Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

I know there are Browns fans out there. So let's talk about it. How many of you since the return of the team in 1999 are sick of the losing, and the constant "rebuilding", not to mention the excuses week after week. Who do you blame? What can be done to fix the Browns? With the way the NFL is set up, any team can go from worst to first in a short time, yet with the Browns it's always "well we're rebuilding." Is Holmgren the answer? In year two of his regime, it's not really looking like it. I understand splitting wins with division rivals as it's tough to get 2 from a division rival especially in a tough division like the AFC North. But getting swept by the Bengals, and it is looking like we'll get swept by the Steelers and Ravens (they got one yesterday) is absolutely unacceptable!

I'd love to know the thoughts from fellow Browns fans, and even non-Browns fans, as long as the trash talk is kept to a minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
I'm sick and tired of this ****, and I'm only 25. I haven't even been through as many years of this crap as many other Browns fans.

I sat in the rain at last night's game and wondered why I even bothered. Why did I even pay money to this team to sit in the rain and watch them play like a high school team. I guess I'm just the typical true Browns fan, trying to think positive that maybe, just maybe, something great will happen.

I'm sure there's a lot to say, but one thing on my mind lately is Pat Shurmur. I'm so, so, so disappointed in Mike Holmgren. I thought with him coming in he'd use the respect of his name around the league to get someone well known to coach this team. But no, he does what the Browns have done since 1999 and wanted to take a chance on an unknown coach to take this team to the promise land. PLEASE! When Holmgren was hired, all the fans I know and everyone on the radio shows said finally this guy will either coach himself or will bring in a big named person, but nope, he gave it to a guy nobody knows of, which was the OC for one of the worst offenses last season. Ugh!

I'm just disgusted. I'm tired of this franchise making stupid decisions. Why on earth would any players look up to Pat Shurmur? He hasn't done anything to change the attitude of the team who feels like their never going to go anywhere.

So sad. I told my friend last night that while watching the Browns-Ravens play, we got to see what the Browns would have been if they didn't leave and what the Browns are because they did leave play on the same field at the same time.

For a group of fans who took the NFL to court to try to get our team to stay or at least let us keep the colors and history and team name, the franchise sure hasn't given the fans anything back. 12 years after returning we've had only one exciting season (2007) and years and years of bad decisions and horrible play.

I could go on and on, but that's just a small rant I wanted to put together. Thanks for making this thread. By the way, sorry if I made any spelling or grammar mistakes, but in honor of the Browns not fixing any of their problems, I decided not to fix any of mine

Old 12-05-2011, 01:08 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
Not a Browns fan, but do remember the "good ol days" with Brian Sipe and company. Miss those great Steeler/Brown, Bengal/Brown matchups. I use to be a Steelers fan when I was a kid(before I grew up and saw the Cowboy light, ha!) Hope the Browns do get better though, the fans deserve it....

Old 12-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I'm sick and tired of this ****, and I'm only 25. I haven't even been through as many years of this crap as many other Browns fans.

I sat in the rain at last night's game and wondered why I even bothered. Why did I even pay money to this team to sit in the rain and watch them play like a high school team. I guess I'm just the typical true Browns fan, trying to think positive that maybe, just maybe, something great will happen.

I'm sure there's a lot to say, but one thing on my mind lately is Pat Shurmur. I'm so, so, so disappointed in Mike Holmgren. I thought with him coming in he'd use the respect of his name around the league to get someone well known to coach this team. But no, he does what the Browns have done since 1999 and wanted to take a chance on an unknown coach to take this team to the promise land. PLEASE! When Holmgren was hired, all the fans I know and everyone on the radio shows said finally this guy will either coach himself or will bring in a big named person, but nope, he gave it to a guy nobody knows of, which was the OC for one of the worst offenses last season. Ugh!

I'm just disgusted. I'm tired of this franchise making stupid decisions. Why on earth would any players look up to Pat Shurmur? He hasn't done anything to change the attitude of the team who feels like their never going to go anywhere.

So sad. I told my friend last night that while watching the Browns-Ravens play, we got to see what the Browns would have been if they didn't leave and what the Browns are because they did leave play on the same field at the same time.

For a group of fans who took the NFL to court to try to get our team to stay or at least let us keep the colors and history and team name, the franchise sure hasn't given the fans anything back. 12 years after returning we've had only one exciting season (2007) and years and years of bad decisions and horrible play.

I could go on and on, but that's just a small rant I wanted to put together. Thanks for making this thread. By the way, sorry if I made any spelling or grammar mistakes, but in honor of the Browns not fixing any of their problems, I decided not to fix any of mine

I hear you loud and clear gobucks. The more I think about it, the more that I feel that this is all on Randy Lerner for allowing this to continue. What has Randy done? He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and all he did was inherit the team when his dad passed away. With that said, I think that were Al still alive this crap WOULD NOT be happening, as they were starting to head in the right direction. Unfortunately after he passed away the wheels fell off! Randy is so hands off. At this point were I the owner I'd be flaming mad, considering I still have a number of former coaches and front office staff still on the payroll! It must be nice to p*** away millions of dollars! It's HIS business, not Mike Holmgrens, not Pat Shurmurs, HIS! Were it me, I'd lay it out to Holmgren and company that this isn't a free ride on the way to retirement! If Randy truly cares about his business, he would speak up now! Otherwise he should sell the team to someone who would be truly committed to restoring the great tradition that is the Cleveland Browns! What he have here is a mockery! Being this far apart from Baltimore, and Pittsburgh in talent is unacceptable, and us Browns fans deserve better!

