Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I hope you're joking. Ray Rice punched his girlfriend in the face and then proceeded to drag her by her hair. He committed an actual crime - and there is clear and indisputable evidence of it.

No one will care if you don't watch - a week from today when New England raises their 4th banner the ratings will be just fine.
He got a slap on the wrist in the legal system yet got a draconian ban from the NFL. Listen, I am not condoning woman beating but if the league can't have teeth for on-field suspensions, they shouldn't have teeth for off-field suspensions as well. Massie, Washington and Rice, all face off-field suspensions. Two for domestic violence and one for DWI. If Brady can get his way and play, they should too.

As for the ratings, I don't care either way if I am the only one or not, it is a piece of mind thing to me. If others want to join me, fine and if I am the only one, that's fine too.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:12 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I guess I am in the minority but this was a GROSS MISCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE. The court undermined the NFL's right to suspend talent who break rules. Brady lied and his evidence and gets to play because he moaned, whined and *****ed like the cry-baby he is when he cried to daddy about the league being unfair to him.

So now can a Bobby Massie, Daryl Washington or Ray Rice appeal their suspensions because Brady got away with a far worse crime?

I hope someone cuts Brady down to size this season. I normally don't root for injury in sports but I'll gladly do it this year. I plan on NOT watching ANY Pats game this season. I'll let the ratings do the talking and hope that others do the same.
It's a tricky situation.

The fines imposed did not coincide to the purported crime. Fine should have been $25k. Plus, not sure if anything in the CBA allows for penalty for assumed non-cooperation.

The NFL and Goodell played this all wrong IMHO. Goodell was an idiot to let himself arbitrate his own penalty, regardless if the CBA allowed it or not. The alternate balls should have been put in play after the NFL official of balls lost sight of McNally for several minutes, yet with warning signs already up put those missing balls into play. The Colts mishandled the ball they took out of play before the half per NFL rules yet nothing was done. No one looked into possible collusion between the Colts and Ravens. All balls should have been tested, and using the excuse of not enough time is a cop out.

Again, just so many potential holes to what has turned out to be a witch hunt. We may never know the truth, but the NFL let their ego go to their collective heads. Plus, Goodell has 31 other owners barking into his ear and probably had pressure to push, because the league was tired of the Patriots representing the AFC in the Championship 9 of 14 years of Brady's tenure. A "what about us" syndrome.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:17 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
butt chin - butt chin!!!

Old 09-03-2015, 10:33 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
My opinion is that the balls were very probably intentionally deflated, and this warranted the NFL going to the Patriots before the AFC Championship game and telling the Pats to knock it off, or else taking control and possession of the balls from the pre-game on in every game to avoid this situation altogether. At any case, it did not warrant going to DEFCON 1 over a matter (ball tampering) about which the NFL has never previously showed much concern at all.

All of that aside, the NFL is a business. It exists to make money. Perhaps someone could explain how anything the NFL has done in this matter has made a lick of sense from a financial point of view? Could it possibly have been managed more ineptly, in even more of a half-asses fashion? I doubt it.

So why is Roger Goodell still employed by the NFL? Does he have compromising photos of all 32 owners? That's about all that could explain the fact that they continue cutting him huge checks.
"My opinion is that the balls were very probably intentionally deflated, and this warranted the NFL going to the Patriots before the AFC Championship game and telling the Pats to knock it off,"

The problem I have had with this issue is, the "ball boy" GIVES the balls to the referees.

It IS the referees who put the balls into play.

IF the balls we so deflated is should have been apparent to the refs and THEY should have removed those balls from play.

The rules are wacky to start with. Each team cam inflate with a bit of variance.

Kickers get DIFFERENT balls.

EVERY ball should be exactly the same PSI.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:

So now can a Bobby Massie, Daryl Washington or
Ray Rice appeal their suspensions because Brady got away with a far worse crime?

I hope someone cuts Brady down to size this season. I normally don't root for injury in sports but I'll gladly do it this year. I plan on NOT watching ANY Pats game this season. I'll let the ratings do the talking and hope that others do the same.
You really believe that using under inflated footballs is a "worse crime" than the domestic violence of Ray Rice beating his wife unconscious, on tape, in an elevator?

Cheating at sports is worse than domestic violence?

How mature of you, wishing injury on someone, especially over something that has absolutely no personal effect on your life. Great display of sportsmanship mpunk

Old 09-03-2015, 10:57 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
The Patriots were the wonder team of the last decade. They are supposed to be old news, along with Peyton Manning. It's supposed to be about the Colts and the Seahawks now. Tom Brady refused to follow the script so the NFL tried to give him the shaft. I'm glad it didn't work. If anyone is compromising the integrity of the game, it is the league itself, not Brady and not the Patriots. Besides, Brady is 38 years old. Even if he pulls a Brett Favre he's still only got a few years of dominance left, if that. Let time take care of things, not a script or story arc.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:01 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times
NFL will appeal judge's DeflateGate ruling - SBNation.com

NFL is appealing.

Jesus Christ this doesn't go away.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:03 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
I guess I am in the minority but this was a GROSS MISCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE. The court undermined the NFL's right to suspend talent who break rules. Brady lied and his evidence and gets to play because he moaned, whined and *****ed like the cry-baby he is when he cried to daddy about the league being unfair to him.

So now can a Bobby Massie, Daryl Washington or Ray Rice appeal their suspensions because Brady got away with a far worse crime?

Except there was no evidence Brady broke any rules and the league violated their own rules for disciplinary actions.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:04 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Seen in New England

Old 09-03-2015, 11:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
It's a tricky situation.

The fines imposed did not coincide to the purported crime. Fine should have been $25k. Plus, not sure if anything in the CBA allows for penalty for assumed non-cooperation.

There is. Other players, like Favre, got fined for non cooperation. The fine for that is 50k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football