Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:59 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times

Advertisements

This is probably a small thing in the universe, but, what is the point of playing the SB outdoors in the middle of the winter, in an Arctic climate??

OK, somebody probably got paid money to locate this venue (as in sending a Buffalo and a San Diego team to Boise, Idaho to play a bowl game). But, after these NFL teams played entire seasons to get where they are, it makes no sense to potentially sabotage one or both with ridiculous playing conditions. Of course, that probably makes as much sense as the proposed notion of playing a future SB in London(?)

What am I missing here? .... Is this just American greed at work, or something else?

Old 01-20-2014, 03:34 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
London? don't give commissioner Goddell any ideas!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:51 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
This is probably a small thing in the universe, but, what is the point of playing the SB outdoors in the middle of the winter, in an Arctic climate??

OK, somebody probably got paid money to locate this venue (as in sending a Buffalo and a San Diego team to Boise, Idaho to play a bowl game). But, after these NFL teams played entire seasons to get where they are, it makes no sense to potentially sabotage one or both with ridiculous playing conditions. Of course, that probably makes as much sense as the proposed notion of playing a future SB in London(?)

What am I missing here? .... Is this just American greed at work, or something else?
Back in the long ago time before the Super Bowl, the NFL championship game was played at the home of the participating team with the best record. That could be Philly, Green Bay, New York, Los Angeles, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington, Dallas, Detroit, etc. I'm glad the championship game will finally be returning to place where there might a chance of bad weather. It's long overdue in my opinion.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:01 PM

513 posts, read 695,833 times
Football is played in the elements. Why is only one game a year excluded from those elements. I think the best record (or tie breakers if equal record) should have the sb in their stadium

Old 01-20-2014, 04:23 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Why not?

As mentioned above, football is played out in the elements the rest of the schedule.
So why excluded cities just because it is cold?

I would LOVE a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh!

Old 01-20-2014, 04:40 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I agree, why exclude some cities? Some might be excluded because of logistics, not enough support venues in the area (Green Bay for example), but saying it should only be in domes, why? Neither team plays at Met Life so I would say an even field and hardly Arctic. Of course, some people think 30s/40s are cold, whatever.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:15 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
New Jersey is hardly an arctic climate. I'm hoping for some cold weather and snow. I've wanted to see a Super Bowl in the elements for a long time. This is what the game is about. Born in the Midwest and played in the elements. I was very disappointed when Ford Field was constructed as in indoor venue. It's just not right (though I understand it was done to generate more revenue in Detroit with concerts and whatnot).

Old 01-20-2014, 05:24 PM

513 posts, read 695,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
New Jersey is hardly an arctic climate. I'm hoping for some cold weather and snow. I've wanted to see a Super Bowl in the elements for a long time. This is what the game is about. Born in the Midwest and played in the elements. I was very disappointed when Ford Field was constructed as in indoor venue. It's just not right (though I understand it was done to generate more revenue in Detroit with concerts and whatnot).
I would also agree with this, that NJ is not that cold. The average high for early February probably gets close to 40? With the low hoovering around 20ish. Granted it could be much colder, however, it could possibly be much warmer. For arguments sake, lets say it is right around normal. Temps would be in the upper 30's dropping to lower 30s or higher 20s towards the end of the game. That is not ARTIC cold, not even close. I have been to much colder games

Old 01-20-2014, 05:42 PM

113 posts, read 619,571 times
I think the players will be okay in the weather. If the weather is windy that may slow down the passing game some.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:43 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Point is, many people don't realize the east coast isn't brutally cold, we're not talking Maine here. This winter has been exceptional everywhere, highly unusual, but the New York/New Jersey area generally does not have frigid temps. This winter aside, you're right, the average temps aren't bad at all. Average night time lows in the 20s isn't cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football