Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:59 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times

Advertisements

If you're a Chiefs fan, last night's game had to have been incredibly satisfying. Imagine this: a disappointing playoff loss followed by an entire offseason listening to sports media bloviate about how insanely good the Patriots would be, and how the Chiefs had no chance at all in the TNF season kickoff game. To go in there, get down early then turn that game around into a decisive win...that had to have felt good. The Chiefs have been solid lately, but even since Reid's arrival they've lacked that signature win until last night. For the generation of Chiefs fans recently coming of age, this has got to be one of the single most satisfying regular season wins ever.

It got me to musing about satisfying regular season wins for the Broncos, and I thought it would be worth a topic for the class. The emphasis is on regular season wins. Playoff wins are too easy, especially Super Bowl wins, and of course that can all be discussed on another thread if we feel so inclined. What regular season win stands out to you as most satisfying? (You don't necessarily have to limit it to one.)

For me it's easy: 17 September, 2015; Broncos 31, Chiefs 24. It was week 2 of the 2015 season and the Broncos met the Chiefs on Thursday Night Football. The Chiefs had every advantage going into this game. It was their home opener. It was Thursday Night, a game that HEAVILY favors the home team. The Chiefs had gone into Houston and won in week 1 on the road, giving the home crowd added expectations. Going into the game, the Broncos had enjoyed 6 straight wins over the Chiefs. Eric Berry was returning to the game, one of the best emotional stories of the season. The Broncos were making their first road trip, and in a new system. In fact, several analysts had dismissed the Broncos chances going into 2015. Predictions for who would win the division were split 50-50, with many predicting the Broncos to miss the playoffs outright. There were several other little factors that went into why this game was sure to be a Chiefs blowout win.

I recall media analysts talking about the Chiefs secondary would be challenged because the Broncos would be "playing from behind" and therefore passing a lot. To top it off, fans on SB Nation's "Arrowhead Pride," raised classlessness to an art form. They were hoping for a blowout win, which was understandable given the way the Broncos had traumatized them by waltzing all over the Chiefs since Manning's arrival. But the prevailing mindset among commenters to that blog was they were hoping to see a Chiefs defender end Manning's career that night. It's one thing to want to win, but hoping to see a player injured is bottom shelf. I'd have dismissed a comment here or there, but this narrative was pretty definitive for any subject on the game as it approached.

The Chiefs appeared to be on their way to a route, getting a 14-0 lead midway through the 2nd quarter, only to see the Broncos come roaring back to tie the game before the half. The teams traded FGs in the 3rd quarter and the game entered the 4th tied at 17. The Chiefs took a 24-17 lead with 2:21 remaining and Manning took over and engineered one of the better drives for the Broncos offense from the 2015 season. It was almost 2013-like in its execution: the Broncos moved down the field like there wasn't even a Chiefs defensive unit there, tying the game with 36 seconds remaining.

As if that wasn't good enough the Broncos forced a Jamaal Charles fumbled and Bradley Roby took it to the house on a "scoop and score." The stunned crowd left the stadium on the wrong end of a 31-24 tilt.

The Broncos forced 5 turnovers, (2 INT, 3 FF) and surrendered 1, a Manning INT. The game would put the Chiefs in a tailspin that lasted 4 more losses before they recovered and went on a 10-game tear into the playoffs and won their only playoff game in a period spanning now 24 seasons. The Broncos, meanwhile, would go on to a 12-4 finish. With the Chiefs finishing 11-5, this game proved pivotal in the big picture that season: the Chiefs would later avenge the loss in a 29-13 win in Denver. This win made the difference between 11-5 and the #5 seed and 12-4 and the #1 seed in the AFC playoffs that year. That HFA proved a significant piece of the Broncos Super Bowl run that year.

But even in the early hours of September 18th, even before I knew this was the start of a season that would finish with the Broncos third Super Bowl win, this game felt exceptionally satisfying. Between all the factors giving the Chiefs every advantage, the Chiefs fans knowing it and not only smelling blood but literally calling for it...this one is still one of my favorites.

