Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 05:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I really don't see how anyone can stand by Tony Romo any longer. The loss to the Jets was bad enough, but that game was not entirely out of reach and the Jets are an established SB competitor.

In this game, though, the Cowboys weren't just winning, they were dominating the upstart Lions. They had them beaten and nearly demoralized offensively. Stafford and the Lions were getting nowhere. It was Romo's poor decisions to throw into tight coverage that kept giving the Lions hope. Every time the Lions were down, Romo kept serving up the ball. Not once, not twice, but three times...before finally getting sacked on the final drive.

I've never been the kind of lame sports fan that piles on a QB the moment he has a bad game. After the 2006 playoff fumble against Seattle I was willing to accept the fact that he's a young guy and may have had a bit of nerves in the big moment. It was inevitable that he would make bad reads and go through some growing pains, but five years on he's still making game-changing errors, even against teams that aren't coached by Bill Belichick. Romo just doesn't have that special "it." He's got a lot of offensive talent, and he can make some big plays once in a while, but he probably has a greater chance of making a game changing error than a momentous play.

I would not be surprised if this is the beginning of the end of the Cowboys' season. It's not just Romo that is disappointed and rattled. How do you remain in good spirits if you're on the defense and you watch one player on offense give the game away? How do you come off the field and look at defensive coach Ryan? How can his receivers have faith in him? This is twice this has happened this season, and we're only a quarter through the season.

I am not joking when I say that Jason Garrett needs to seriously consider making John Kitna the starter for next week's game. It's not just about how to deal with Romo; it's about giving the team confidence of putting the team in the hands of a veteran who won't kill their team's chances in the 4th quarter. A few weeks ago after the Jets game, I said back then that if this happens again, it's probably over for Romo, and I think that's the case. If it's not over for Romo and Garrett allows him to go out there and do this again, it will not only be over for Romo, but it might also be over for the Cowboys season...and for Garrett's coaching career.

Kitna proved he wasn't the answer 2 weeks ago

Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Kitna proved he wasn't the answer 2 weeks ago
But that was a very short period of time and he had little time to prepare. Take away some of the uncertainty with his position, make him the starter coming into the game, and see what happens. He has never been a brilliant passer, but he filled in reasonably well toward the end of last season, winning the majority of his games (going something like 5 or 6 wins against three losses, if memory serves me correct). He's not going to go 14 and 2, but he could possibly do what Trent Dilfer managed to do and win by smart football management and letting his defense win the games. That's what this team is probably best designed to do at this point. I think it was fair for Jason Garrett to try and open up the offense a little and make use of Romo's mobility, but multiple turnovers interceptions in the 4th quarter (as he's done twice in four games now) will nullify every last one of his highlight reel plays every single time. Tony Romo can run - we know that. Tony Romo can pass - we know that too. But the real question has been, can Tony Romo win football games, and unfortunately...we know the answer to that question as well. He can't. Give Kitna a chance to show that he can.

If he doesn't, then Jerry Jones will have to find a new coach.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:04 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
But that was a very short period of time and he had little time to prepare. Take away some of the uncertainty with his position, make him the starter coming into the game, and see what happens. He has never been a brilliant passer, but he filled in reasonably well toward the end of last season, winning the majority of his games (going something like 5 or 6 wins against three losses, if memory serves me correct). He's not going to go 14 and 2, but he could possibly do what Trent Dilfer managed to do and win by smart football management and letting his defense win the games. That's what this team is probably best designed to do at this point. I think it was fair for Jason Garrett to try and open up the offense a little and make use of Romo's mobility, but multiple turnovers interceptions in the 4th quarter (as he's done twice in four games now) will nullify every last one of his highlight reel plays every single time. Tony Romo can run - we know that. Tony Romo can pass - we know that too. But the real question has been, can Tony Romo win football games, and unfortunately...we know the answer to that question as well. He can't. Give Kitna a chance to show that he can.

If he doesn't, then Jerry Jones will have to find a new coach.
Not sure if you realize this or not but the cowboys are 2-2. Damm you make it sound like they are 0-4. When they fall under .500 let's talk about changing the QB

Old 10-02-2011, 06:52 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
Not sure if you realize this or not but the cowboys are 2-2. Damm you make it sound like they are 0-4. When they fall under .500 let's talk about changing the QB
Agreed...

Old 10-02-2011, 07:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
They really need to make drafting a QB a very high priority.

Kitna...Kitna is really good at throwing it to Jason Witten.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
This is not just about this year. It's been years now. I don't know why Jerry Jones keeps throwing good money after bad.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:06 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Kitna is old and sucks and Romo is just average.

Trying to put Romo on the level of Brees, Manning, Brady, and Rodgers just because he plays for Dallas, is absurd. The guy is an OK quarterback and if he played for Seattle, you wouldn't hear much about him.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:06 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Two pick-6's in one game though. That's gotta be rough on Cowboy fan.

Romo giveth... and Romo taketh awayeth.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Kitna is old and sucks and Romo is just average.

Trying to put Romo on the level of Brees, Manning, Brady, and Rodgers just because he plays for Dallas, is absurd. The guy is an OK quarterback and if he played for Seattle, you wouldn't hear much about him.
is he better than Joe Flacco or matt Ryan?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
What's the deal with Tony Romo brushing off Jerry Jones on the sideline? Whatever the reason, it sure LOOKED bad on the video clip.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football