Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,061,713 times

Advertisements

Not sure what ya'll are talking about... He did shake Caughlin's hand after the game and then walked off. What do you want him to do? A chest bump and a wet kiss on Caughlin's lips?? He was civil and did shake hands... Nothing cheery, nothing unsportsmanlike period. Seems like folks keep putting every single thing he does under the microscope and then hate on him. Other coaches have done much worse things (i.e Brian Bellick, Bill Belichick, Rex Ryan, Jack Del Rio etc..) The guy is a great coach but he's human and is not very cheery after losses! I got no problem with him. Wish my team had him as the coach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:19 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
I thought I saw a hand shake as well.. at least he got close enough to shake his hand and then quickly moved on.. I get that. He's pissed.. probably more than usual. Some coaches are 'golly shucks' and some aren't, so what! I don't think he did anything to insult or discredit the Giants.. he simply got off the field. As for taking with the media.. he was pissed.. probably didn't want to get caught saying something he would regret.. no big deal to me..

As was already pointed out, a lot of fans would want him to coach their teams... a lot!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:30 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Slight exageration on someone's part and he will never be Rex Ryan, Rex is all alone in that area.

He shook his hand, they aren't going to stand and chit chat! Harbaugh is who he is, no false pretenses there, over half the teams in the NFL would be more than glad to have him.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
There was a brief handshake, not sure that makes Harbaugh a tool. It's football, and after a winning season and having it end the way it did, it had to sting. You can't expect a make-out session between coaches after the end of each game.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Wasn't he the guy who practically asaulted the Lions coach instead of just shaking his hand? And now he refuses to shake Tom Coughlin's hand, one of the nicest guys in the league and he refuses to talk to the press.

And they said Mike Singletary was a wingnut. I would take Singletary 7 days a week over that guy.
I think what they mean is that Harbaugh's one of the nicest, most stand-up guys off the field. On the field, he's a completely different guy; bitterly competitive. Lots of athletes and coaches - or even CEOs and ordinary people - are like that for that matter, though. Wouldn't single out Harbaugh.

He's just the kind of guy I'd want as a coach, though. I think that sort of thing rubs off on players. You want a guy to reinforce the message that opponents are to be stomped mercilessly into the ground. You can be classy when the season and the competition's over.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times
The Harbaugh Bros are borderline thugs. With that out of the way, I have no idea why the NFL adopted a rule making the coaches shake hands after a game.

It's stupid and needs to go.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
No. I'd call this a false rumor. He did in fact shake Coughlin's hand.

I think that the Lions' coach was the jerk in that other exchange you mention as Harbaugh was just excited.
If he's as smart as he thinks he is, he should take note on how Coughlin acted during that handshake.

At the end of a bitterly contested, emotional, OT game - on the road in a hostile environment - under a microscope where your job security is questioned every week - he simply went to mid field, in a calm and collected manner and acted like a professional and acted like he's done it before, because quite frankly he has

I'm sure going to the SB wasn't nearly as exciting as winning a regular season game in detroit - but somehow Coughlin was able to maintain

Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think what they mean is that Harbaugh's one of the nicest, most stand-up guys off the field. On the field, he's a completely different guy; bitterly competitive. Lots of athletes and coaches - or even CEOs and ordinary people - are like that for that matter, though. Wouldn't single out Harbaugh.

He's just the kind of guy I'd want as a coach, though. I think that sort of thing rubs off on players. You want a guy to reinforce the message that opponents are to be stomped mercilessly into the ground. You can be classy when the season and the competition's over.
I disagree. I think there's a HUGE need to stay classy during the season and, indeed, during a game. Some of the best players are also the players who help each other up after a hard hit. They are the ones who slap an opposing player on the helmet after he's injured.

The classy players are also the ones who keep the hotheads from doing stupid things on the field that cause penalties. (When you are so "bitterly competitive" you cause your team to loose yardage, something's wrong IMO.)

Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
The Harbaugh Bros are borderline thugs. \
Do you have proof of that or are you just making accusations?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:28 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,610,724 times
Great coach. **** poor loser. Didn't do a post game interview on TV either. He's kind of a d-bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would take Singletary 7 days a week over that guy.
You're delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football