Since then the Chiefs have enjoyed a 3 game run against the Broncos, but that's okay for now. None of their subsequent wins will take this one away, nor will they undo the Broncos win in SB50. There are some regular season wins that jump out as more satisfying than others, and among those wins, Broncos 31, Chiefs 24 on 17 September 2015 stands out the most.

Share yours!

Last edited by iknowftbll; 09-08-2017 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:33 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Sorry, there's been too many.

Been too many most disappointing losses too.

I did enjoy the Cowboys win over Pittsburgh last year and the way they did it a little bit extra I think!

Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Sorry, there's been too many.

Been too many most disappointing losses too.

I did enjoy the Cowboys win over Pittsburgh last year and the way they did it a little bit extra I think!
Haha, that's sports, right? It's also probably a pretty worthwhile topic in its own right.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:43 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,895 times
I'll say Ravens over Steelers, week 1, 2011. It helps that I was at the game. They dominated Pittsburgh so thoroughly in that game. Flacco 3 TDs, no INTs, they picked off Big Ben 3 times, sacked him 4 times, recovered 4 fumbles, and even successfully converted a 2 point conversion (even though they were up 20 points...). Baltimore won the turnover battle 7-0.

Maybe a close 2nd was winning the game in Pittsburgh that same year. Mostly because it was the moment that Flacco proved he could be the guy to go into a hostile stadium, march down the field with 1 minute left, and steal a win. Admittedly, they did come back from down 24-6 at halftime to Arizona the previous week (won 30-27), but they were at home, and Arizona was pretty crappy at the time.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:12 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
I guess obviously it would be either of the two wins against the Patriots over the last 17 years in which Brady played the entire game.

2003: 31-0 beat down in the season opener
2011: 34-31 win after being down 21-0 early. The win put the Bills to 3-0 and helped Fitzpatrick earn his big contract extension. The Bills scored 41, 38 and 34 points to start that season.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:16 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Last year Packers beat the Seahawks 38-10, pretty sweet although everyone said, Thomas was out, Wilson and Sherman were fighting injuries, blah, blah, blah! I hope the Packers win Sunday when everyone is healthy!

Old 09-09-2017, 02:54 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,323 times
1994 week 7 Montana vs. Elway in Denver The Chiefs version of Montana magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ljKiQ8XczI

Old 09-09-2017, 03:24 PM

141 posts, read 123,394 times
A few. Probably the one that stands out the most is Super Bowl XXXIV. That Mike Jones tackle at the end of the game was a thing of beauty.

Oops not regular season. I may chime in later for a regular season one.

Last edited by GoJohnnyGo; 09-09-2017 at 03:40 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 04:25 PM

141 posts, read 123,394 times
November 12, 1978 - Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

Many were calling this game a Super Bowl preview when the 9-1 Pittsburgh Steelers were in town to face the 8-2 Rams. It was well documented how dominant the Steelers were in those days led by the Steel Curtain and with two recent Super Bowls under their belt at that point. With the likes of Mean Joe Greene, Ernie Holmes, LC Greenwood, Dwight White, the Steel Curtain made many offenses in for a miserable sunday afternoon. As for the Rams it was no exception, as they were only able to put up 10 points that day. But it was enough, as the Rams defense wasn't too shabby that year, and held the Steelers offense to only 7 points, a Terry Bradshaw to Lynn Swann strike. The Rams scoring consisted of TD pass from Pat Haden to Willie Miller. Frank Corral added a field goal, for a final score of 10-7.

After that loss the Steelers never lost again and captured their 3rd Super Bowl defeating the Dallas Cowboys.

Bittersweet that season, yet that game was very satisfying.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:15 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
1994 week 7 Montana vs. Elway in Denver The Chiefs version of Montana magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ljKiQ8XczI
In addition to the great Montana orchestrated magic, I love the Denver uniform (why Denver & New England dropped their classic looks I will never comprehend) and those sexy KC Starter jackets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football