Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:24 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,652 times

Advertisements

I work for a MOLD company in Phoenix. I recently did a job in Mayer and thought, wow this is a nice GREEN town(lot forested green not crazy liberal green). It gets hot there but not phoenix hot. I really want to move up there. How bad would a commute from mayer to phoenix be. Its an hour each way but is snow gonna slow me down in the winter? I know this commute will suck gas but I drive a 4 banger ford ranger and get good mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 12:41 PM

94 posts, read 318,082 times
Weather will be less of an issue on that commute than the unpredictable traffic jams. Accidents like trucks flipping close 17 down for hours, then there is the continuous never ending construction that causes bumper to bumper traffic. If you want a real treat try leaving from Phoenix on a Friday afternoon heading north on RT17. Everyone is going north for the weekend and it crawls.

Other than that it's a great commute!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:08 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,652 times
is there a lot of work in prescott? I would just like to get out of the desert. The heat isnt the end of the world I mean hell I work in a unairconditioned containment in the valley on 115 plus days. I would just like to be able to enjoy the outdoors year round at home. I can bear it but I can't enjoy it

Old 07-25-2009, 05:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
No, there is not a lot of work in Prescott, based on some of the other threads.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:21 AM

416 posts, read 534,823 times
Mayer is a nice quiet town. Not as expensive as the valley. Rent for 6 months and try it out.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
I work for a MOLD company in Phoenix.
I didn't know there were companies that made mold

Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
No, there is not a lot of work in Prescott, based on some of the other threads.

There definitely isn't. That's why I'm still unemployed (I live in the Prescott/Prescott Valley area). It sucks.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:14 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
But the commute to Mayer from Phoenix shouldn't be that bad. You definitely wouldn't be that far from I-17 south freeway. And it would take off 45 minutes too.

Mayer is a nice little, bitty town. Not a whole lot to do, on your off time, but you can find something I'm sure.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 26,823 times
Matt, I may be late with this info. You may have already moved to Mayer. But, I felt the need to warn any other people from moving there. I live in Prescott Valley. I had heard rumors about "Historic Mayer", but I took an afternoon to drive there and explore and then report here.
Mayer is a wretched, ugly tiny town. "Hisoric"? No. It is just a vestige of a mining town, now trying to survive. On the limited paved roads are various homes and buildings in various stages of decay and disrepair. Travel onto any of the infinite skinny dirt roads and you will see the real Mayer. Hundreds of squalid, beat up trailers. Rusting metal junk, non-running cars and trucks, and other assorted trash piled in plain view in more than half of the residences. I saw more than a few washing machines on the home made "porches" of these trailers. The lots are tiny, with a neighbor who cares having no escape from their filthy neighbors. The dirt roads are like a carnival ride of steep up and down driving. Imagine what it would be like in the monsoon!!
Mayer has no shopping, save for a Circle K gas station, a small hardware store, and a dilapidated building advertising "Fresh Meat". Sounds lovely, eh? The nearest real grocery store or any other modern convenience is 40 minutes away in Prescott Valley. To anyone contemplating moving there, please don't kid yourselves. It is a hard, unpleasant existence living in Mayer, definitely not worth a few degrees of climate compared to Phoenix.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:30 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,296 times
I second that. Mayer is a dead mining town. The town is poverty stricken. The infrastructure is in a state of disarray. Drive through the residential area, it's mostly trailers, garbage everywhere, drugs, poverty, etc. The town of Jerome in the Mingus Mtns. is also a former mining town but it has fared somewhat better than Mayer, plus Jerome has the views, but Jerome's residential is also poverty level housing.

If you are going to move there, might as well drive the extra 30 minutes and move to PV. Mayer is no place where you want to "live". Unless you like living in poverty stricken neighborhoods that are filled with meth and broken down appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott