Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Pro Bowl be stopped
Yes, kill it. 84 66.14%
No, I like it. 28 22.05%
No opinion. 15 11.81%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

There is a report that Roger Goodell might even kill the Pro Bowl (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhqpCvcYTqkqNlqXV6zzFNZDubYF?slug=ap-goodell-probowl - broken link) due to what he feels is the poor play last week at the 2012 game.

I rarely ever watch even a few minutes of Pro Bowl play and consider it a cartoon of a game.

I won't miss it if they do away with it.

If they must do something, have a special show the week after the Super Bowl to provide a couple hours worth of the season's best and worst plays, worst calls by the refs, best fan antics, etc. THAT would be far more entertaining.

So, should the NFL kill the Pro Bowl?

Please vote and/or comment.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
I did watch the thing and it was disgusting. The only thing I liked about it was how the NFC tried to punk the AFC with the special teams play and the AFC did some cheating of their own. I saw Cam Newton get exposed for the rookie he is.

Brandon Marshall sure was all smiles huh? He was probably the only one out there thinking this was a real game. Good for him winning his mom the GMC.

If anything, they have GOT to move that venue from Hawaii and place it somewhere that they can draw more than the 15,000 folks they had on hand for that game.

Now, could Roger Goodell put a moritorium on these Patriot-Giants Super Bowls too? That would be nice.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:44 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Good god yes. The Pro Bowl is the single most contrived all-star game in professional sports. The fan vote makes it a popularity contest, and the special rules make it an arena league game played on an NFL field. It's not an accurate reflection of talent or true NFL play.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
Yes it is time to end the Pro Bowl.

It has turned into a flag football contest----essentially it is a paid vacation in Hawaii without any benefits for the viewer.

The players have admitted they are worried about getting injured----there is about zero physical play----no defense----and finally the players really dont seem to be too involved in the actual game and who wins.

This game has become boring, dull, and is ready for the scrap heap. I dont think there can be any real changes that can make this game interesting for the fans again.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:03 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
So long as they can fill the seats and continue to get endorsement revenue/paid tv commercials, the game will go on. The only upside to the pro bowl is the revenue pumped into the local economy for that weekend.

Me personally, I don't watch it. It's a glorified scrimmage.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
So long as they can fill the seats and continue to get endorsement revenue/paid tv commercials, the game will go on. The only upside to the pro bowl is the revenue pumped into the local economy for that weekend.

Me personally, I don't watch it. It's a glorified scrimmage.
Actually, they lose money on the game (the state of Hawaii) but I think it's great for their tourist trade.

I have no idea how it can be. I'm an NFL rube and I haven't watched a probowl for 20+ years.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:33 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
I think they should keep it for the principal of it... not because it an exciting game.

The only reason it sucks now is because they have tried to come up with so many ways to keep guys from getting hurt instead of just playing the game. If they have been playing the pro bowl for all these years then its fine to have it played now. All the NFL has to do is make the winning amount 3 or 4x more than the loser and trust me guys will compete. If its 100K to the winners and 25K to the losers guys will get motivated to play.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:51 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,972 times
Yes, it should go, yesterday!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I always say its pretty much completely pointless as it is now. I'd like to see them do something along the lines of competition among the best players. Longest kicks, most accurate punts, longest fieldgoals, longest passes, fastest returns, that kind of thing. Its not like the All Star game where the game is actually competition and the players put effort into it.
Or stage a completely different game and have pro players complelely uninvolved. Have some contracts awarded to ex players and players or potential players who never made the cut and let them play their hearts out in a scrimmage. Call it a reality TV deal, whatever. There's got to be talent overlooked out there.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Will be interesting to see what they do, as it is definitely to the forefront now with players and the commish talking about it. Hawaii would definitely suffer a hit on the tourism end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football