Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:16 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Getting back to Rex. Guy is a train wreck. Buffalo will regret the signing. If Bills fans are happy, then I'm happy for you.
Good. Because the overwhelming majority of Bills fans are happy with the signing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:04 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Not that they were not perfect. But Brady likely gets them to 14-2 or 13-3 at the very least. I am not going to ever give Belicheck more credit then Brady. Ever. No coach deserves more credit then a HOF QB.
Perhaps, but I wonder if HOF QB Terry Bradshaw would agree with that, about his HOF Head Coach, Chuck Noll, who navigated the Steelers to four Super Bowl wins!

Old 01-15-2015, 11:26 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
They finished 11-5 in 2008 with Matt Cassel after Brady was hurt in week 1. Miami won the division, and it was more a function of strange math that year, since 11-5 teams normally make the playoffs.

How many teams go 11-5 when their franchise QB goes down in week 1? That year completely debunks the BS notion that Belichick can't win without Brady and has only won because of Brady.

They had one of the most talented rosters in the league and the softest schedule in history(08 NFC west/AFC west)

Old 01-15-2015, 01:55 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Did you guys read this article? This is the best quote......ever

Rex Ryan says the Buffalo Bills head coaching job will be his last - ESPN

"This guy right here tells his Realtor, 'Where does the most snow fall in the area? I want to live there,'" Pegula said Wednesday. "I mean, how Buffalo is that?"

"Absolutely. That's a true statement," Ryan said Wednesday. "[Are we going to see you on a snowmobile at some point?] Yeah, I don't know how effective I'm gonna be at that or whatever, but yeah, that's it. I want to be ... this is the community we live in, and we're gonna embrace that. Yeah, wherever that snow dumps the most, that's where I want to live."

Old 01-15-2015, 03:13 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
That is a good one Coupon.

I also like the "defense finished 4th in the league. That's a little disappointing."

Old 01-17-2015, 09:06 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
With this current team he has now no way.

Trade up with Tampa/Tennessee and draft one of the QBs and they got a shot in 2016 or 2017. If the Bills are willing to eat a chunk of Cutler's salary, they could be in discussion this year

The Watkins trade really killed them this year. They could've drafted Bridgewater last year, had him sit out, study the playbooks, and be ready for this upcoming year, and get a wideout in the draft this year. The QB market will be as barren as death valley, CA this year. Outside of the top 2, there's not much in the way of talent. Kaep won't leave SF just yet, Snyder loves RG3, so he's not leaving even though he needs a reset, Mallet/Keenum could definitely become available, but are those 2 QBs that can lead you the playoffs?? I doubt it. Alex Smith in KC is a possibility, but I think Cutler is the only QB that can help the Bills this upcoming year reach the playoffs.
I don't think there is any chance that Smith will be available. As long as he can keep the Chiefs mediocre, Reid can keep his job.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:10 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Perhaps, but I wonder if HOF QB Terry Bradshaw would agree with that, about his HOF Head Coach, Chuck Noll, who navigated the Steelers to four Super Bowl wins!
Don't forget, in those days a lot of the plays were called by the QB.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:15 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Maybe because I'm a Pats fan I have a tainted view, but I have never liked Rex Ryan, even though many experts consider him a good coach. Some say it's fun with his big mouth, but at a professional level he seems almost childish. Sure, players say he's fun or whatever, but so far I don't think his track record makes him look like a great coach. His Jets seemed to be inept at offense since he's a defensive minded guy. Look at Belichick - a defensive minded guy who had the ability to surround himself with the right people to make the offense prosper, but for many years his defense did suffer. Yet, he's had continued success where Rex hasn't.

I think it was a stupid lateral move going to Buffalo from the Jets. I thought Atlanta might have been a better fit, since they already have a decent QB and offensive scheme going. Now Rex is stuck with a team that is similar to the Jets (QB, etc). I think this was an ego move, to stay in the AFC East thinking he can teach the Jets a lesson and prove he can beat a Belichick team consistently.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:25 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Look at Belichick - a defensive minded guy who had the ability to surround himself with the right people to make the offense prosper, but for many years his defense did suffer. Yet, he's had continued success where Rex hasn't.

If you are going to compare Bellicheck, why didn't you bring up the fact that he coached in Cleveland his first go around? How did that stint go? Not as good as when he came over to the Patriots.

Those that are old enough remember quite well he wasn't always a great coach.

Funny, at their same points in their careers, Rex had a better record than Belicheck did starting out...(2 AFC championships to Belichick's 1)

Will Rex go on to match him? Most likley not.

My point is that people can change how they coach in a different atmosphere or after going through a rough patch.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:40 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If you are going to compare Bellicheck, why didn't you bring up the fact that he coached in Cleveland his first go around? How did that stint go? Not as good as when he came over to the Patriots.

Those that are old enough remember quite well he wasn't always a great coach.

Funny, at their same points in their careers, Rex had a better record than Belicheck did starting out...(2 AFC championships to Belichick's 1)

Will Rex go on to match him? Most likley not.

My point is that people can change how they coach in a different atmosphere or after going through a rough patch.
Very true, as I am plenty old enough to remember. Belichick over time has honed his skills to Hall of Fame material. And sadly many coaches are never given the chance to excel because the powers that be have no idea how to build a team for success. Was it fate that Bledsoe went down, and a #199 pick that no one really worried about was a Patriots pick and on the bench as a replacement? I suppose. And who's to say that if Brady and Belichick were never on the same team, how each individually would be today. And Ryan with the Jets hasn't had much to work with, so it's hard to get a really good idea about his true abilities. All I can say at this point in Rex's career is that for the past couple of years as a coach his team has gone downhill which is not a good direction.

I don't know Rex. He just seems sometimes to be a bag of hot air, but one whose players like to play for. And comparing the first few years of anyone's career is unfair, because some people are one and done material, while others continue to grow and prosper. Only time will tell which person Rex is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football