And you being 25. I feel for you, because you haven't seen the Browns win, or were too young to remember how it felt in Cleveland back then. It was absolutely electric! My son is 8, and I'm afraid I'm losing him as a fan. He wanted the Ravens to win, because he knows the Browns aren't going anywhere, but doesn't want the Steelers to win the division again, and get to another Super Bowl. I keep having to try to sell him on how you need to stay loyal to your team and your hometown, because that is what you do, and to be a bandwagon fan is just shallow (you know what I'm talking about with the wanna-be Ohio born Steelers fans here in NE Ohio and everywhere else)! But what else can I do? He hasn't seen anything indicative of the Browns winning consistently being around the corner. I don't think he was truly rooting for the Ravens, but I think that he is so frustrated that the Browns keep losing. It would be nice to not have to root for the team you despise to lose just to feel somewhat better about football Sundays, because your favorite team can't win, but that is what it's come down to.

Oh well! Maybe Next Year!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
My nephew lives in Strongsville and is a rabid Steelers fan. The Browns sucking is the only thing keeping him from getting beat up....

Old 12-05-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My nephew lives in Strongsville and is a rabid Steelers fan. The Browns sucking is the only thing keeping him from getting beat up....

I figured it would be the other around.

I remember dee-jaying one of the local clubs on a Saturday night before a Browns-Steelers game. In fact it was our home opener for the 2007 season. The bouncers stopped letting in anyone with Steelers gear on. I think the reason being was that a few patrons wearing Steelers gear already in the bar almost caused a riot just by being in there with Steelers gear! They had to be asked to leave as well. It almost got pretty ugly. It didn't help that they started taunting people either. Not wise to taunt Browns fans! I've seen it happen too many times where a fan of the opposing team will start running their mouths and then end up having to pick their teeth up off of the ground. I realize it's only a game, but I can't speak for other fans. Now on the other hand I do tend to get p***ed when someone starts trashing the city along with the team, because hey, I live here! Good natured ribbing is one thing. Taunting, and being an a-hole about it is another!

At any rate, I'll be a good sport despite my dislike for the Steelers, and say good luck Thursday, though I'm sure that you aren't going to need it.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

At any rate, I'll be a good sport despite my dislike for the Steelers, and say good luck Thursday, though I'm sure that you aren't going to need it.
Thanks!
But if both teams play the way they did yesterday, we won't need it....

The nephew from Strongsville will be at the game with our son. He will be beside himself. I am happy he gets to go to this game!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:21 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
I think the "hiatus" royally screwed the franchise. It's been a disaster since. Bad drafting is another issue. All the guys are busts or get traded away. A major issue, I think, is ownership. I get the feeling Lerner cares more about Aston Villa than he does the Browns.

Cleveland is an old school NFL franchise. The NFL was not the same when they were gone and I've been happy they've been back since. I really hope things get on track.

As a Lions fan, I feel the pain.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I hear you loud and clear gobucks. The more I think about it, the more that I feel that this is all on Randy Lerner for allowing this to continue. What has Randy done? He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and all he did was inherit the team when his dad passed away. With that said, I think that were Al still alive this crap WOULD NOT be happening, as they were starting to head in the right direction. Unfortunately after he passed away the wheels fell off! Randy is so hands off. At this point were I the owner I'd be flaming mad, considering I still have a number of former coaches and front office staff still on the payroll! It must be nice to p*** away millions of dollars! It's HIS business, not Mike Holmgrens, not Pat Shurmurs, HIS! Were it me, I'd lay it out to Holmgren and company that this isn't a free ride on the way to retirement! If Randy truly cares about his business, he would speak up now! Otherwise he should sell the team to someone who would be truly committed to restoring the great tradition that is the Cleveland Browns! What he have here is a mockery! Being this far apart from Baltimore, and Pittsburgh in talent is unacceptable, and us Browns fans deserve better!

And you being 25. I feel for you, because you haven't seen the Browns win, or were too young to remember how it felt in Cleveland back then. It was absolutely electric! My son is 8, and I'm afraid I'm losing him as a fan. He wanted the Ravens to win, because he knows the Browns aren't going anywhere, but doesn't want the Steelers to win the division again, and get to another Super Bowl. I keep having to try to sell him on how you need to stay loyal to your team and your hometown, because that is what you do, and to be a bandwagon fan is just shallow (you know what I'm talking about with the wanna-be Ohio born Steelers fans here in NE Ohio and everywhere else)! But what else can I do? He hasn't seen anything indicative of the Browns winning consistently being around the corner. I don't think he was truly rooting for the Ravens, but I think that he is so frustrated that the Browns keep losing. It would be nice to not have to root for the team you despise to lose just to feel somewhat better about football Sundays, because your favorite team can't win, but that is what it's come down to.

