Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:35 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

Now that the Monday Night game is over, I'll add the NFC Playoff thread. Like the AFC, the NFC has much to be decided at this point. The pool is a little deeper, too. If the playoffs were to start today, this is what we would see:

1. Seahawks: 8-1

2. Saints: 6-2

3. Lions: 5-3

4. Cowboys: 5-4

5. 49ers: 6-2

6. Panthers: 5-3

In the hunt:

Bears: 5-3

Packers: 5-3

Cardinals: 4-4

Eagles: 4-5

Redskins: 3-5

The North is jammed at the top with three teams all at 5-3. The Bears and Lions play this weekend, so that will help clear some of that up. For now. Also, the East may not be the strongest division, but within itself it is very competitive. That's why the Redskins are still in the hunt at 3-5. The Cowboys have been so inconsistent. No team in that division has a very good defense, but the Eagles, Cowboys and Redskins have all shown flashes of explosiveness on offense that can make this potentially the highest scoring division from top to bottom. Another key game down the stretch will be the Seahawks @ 49ers, which can really go a long way toward solidifying the top seed and the #5 seed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 05:10 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Although I'm not a fan of them, you definitely need to include the NY football Giants as in the hunt. They are only 2 out of the division lead, they play a soft schedule down the road, and their #1 RB is getting healthy. Plus they have a 2 game winning streak.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 AM

True about the Giants. But even in their two wins they benefited greatly from the ineptitude of their opponents. At 2-6 they are in theory still very much alive, especially since the first place Cowboys are likely 5-5 after the Saints get done with them. Even with their two wins, I am simply not convinced they have put enough together to make a run at this broken division. Maybe when they reach 4-6, but not now.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:47 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Another key game down the stretch will be the Seahawks @ 49ers, which can really go a long way toward solidifying the top seed and the #5 seed.
Saints @ Seahawks Monday night Dec 2nd is also a key game in setting the playoff field.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Saints @ Seahawks Monday night Dec 2nd is also a key game in setting the playoff field.
Without a doubt. The Seahawks actually have a pretty winnable schedule outside that game and the 49ers game, though. Falcons and Vikings are in the midst of seasons gone bad. The Seahawks conclude their road slate with the Giants, and that's the week after playing in SF. Then they Gibson up with the Cardinals and Rams at home. I honestly don't see the Seahawks dropping three of four down the stretch. Even after that little scare with the Bucs. I think they finish no worse than 13-3. Maybe even 14-2. Either will probably be good enough for homefield advantage through the playoffs.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,409,932 times
I don't think the Packers will be much more of a threat with Rodgers out possible for the season. Wallace, who is a Seattle reject, will not lead them into the playoffs any time soon.

Looks to me like it will be a battle between the Bears and the Lions for the top spot in the NFC North.

Seattle and 49ers in the NFC West and one of them will be the wild card for sure, the game between the two will decide.

New Orleans will win the NFC South

Dallas seems the most consistence in the NFC East in the most inconsistent East.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:37 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Without a doubt. The Seahawks actually have a pretty winnable schedule outside that game and the 49ers game, though. Falcons and Vikings are in the midst of seasons gone bad. The Seahawks conclude their road slate with the Giants, and that's the week after playing in SF. Then they Gibson up with the Cardinals and Rams at home. I honestly don't see the Seahawks dropping three of four down the stretch. Even after that little scare with the Bucs. I think they finish no worse than 13-3. Maybe even 14-2. Either will probably be good enough for homefield advantage through the playoffs.
The NFC West may come down to most wins in their division or maybe even deeper. They both basically play the same non division schedule. I think only different is two opponents. And while the Hawks play the Saints at home SF has to travel to New Orleans in week eleven.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:54 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
One wild card spot will likely go to second place in the NFC West. The final spot is up for grabs. I do not see any NFC East team grabbing that final spot so it will either go to NFC North or South team. Green Bay needs to do something fast or else their season is over. Maybe bring back Matt Flynn or Vince Young? They will not last under Seneca Wallace.

The NFC East, well all of the teams manage to win their most recent game but looking at the remaining schedule

Cowboys - New Orleans, NYG, Oakland, Chicago, Green Bay, Washington, Philadelphia.
Eagles - Green Bay, Washington, Arizona, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago, Dallas
Redskins - Minnesota, Philadelphia, SF, NYG, Kansas City, Atlanta, Dallas, NYG
Giants - Oakland, Green Bay, Dallas, Washington, San Diego, Seattle, Detroit, Washington

Eagles have to play the entire NFC North. They may have got a break with Green Bay. With Foles they could probably hold their own. Redskins just have SF and KC to worry about but will they take advantage of an opportunity given to them? KC is just one play away from losing a game. Who knows what the Redskins offense have under their sleeves. Their offense is usually full of surprises. SF vs. Washington should be a good test for both teams and affect the playoff race

I do not see the Giants winning another division game this season. They will probably win against Oakland and that's about it. I do not know what to expect from the Cowboys. They have a battle against the Saints and Bears. The Eagles and Redskins won't be the same team they met the first time. They may play well or come up short again.

While Carolina is playing well and on a four game winning streak, they have to play San Francisco and New England in back to back weeks. They have their first match up with New Orleans in Week 14 whereas New Orleans play Seattle, Dallas and San Francisco before that. The Saints aren't walking away with the NFC South yet. Detroit is the favorite in the NFC North. Beside Philadelphia, I do not see any team in their schedule standing in their way. Rodgers is out for a few weeks and the status of Culter playing this week is uncertain. How he will play if he does return?

Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
The NFC West may come down to most wins in their division or maybe even deeper. They both basically play the same non division schedule. I think only different is two opponents. And while the Hawks play the Saints at home SF has to travel to New Orleans in week eleven.
It is always this way. The league rotates the schedules in a very logical and fair system. For example, the NFC West will play each team within the division twice. That's 6 games. They will play an AFC Division, this year the South, so that's another 4 games. They also play a non-division conference slate, which includes a complete division on a rotating basis. This year it is the NFC South. That brings us to 14 games. The last two are the teams from the remaining conference divisions that finished in the rankings corresponding to a given team. For example, the Seahawks came in 2nd last year, so they play the 2nd place teams from the North and East from last season. That happens to be the Vikings and Giants. Those are the only two games that will vary for teams within a division. The other 14 are common opponents.

I love this system because it is fair and logical. Show me a fan complaining about who is on the schedule and I'll show you a fan who doesn't understand the league's scheduling methodology.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 PM

With the Redskins dropping to 3-6 they have slid a little further out of the playoff picture. They were 3-6 last year. That's nice. This is this year. But they are not entirely out of contention. They still have 7 games remaining and are just 2 behind the Cowboys with a home date still remaining against the Cowboys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football