Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 08:57 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times

Advertisements

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk...4MfnPs1hdxMEK/

The rain-delayed opening NFL game featuring the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles saw eight percent fewer viewers than the kickoff game a year ago, continuing a recent worrisome trend for the beleaguered league.

For me I don't even watch NFL anymore. I'm just so sick of everything being used as a platform to promote political beliefs. It doesn't matter if i agree or not, i just don't care. I'm guessing that a lot of people are getting to that point.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:04 AM

326 posts, read 199,556 times
I'm getting there. Glad we didn't see any of it last night. I only watched cuz I'm an Atlanta fan otherwise I wouldn't have tuned in. They won't be getting a ratings boost from me anyway... I'm in the wrong part of the US to tune into Atlanta games each Sunday.

It's not just the political drama though... the officiating has also gotten old. Has the NFL defined a catch yet? Didn't look like it with the Julio play last night. I'm not just talking about calls for my team either... the officials blew the obvious PI call that would have went against the Falcons too.

IMO the college game is just better.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 AM

939 posts, read 505,962 times
I did not see the game. I'll say that up front. But from all sources I trust and from the bits and pieces I heard on the radio, the first half was a total eyesore. Not a good look to kick off your season on NBC prime time with a nationwide audience. All these litanies of theories as to the sharp decrease in ratings the last few years, I think #1 has just been simply a so-so product when it comes to entertainment value. If it was basketball, then everyone would abandon ship. When it comes to the NCAAs specifically, they are too tone deaf and won't even attempt to remedy the situation. I don't think the NFL can do much however given the litigation and concerns surrounding player safety and they should feel fortunate it is a unique sport in that its once a week for a short duration out of the calendar year. Pick em' and survivor pool contests, fantasy, gambling are what keeps this sport head and shoulders above others when it comes to interest and ratings. Otherwise, ratings would be far worse.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:57 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

The rain-delayed opening NFL game featuring the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles saw eight percent fewer viewers than the kickoff game a year ago, continuing a recent worrisome trend for the beleaguered league.

For me I don't even watch NFL anymore. I'm just so sick of everything being used as a platform to promote political beliefs. It doesn't matter if i agree or not, i just don't care. I'm guessing that a lot of people are getting to that point.
And you care so little that you came to the internet to post about it.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:46 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Read it again.

I care about the game, not the platform.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:05 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
There are lot of people not watching that still care about the game. I really enjoy football, but hate what has happened to it over the past few years. The politicizing of the game is big for me, but also the play on the field is just not as exciting. Too much interference by the NFL and refs.

As ratings decline, maybe the NFL will wake up and make some much needed changes to make the game fun and exciting for old and new fans again.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:48 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

I have differing views on the politics aspect, I’ll leave it at that. I didn’t tune in last night because I knew that the game wouldn’t be one I’m interested in. I hate Thursday Night Football to begin with. Yes I think the quality of the game has declined which is why the people are losing interest.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:54 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
If ratings are an issue for the NFL, then they certainly may have to address it.

There are social justice activists which have chosen their NFL employer's media and venues for their stage. They want to be seen and heard, and some networks are attempting to deal with it by not showing their activism (kneeling, sitting, etc). This social justice war and social engineering has become a thing for certain other groups (including networks and media) which believe they need to be a part of this activism, so indeed they become that which is affecting viewers both at home and at the venues.

I'm not sure what the answer is to all of this. Thanks to my football addiction, I myself can't stop watching the game which I greatly enjoy. I guess that makes me part of the problem as I continue to enable the ratings to be just lukewarm enough so that nothing is currently being done?

Who knows what happens if the ratings cool off even more? Maybe the NFL will actually begin suspending or firing employees which prefer to be activists and refuse to bow to employer mandates?

Even when activists believe they have a point, they may eventually be forced to take their activism elsewhere where it no longer inflicts damage to their employer -- or to themselves.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Too many penalties and poor execution by both teams made for a very boring contest. The late start killed an otherwise exciting finish. Too tired to care at that point.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-08-2018 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: Sentence deleted (politics)

Old 09-07-2018, 03:20 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Too many penalties and poor execution by both teams made for a very boring contest. The late start killed an otherwise exciting finish. Too tired to care at that point.

This is the story of 90% of the Thursday night games. Most are unwatchable.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-08-2018 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: one sentence deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football