Oh well! Maybe Next Year!
Great post!

I’m so glad you brought up Randy Lerner! Usually when I bring him up in a debate with other Browns fans, they just kind of shrug and act of if it’s an irrelevant point, but it’s really relevant in my opinion. You’re so right; he simply inherited the team from someone who actually cared, which was his father. And since his dad loved the team, I believe Randy keeps a hold of the team as a sentimental type of thing. His “thing” is his soccer team in England that he spends his time focusing on. He lives in England full-time because of his team and from what I know is pretty hands on with things. Because of him being focused on his soccer team, I believe it has affected the Browns. Why? Well, I think if we had an owner who cared more, things would have been done quicker and better already. Sure, Holmgren has a lot of control on what’s going on, but the owner of any business has the most power. If the Browns had an owner who paid attention to the team and what was going on, they could have the power to demand things get done or decisions be made or something. For example, if I were owner, I sure as hell would have told Holmgren and Heckert to get a coach in here who would make a difference. I would pretty much demand we not take a chance on a coordinator with no experience and to send me the bill to write a check to a coach who has proven himself and will make a difference in some way right off the bat. Cleveland is the last team that should be taking chances on hoping coordinators turn into good head coaches. Basically, I think if we had an owner in there who cared more and was a little more hands on, better decisions would be made and more would be expected from our president and general manager. Just my opinion and I’m glad you mentioned him. Maybe Mark Cuban should buy the team haha!

And yeah, me being 25 is a double edge sword. My age means I’m young and can still look at great looking girls without being creepy (haha!), however when it comes to being a Cleveland sports fan, especially with the Browns, it’s pretty crappy. Sure, I do remember the 90’s with the Indians, and those were some amazing times, but they never won the title, and I still remember crying after the 1997 World Series. And the Cavs were exciting with LeBron, but they never won anything when it boiled down to it. And then there are the Browns. I have been a Browns fan since my younger age from what I can remember because of my dad. I remember the Browns leaving in 1995, but mainly because of how big of a deal it was. I don’t remember a game from pre-1995. I do however remember games since 1999 and I have NEVER had a season where I felt happy on Sundays. Well, 2007 I had a great time watching, but most of my memory since the age of 12 when they came back has been nothing but losing, bad coaches, horrible draft picks, and unhappiness with every single Browns fan.

And you sound like my step-dad when you say the days of the Browns winning made the city electric…in fact, you sound like every fan who got to see them win, and I’m so so so ready to have the city feeling like that because I know it’s there. I talked to my step-dad yesterday after I got home and he told me that it’s amazing to see how many empty seats there were at the stadium before the game yesterday because back “in the day” when the Browns were winners, nothing, not even the worst snow storm, rain storm, or world ending circumstances would have kept that stadium from not filling every single seat. I honestly don’t understand that. I can’t fathom having a Browns team on the field where the city was excited about the team and where ticket scalpers are scalping tickets for more than $10 like I saw last night. I love the Browns, but I have no idea what it’s like for them to win. But, I know the passion is there somewhere and if the Browns ever win the Super Bowl, it’ll make New Orleans’ celebration of the Saints look like a tea party.

And that ‘s a shame about your son rooting for the Ravens, but like you said, what on earth can you sell the kid about the Browns? Since your son was born the Browns have had 4 different coaches and a combined record of 47 – 93. And it makes me wonder, how will the Browns keep their young fans? Sure, parents like you can tell them being a bandwagon rider is as lame as it can get, and you can try and tell them the history of the Browns, but with the media focusing on winning teams so much, especially one in close proximity to Cleveland (****tsburgh being the main one), how can we really expect the young fans to be loyal? Winning makes it easy, but the really young fans have a hard time being interested in something that isn’t exciting and something that people don’t talk about. Just think, in another 12 years your son will be 20, which will be 24 years since the Browns came back in 1999. Are all the 20 year olds going to be rooting for the Browns if they haven’t had a winning team in 24 years?!? Probably not, and that’s a scary thought. And it’s sa scary thought to think we could easily go another 12 years of losing.

And speaking of those front-running Steeler fans. We were in a bar yesterday before the game and of course some front running Pittsburgh fans were in there running their mouths and watching them beat the Bengals. But, what set them apart is when one of their players did something good, they would yell things like :”Good job number 68!” Or “Great hit 75!”. It’s like, really? He plays for “your” team and you don’t know his freaking name? If the Browns win anytime soon those will be the first of people buying Browns jerseys, you watch.

Good God, sorry to rant, but I felt like talking on each point. For our sake, I really hope things can turn around, Cleveland has one of the best fan bases around. We don’t deserve this.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 PM

41,963 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
A major issue, I think, is ownership. I get the feeling Lerner cares more about Aston Villa than he does the Browns.
This. And there's no "think" about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football