Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better QB?
Brady 38 48.72%
Manning 40 51.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 01:34 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times

Advertisements

They're both equally as good but in different ways...

The main thing here for both these guys:

They've both won super bowls
They've both won super bowl MVP's
They've both won league MVP's
They've both turned not so good teams into very good teams
They've both turned "no-named" receivers into stars

They'll both also be first-ballot HoFers in the future.....

Old 10-03-2013, 02:21 PM

513 posts, read 696,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
And Brady had the one thing Manning didn't - a solid defense. There's also the matter of that Vinatieri guy who doesn't get enough credit for kicking game-winning field goals in both the divisional round and the Super Bowl in 2001.

Nobody's saying Brady's a bad QB, but when it comes to dissecting a defense and completely controlling an offense, Manning is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Brady.

On top of that, nobody really knows how much the Patriots benefitted from *cough*cheating*cough* videotaping other teams' walkthroughs.
Light years? C'mon now, they are very close.

Video taping walkthroughs? You're the guy who throws out spygate without knowing any of the facts. Got it

Old 10-04-2013, 06:47 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Are you saying the guys you listed for Manning are not good players?

I said half his career, as in pre 2007. Every single guy you listed besides branch were 2007 or after. Both Wayne and Harrison are better than any wr brady had before 2007. Manning also always had a very good line and plenty of time to throw.
They were good players, but benefited a lot from the system and playing with Manning. Of the group, I think only Harrison and James would have been elite for other teams. Wayne and Clark probably would have been above average to good. People should remember that in 2010 when Clark went down, Jacob Tamme (now a Bronco also) actually came in and outperformed Clark.

Manning's lines were never that great, he made them a lot better than the sum of their parts by making adjustments and always getting the ball out quick.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
They were good players, but benefited a lot from the system and playing with Manning. Of the group, I think only Harrison and James would have been elite for other teams. Wayne and Clark probably would have been above average to good. People should remember that in 2010 when Clark went down, Jacob Tamme (now a Bronco also) actually came in and outperformed Clark.

Manning's lines were never that great, he made them a lot better than the sum of their parts by making adjustments and always getting the ball out quick.
Wayne had 1300 yards, at 34, btw, without manning. I guess that is just decent?

Brady has had a good line, but I find it funny that everyone forgets that Cassell was sacked more than any qb in the league in 2008. I think that shows Brady made his lines look better than they really were

Old 10-04-2013, 07:36 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Light years? C'mon now, they are very close.

Video taping walkthroughs? You're the guy who throws out spygate without knowing any of the facts. Got it
And you're obviously a Brady/Patriots homer who gets offended when people question New England's greatness or suggest that Peyton Manning might be a better quarterback than Tom Terrific.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
And you're obviously a Brady/Patriots homer who gets offended when people question New England's greatness or suggest that Peyton Manning might be a better quarterback than Tom Terrific.
Nope, was looking for factual debates. If you want to say the pats filmed practices, I could say the Colts pumped in crowd noise into the stadium. See how that works? You're arguing dismissed cases. Peyton has a tendency to choke on the biggest stage which puts Brady slightly ahead of him for me. Yes, Brady had had a few of those plays/games as well. However, Manning has made a career of it

Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Wayne had 1300 yards, at 34, btw, without manning. I guess that is just decent?
Which he did as the focal point of the offense, with arguably the best rookie QB in ages and a very good offensive coordinator. Wayne is a good player...no question...but he would not be the elite player he has been without help.

Quote:
Brady has had a good line, but I find it funny that everyone forgets that Cassell was sacked more than any qb in the league in 2008. I think that shows Brady made his lines look better than they really were
Brady had arguably the best line in the league for awhile, though they have tailed off some. Cassel has always had a problem holding onto the ball too long. That is one reason Josh McDaniels moved from an offense heavy in vertical routes in 2007 to more of a West Coast Offense with Cassel in 2008.

Quote:
They are both masterful at it, they just have different approaches. Brady loves to use motion to create matchup problems, catch defenses out of place and open up receivers. Manning, on the other hand, doesn't use much motion (he himself admitted he likes to know where everyone is pre-snap) and instead prefers to use personnel packages and formations to get defenses to declare pre-snap. One of his favorite tricks was to use 12 personnel (1 back, 2 tight ends) with one tight end split out into the slot. If the defense used a base set with the LB on the slot TE, Manning would exploit that matchup with the pass. If they used a sub package with an extra corner or safety on the TE, they would run it.

Ironically enough though, with the addition of Welker and Adam Gase taking over as the Offensive Coordinator, we're looking more like the 2007-current Patriots offense rather than the old Colts offenses.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:32 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Quote:
Nope, was looking for factual debates. If you want to say the pats filmed practices, I could say the Colts pumped in crowd noise into the stadium. See how that works? You're arguing dismissed cases. Peyton has a tendency to choke on the biggest stage which puts Brady slightly ahead of him for me. Yes, Brady had had a few of those plays/games as well. However, Manning has made a career of it
No, you are looking for people to give you facts for Brady.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Old 10-05-2013, 10:09 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Nope, was looking for factual debates. If you want to say the pats filmed practices, I could say the Colts pumped in crowd noise into the stadium. See how that works?
Filming practice >>>>worse than pumping in crowd noise. IMO anyway.

Brady has "choked" just as much as Peyton ever since the Pats D has gone from good to average/below average. All those great regular seasons and no ring to show for it. Isn't that what we say about Peyton?

Old 10-05-2013, 12:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Filming practice >>>>worse than pumping in crowd noise. IMO anyway.

Brady has "choked" just as much as Peyton ever since the Pats D has gone from good to average/below average. All those great regular seasons and no ring to show for it. Isn't that what we say about Peyton?
I would pick a QB who "chokes" in the SB over one that doesn't even get there. Not that I would make my decision on that to begin with though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football