Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:53 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Done!
Giants...all the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 11:53 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
I think it will be 49ers vs Ravens Harbowl Rematch.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I think it will be 49ers vs Ravens Harbowl Rematch.
49ers = The next best thing since sliced bread!

I love Harbaugh and think he's done a great job and for the record, I've never disliked the 49rs but thanks to you, I wish they lose every game!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:24 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Harbaugh has done a great job, but 49ers can't do it this year, being realistic! They need more offense, can't win big games with just field goals and being shut out in the red zone.

I also feel the same way about the Lions and Broncos. I realize strange things can happen but just don't see it. Of the 3, Lions have the best chance.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the wild card games this weekend.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:02 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I initially said Packers/Steelers again, then Packers/Ravens, now I'm having doubts about the Packers getting past the Saints. I think they can beat the Giants in Lambeau but Saints are hot, hot, hot and scarey!
Saints vs. 49ers, assuming it happens, will be a good game, but I think the Saints passing is going to play into the 49ers weakness. Maybe the 49ers can put pressure on Brees and force him into uncomfortable passing situations. The Niners are good at stopping the run, so I won't count them out completely.

The other problem for the Niners is on the other side of the ball. Alex Smith has been really solid this year, but I think the Saints are going to force the 49ers to open it up in the red zone, which is where the Niners offense has struggled this year. When you have to keep pace with the Saints passing attack, that can force teams to throw more. I think the game will be close for 3 quarters but the Saints will probably pull away late.

The Saints vs. Packers - if it happens - would be an even more intriguing matchup. The one reason why I think the Saints would have an edge this time around, despite losing in week 1, is the fact that the Saints have improved offensively and defensively since that first game. It looked like they had ring rust then. But not now. They're a well-oiled machine now. I don't think anyone can stop Aaron Rodgers, but some teams can possibly slow him down, and the Saints might be one of those teams. The real question is how the Packers secondary will perform against Brees. Charles Woodson and company don't like quite as good as they used to. It's like they've lost a step or two, and I think that's a bad sign if they end up playing the Saints. I don't think the cold will be a huge factor - it might be, but I think Brees can play through it.

But all that discussion could end up being moot. The individual match-ups make games. There's so much parity now compared to what used to be back when I first started watching football. The era of those swaggering Bears, 49ers, Cowboys, Giants, and Skins teams of the 1980s and 90s are long gone. Any team can be tested on a given day. I sometimes miss the era of dominant teams, but it's definitely more exciting from game to game the way it is now.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I don't like to be overly critical, but the league is what it is now, love it or hate it, somewhere in the middle, leans toward more offense.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but a team with minimal offense will have a hard time keeping up. Yes, those QBs have done some good things but you have to compare apples to apples. Saying oh, they are so clutch, or not many interceptions, hello, you have to throw the ball first!

Playoffs are going to be very interesting, "can't wait" for this weekend. Yes, the Saints could give the Packers trouble big time. I don't buy the hype they can't play outside, please, not a reason. Packers have trouble with slippery balls in cold weather, although they do practice outside.

Last edited by susancruzs; 01-03-2012 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-03-2012, 01:11 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,400,402 times
If you don't believe the hype look at the Saints last two outdoor games. They almost lost to Tennessee with a backup qb in and lost to a dismal Tampa Bay.

Not saying the Saints aren't a very good team, but they've been getting a lot of hype because of Brees's record and the last three games, two of which were against sub 500 teams all three games were in domes.

If they do end up playing the Packers one big stat stands out that the Pack finished the season with +24 turnover ratio and the Saints were at -3 (31-9 ints). When two high powered offenses come together it usually comes down to who turns the ball over with that edge going to the Pack especially at Lambeau in January. Obviously this could mean nothing, but these teams are pretty close in every aspect.

The Niners have a great D but I don't see that offense being strong enough to make it through the NFC much less to the Super Bowl. There's a reason 2 of their 8 pro bowlers were their kicker and punter. They will be tough next season.

The wild card teams/Giants have their work cut out for them. It will all depend on which team shows up.

AFC could really be anyones but I'd go with the Ravens as Pitt has a couple big injuries and NE D is terrible, not too mention they've choked the past couple years big time.

I'm a little biased but I don't see the Packers not being able to repeat. The offense is too potent, they get a few starters back that have been out, and the D will give up a ton of yards, but will do what is necessary to get it done.

If the games were going through the Super dome I might think otherwise though...

Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I was thinking about if both the Steelers and Bengals won this weekend. How many times have three teams from one division made it to the second round of the playoffs?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 AM

733 posts, read 1,756,528 times
Regardless of the outcome, I'm just happy that The Lions are finally in! After being depressed after the regular season every year, I'm finally excited...even though we do have to play The Saints! My prediction though on the Superbowl is that it'll be between The saints and The Patriots. I'm not really too impressed by any team in the AFC though, so my guess is that the Superbowl will not be a great game this year. I'm more looking forward to the NFC side of the playoffs.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
Regardless of the outcome, I'm just happy that The Lions are finally in! After being depressed after the regular season every year, I'm finally excited...even though we do have to play The Saints! My prediction though on the Superbowl is that it'll be between The saints and The Patriots. I'm not really too impressed by any team in the AFC though, so my guess is that the Superbowl will not be a great game this year. I'm more looking forward to the NFC side of the playoffs.
I think Lions will upset the Saints in a shoot-out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football