRidge, Quailwood). Although StoneRidge is a little more picturesque as it is set back in the foothills. The other subdivisions are pretty flat.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:49 AM

558 posts, read 970,545 times
Although PV is more affordable when buying, it seems like Prescott has lower property taxes. I wouldn't be surprised if Prescott City Water & Sewer bills are lower than the weird private things in PV. I'm also curious if there's a difference in home insurance between the towns.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:08 AM

144 posts, read 146,308 times
And check on the HOA fees as they vary sub division to sub division.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:26 AM

322 posts, read 244,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7kkk View Post
And check on the HOA fees as they vary sub division to sub division.
The HOA Fees are low ($60-$70) compared to what I've paid in the past. I'm paying $119 right now, which I find reasonable for the amenities I get.

I just spoke to Dorn Homes. It seems they want $40K down and don't do contingency buyers. And property tax is .08% with a $600 a year Community Development Fee (or something like that). Still better than the 1.5% I'm paying now.

They definitely seemed geared towards cash buyers. I could make things happen if needed, but I wasn't expecting that kind of down payment.

Something tells me I'll get the same answer from the other builders out there.

Old 10-15-2021, 02:19 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,782 times
yeah, I park my McMansion Rv at the luxury RV park, Prescott is great. I love it. The CEO of my company lives up in the hills on weekends in his little 2600 sq ft house in the Pines.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:39 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dump1567 View Post
I just spoke to Dorn Homes. It seems they want $40K down and don't do contingency buyers. And property tax is .08% with a $600 a year Community Development Fee (or something like that). Still better than the 1.5% I'm paying now.

They definitely seemed geared towards cash buyers. I could make things happen if needed, but I wasn't expecting that kind of down payment.

You may have misunderstood them. Unless they have changed recently, they will not give you a contingency on selling a home prior to purchasing. They will let you get a loan to purchase a new house. That said, if the loan is denied, they probably will not give you back your $40K.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:37 AM

479 posts, read 801,294 times
Cons? Every house looks the same and it looks just like suburbia in every outlying area of Southern California which is personally what I was looking to escape when I moved out this way. Oh and your neighbors 6 feet away doesn't appeal to me either but at least you can hear them having relations if you want. At least the neighborhoods are kept pretty clean and uniform due to the stricter HOA. I guess if you want to see some actual mature trees, you can go for a drive

Old 10-18-2021, 02:34 PM

144 posts, read 146,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dump1567 View Post
The HOA Fees are low ($60-$70) compared to what I've paid in the past. I'm paying $119 right now, which I find reasonable for the amenities I get.

We only paid $106 for the year in Viewpoint North.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:22 AM

55 posts, read 51,478 times
They are all pretty much the same housing tracks built by the same builders with the same sorts of HOA and the same sorts of people (regardless of ”OVER 55” everybody out here is old lol). Pronghorn has access to viewpoint drive and 89 so it's a decent location imho and there is a gas station and veterinarian right there.

Personally I don't really like it here, too crowded, but if the crowded part doesn't bother you then go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott