Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 04:01 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,149,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
A team that wins because their opponent misses a FG that they make 99% of the time doesn't deserve credit....
Nobody cares whether the team deserves credit or not. What matters is they were able to get the win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 04:06 PM

806 posts, read 960,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
How about we give the Seahawks credit for holding the Vikings on defense when it got in field goal range, so they had to settle for the field goal?? After the PI and completion inside the 20 they could've given up and just given up the touchdown, but they didn't.

They were playing for the FG and running down the clock. Their kicker was almost automatic inside the 30, making 33 of 34. Even had Seattle laid down and allowed them to score the TD, it would've been wise of them to fall down on the one.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:06 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,319,820 times
I know that loss stung for Vikings fans.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:07 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,025,807 times
Quote:
A team that wins because their opponent misses a FG that they make 99% of the time doesn't deserve credit....

As for the lucky fluke plays... Wilson immediately went to the ground thinking he would be sacked but the Vikings D were late to react so he got up and made the play. I bet you couldn't name another time it happened because it's not something that happens often as you seem to believe.

Defenses go for the strip on EVERY single play... it's up to the ball carrier to PROTECT the ball. AD was carrying the ball away from his body which made it easy to strip him. Plus it was his 3rd fumble in 4 playoff games so he has a history of doing it.

I played football competitively so I know something about it.

It doesn't matter how often Wilson has done that. He deserves a lot of credit for doing it TODAY. In a close game he made a play out of garbage.

And of course defenses go for the strip. Does that mean the Hawks get no credit for making it happen?

Please don't try to impress me or anyone else with your "playing competitively." It won't work. If you enjoy talking football this is a good place. If you just want to be contentious when people don't agree with you please move along. There are plenty of forums out there where your type is welcome.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:09 PM

18,245 posts, read 25,903,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
This is why Wilson is the best QB in the NFL. He makes big plays out of nothing. It's not the first time and it's not going to be the last.
There are only a handful of players who can make the best out of a bad situation. Thinking back to that escape, running to the right was the only direction he could take. And it's been a long time since I've seen a quarterback who has won a super bowl who is only 5'11"!! He's not the prototype scouts want but he has as good a mobility as anyone in the league.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:21 PM

18,245 posts, read 25,903,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
what's sad is I'm not in the least bit surprised he missed it
The Vikings without a doubt have had more than their share of misfortune, think back to the 1998 NFC Championship game for instance with Gary Anderson missing that short field goal against Atlanta.

The Vikings went 15-1 in the regular season. They had a hell of a club that year!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-10-2016 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 07:15 PM

455 posts, read 599,312 times
Quote:
I played football competitively so I know something about it.

What's non-competitive football then? That sounds like a everykidhasatrophyanddon'tkeepscorehipster league

Congrats Uncle Rico, some of us did play after high school also

Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 PM

18,062 posts, read 27,513,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The Seahawks did not win the game. The Vikings lost the game!!

No, and no.

The Seahawks won, figuratively, and statistically, and according to Jimmy Johnson, "The better team won."

The Vikings did lose, but the kicker lost the game.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:59 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,331,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
No, and no.

The Seahawks won, figuratively, and statistically, and according to Jimmy Johnson, "The better team won."

The Vikings did lose, but the kicker lost the game.
The kicker didn't lose the game, the team lost the game. Yes, Walsh missed the game winning FG, but that doesn't mean the loss is on him alone. The score was 10-9. How did the Vikings manage 9 points? Because Walsh made 3 fgs to keep the game close enough to win. Why not throw any blame on Peterson? He had a fumble at an extremely crucial part of the game, wasn't securing the ball at all, and has a bad tendency to fumble.

Win as a team, lose as a team

Old 01-11-2016, 06:35 AM

14,333 posts, read 14,646,579 times
My thought is you never put it on one player, bad things happen when you go down that road. A bigger issue is definitely their limited offense, dependence on AP and not achieving balance. Defense needed to get after Wilson, not let him make a big play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football