Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 PM

880 posts, read 1,799,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Wasn't he the guy who practically asaulted the Lions coach instead of just shaking his hand? And now he refuses to shake Tom Coughlin's hand, one of the nicest guys in the league and he refuses to talk to the press.

And they said Mike Singletary was a wingnut. I would take Singletary 7 days a week over that guy.
Well then I guess you'd be content on going back to being a 8-8 team at best, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I disagree. I think there's a HUGE need to stay classy during the season and, indeed, during a game. Some of the best players are also the players who help each other up after a hard hit. They are the ones who slap an opposing player on the helmet after he's injured.

The classy players are also the ones who keep the hotheads from doing stupid things on the field that cause penalties. (When you are so "bitterly competitive" you cause your team to loose yardage, something's wrong IMO.)
I've seen it work two ways. I've seen some coaches operate with 'class' and be both successful and unsuccessful, and I've seen coaches operate with a bit of an edge and a mean streak be both successful and unsuccessful. I think what matters is how coaches communicate their 'respect for the game' or their 'edge'. They have to do it, and stay balanced. "Respect for the game" can't turn into a farce like it did for Coach Nolan, who looked utterly ridiculous wearing his suit and tie (no disrespect to his late father, but it sent the message to the team that he had other things on his mind than just coaching football). By that same token, a coach can't let 'edge' turn into a lack of discipline like it has for some of the Raiders' last few coaches.

Whatever personality a coach brings, it has to be authentic, and balanced.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
After the AFC Championship when he lost with Indy to Pittsburgh and there was questionable call on the last pass, he had a smile on his face and basically said you win some, you lose some so I dont know how you can call him a cry baby. He is a competitor. I think sometimes coaches are too politically correct. A real coach is a competitor and should be pissed off when they lose.
What questionable call? The ball hit the turf. Incomplete. Game over.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Great coach. **** poor loser. Didn't do a post game interview on TV either. He's kind of a d-bag.
His brother's even worse.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Even though this thread was started on a false accusation, the Harbaugh brothers are currently lighting rods for discussion at this moment. Since there has already been some valid points made, this thread will stay. But I will edit the falsehood out of the OP

I'll say this, I prefer the quiet coaches that go about their business. I don't know if Coughlin falls into this category, but he would more so than either Hardbaugh. Belicheck, for all his faults absolutely falls into that category, so I was happy with the results from that perspective.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
If I was a coach and my team got beat by a better team I think I'd show a little bit more positive and respectful emotion (i.e. chit chat with the opposing coach and wish him luck). Where as if my team just lost because of some bonehead turnovers that were HUGE in the outcome of the game I'd probably be pretty darn pissed off and prefer to keep it short and sweet.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
If I was a coach and my team got beat by a better team I think I'd show a little bit more positive and respectful emotion (i.e. chit chat with the opposing coach and wish him luck). Where as if my team just lost because of some bonehead turnovers that were HUGE in the outcome of the game I'd probably be pretty darn pissed off and prefer to keep it short and sweet.
When you are a fan of a team or a hater of another team, it is easy to delude yourself into thoughts like the one above.
Turnovers are a huge factor in every game, that's football. Count the niner's lucky that Osi didn't hold on to the Smith fumble in the first half.
Also, it was one-sided officiating in the niner's favor (no, Bradshaw did not fumble. The play was dead. It is a clear rule and every analyst has said that the refs got the call correct).
BTW, 1-13 on third down conversions are not gonna win you many games.
Let's just face the fact that the Giants are the better team. They almost beat the niner's earlier in the year with a skeleton crew.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
When you are a fan of a team or a hater of another team, it is easy to delude yourself into thoughts like the one above.
Turnovers are a huge factor in every game, that's football. Count the niner's lucky that Osi didn't hold on to the Smith fumble in the first half.
Also, it was one-sided officiating in the niner's favor (no, Bradshaw did not fumble. The play was dead. It is a clear rule and every analyst has said that the refs got the call correct).
BTW, 1-13 on third down conversions are not gonna win you many games.
Let's just face the fact that the Giants are the better team. They almost beat the niner's earlier in the year with a skeleton crew.
Giants may be a better team but it's not a good sign if it takes your team 5 quarters to beat a team like the Niners who like you said, went 1-13 on 3rd downs and had a QB who might be a 2nd or 3rd string QB else where in 2013.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I think all the media hype about how "awesome" he is has gotten to his head. He kind of kept it at a decent level coaching in the college level, but since hitting the pro's he's kind of turned into an egotistical ass. I appreciate intensity and passion for the game and his job, but he can be such a sore loser and cry baby, yet when things go his way and other's act out of place, he'll easily point the finger. Didn't he turn down interviews after the game tonight? Maybe I heard wrong on that, so don't quote me.
I couldnt agree more. The guy is a full blown egotistical maniac. I was on the fence about who I wanted to play in the superbowl between the Giants and 49ers but the Harbaugh factor pushed me in favor of the Giants. He didnt even acknowledge Tom Coughlin. What a classless jerk!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:41 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
No. I'd call this a false rumor. He did in fact shake Coughlin's hand.

I think that the Lions' coach was the jerk in that other exchange you mention as Harbaugh was just excited.
Nonsense. Had Coughlin and the Giants lost the game, he would have acknowledged him for longer than the split second he extended his hand and pulled it away. Even Coughlin was a bit surprised by the move.

As per your comment about the Schwarz come on.. you are obviously not being objective so i'll just point out that your position is ridiculous. Harbaugh was disrespectful..excited or not...but that doesnt take away from the excellent job his team did against the Lions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football