Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:41 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
How many people would be shocked if the Skins lose to the Eagles tonight?
Not shocked that they lost but shocked at how bad they played...

I expected Chip Kelly's offense to play well... that speed just seems to fit his style like a glove but I did not expect the Eagles defense to play that well, or for the Redskins offense to play that bad. RGIII was horrible, there are just no two ways about it..

To be honest, even if RGIII had played well, I think the Eagles would have still won. They took their foot off the gas the entire 2nd half... this game could have easily been 50-7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Good ole Chargers. Different year, different coach, same exact team. Do Rivers & Romo take bets preseason to see which can end the year with more choke jobs??

For the record, Romo does not choke (until December). He's fabulous is Sept.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Okay, I'll say it if nobody else will.

The fact that the Jaguars have not signed Tebow by now is proof positive they are not serious about winning or generating greater interest in the team within the local market. After that abysmal performance by Blaine Gabbert, I don't see how that team has anywhere to go but up. Would Tebow be able to do it? I don't know, maybe they'd still be lousy, but they'd be lousy in front of a bigger home crowd on game day. And who knows, maybe Tebow can lead them to a few improbable wins.

The Jags are coming off a 2-14 season and after what we saw yesterday are a legitimate candidate to go 0-16 this season. Keep in mind that, while much improved this year, the Chiefs also were 2-14 last year. The fact that Gabbert is on the Jags' roster and Tebow isn't tells me this team is satisfied with status quo.

The Jags front office is saving their money for that future move to LA.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
The Jags front office is saving their money for that future move to LA.
as has been widely documented, the term of the lease pretty much ensures that they won't be moving, if they were to break the lease, the NFL books would be opened for review and that ain't happening because the league would lose their anti-trust exemption in the process.

LA will continue to be left as the ace-in-the-hole for future stadium extortions, er...I mean negotiations

Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Typical Chargers choke job.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 PM

39 posts, read 54,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Okay, I'll say it if nobody else will.

The fact that the Jaguars have not signed Tebow by now is proof positive they are not serious about winning or generating greater interest in the team within the local market. After that abysmal performance by Blaine Gabbert, I don't see how that team has anywhere to go but up. Would Tebow be able to do it? I don't know, maybe they'd still be lousy, but they'd be lousy in front of a bigger home crowd on game day. And who knows, maybe Tebow can lead them to a few improbable wins.

The Jags are coming off a 2-14 season and after what we saw yesterday are a legitimate candidate to go 0-16 this season. Keep in mind that, while much improved this year, the Chiefs also were 2-14 last year. The fact that Gabbert is on the Jags' roster and Tebow isn't tells me this team is satisfied with status quo.
The Jags haven't signed Tebow because, contrary to what it may seem, they're at least trying to be a decent football team. Tebow does not belong in the NFL. Maybe as an H-Back or something, but even then there are lots of better options. He can't play quarterback and he never will be able to. He was a spectacular college player, but that was in college. He has no place on the roster of an NFL team that actually wants to win. I'm sure he's a great guy, he's a fiery leader and a hard worker. That's great. But it means nothing if the dude can't play, and he can't.

The only reason they'd bring him in is to completely sell out solely to increase ticket sales. And how long would that last? They might get huge crowds for the first few games, but no one is gonna keep going to every game when they're finishing 5-11 or 3-13 regardless of who's under center. I think the fact that they haven't signed him says more about Tebow than it does the Jags.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:12 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
as has been widely documented, the term of the lease pretty much ensures that they won't be moving, if they were to break the lease, the NFL books would be opened for review and that ain't happening because the league would lose their anti-trust exemption in the process.

LA will continue to be left as the ace-in-the-hole for future stadium extortions, er...I mean negotiations

The NFL allowed Art Modell to move the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore while still in a lease with the city of Cleveland. And the Browns I can tell you were more popular than the Jags are. No disrespect to Jacksonville, or their fans, as I hope it doesn't happen, but if the Browns can move, anyone can.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
The NFL allowed Art Modell to move the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore while still in a lease with the city of Cleveland. And the Browns I can tell you were more popular than the Jags are. No disrespect to Jacksonville, or their fans, as I hope it doesn't happen, but if the Browns can move, anyone can.
Amen

Old 09-10-2013, 03:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
the terms of the Jacksonville lease stipulates that the Jags must demonstrate that they are losing money (relative to the league avg) to break the lease, they won't do that because they would have to open the books for the Jags as well as every other team...and that ain't happening for at least another 30-something years.

The city of Cleveland obviously had a breakable lease or they could have gotten an injunction to prevent the team from leaving.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:19 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomusic01 View Post
The Jags haven't signed Tebow because, contrary to what it may seem, they're at least trying to be a decent football team. Tebow does not belong in the NFL. Maybe as an H-Back or something, but even then there are lots of better options. He can't play quarterback and he never will be able to. He was a spectacular college player, but that was in college. He has no place on the roster of an NFL team that actually wants to win. I'm sure he's a great guy, he's a fiery leader and a hard worker. That's great. But it means nothing if the dude can't play, and he can't.

The only reason they'd bring him in is to completely sell out solely to increase ticket sales. And how long would that last? They might get huge crowds for the first few games, but no one is gonna keep going to every game when they're finishing 5-11 or 3-13 regardless of who's under center. I think the fact that they haven't signed him says more about Tebow than it does the Jags.
The Jags with B.G. are a real candidate to go 0-16. Chad Henne is starting this week in Oakland, so they at least have a shot to put some offensive points on the board, but even with Henne they are not going to win too many games, maybe 3 or 4 tops. Tebow is probably better than that. The Broncos, the only team that actually gave him an appreciable amount of playing time, were a complete disaster (1-4) and in the running for a top 5 pick for the second straight season when Tebow took over. They went 7-4 with him at QB and made the playoffs. I'll take a playoff spot over a top 5 draft pick every year.

I'm not saying Tebow would lead the Jags to the playoffs. I'm just saying he can make them a better team. If the team ownership and coaching staff are content to play for the #1 draft spot just 1 game into the season, so be it. It does explain why they have such a hard time selling tickets, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football