Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 09:08 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I still believe that the Steelers hold that distinction. Without Brady what have the Patriots done? Do you think they will have a competitive team after he retires? The Steelers have always been considered a team to beat to get into the post season. They get into the post season themselves on a regular basis. Granted, the Pats Teams with Brady at the helm have run the tables. Now, consider the Colts after Payton Manning.
If we can remove players when evaluating teams, would the Steelers have won 4 in 6 years without Terry Bradshaw? Rothlisberger was a game manger for his first SB win. As a Pats fan, I haven't considered the Steelers to be the "team to beat to get into the post season". For a long time, that was the Colts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 09:11 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Revenue sharing. Salary cap. Free agency.

Understand these before overhyping old teams.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:12 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
If we can remove players when evaluating teams, would the Steelers have won 4 in 6 years without Terry Bradshaw? Rothlisberger was a game manger for his first SB win. As a Pats fan, I haven't considered the Steelers to be the "team to beat to get into the post season". For a long time, that was the Colts.
Yes indeed.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:24 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Where? And if that is true, why don't we see him in the HOF for his play?

I just have a hard time seeing Belicheck being GOAT over the likes of Lombardi, Landry or Schula.

They all seemed to do it with more than one great QB.
I get your point but is it fair to penalize Belicheck simply because he hasn't had to win with another QB? Given the opportunity, I wouldn't count the Patriots out with a couple super bowl appearances in the coming decade had they moved on from Brady last year and went forward with Jimmy G.

And the success Belicheck and Brady have had is unprecedented. In an error of 32 teams and free agency. I don't think either comes close to 6 rings and 9 appearances if they are not working together.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:26 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Yep. And it's only been Denver who has had Bill and Brady's number over the years. Patriots have beaten the Steelers with regularity.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:35 AM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
You can’t be serious. He threw as many as the GOAT QB yesterday.
Let me tell you something about Tom Brady yesterday. He helped Edleman win the MVP by getting him the ball.

Tom Brady is credited with throwing an interception early on, when momentum is huge on that stage. Go back and look at that play and tell me he "threw" anything like an interception. His receiver decided to play hot potato with the football. You don't see that in the stat sheets.

Oh, but Brady fumbled the ball, right? Credit Suh and Donald for being among the current best that Brady had to go up against.

I do not blame Brady nor Geoff for missed field goals. There were plenty of those in this game and this is where I would place blame on an anemic scoreboard.

I have yet to see the Patriots blow any team away in any of their last 8 Super Bowls. That's just a credit to their coaching style. As has been pointed out, even the games they lost, they were right there and it could have gone either way.

I don't think Brady nor any other Patriot gives a flip how they win a Super Bowl. They could have won by running back the opening kickoff and not scored another point for the rest of the game.

To the Rams, this season, they have played a seemingly boring but very controlled style all season long. Their style showed up in this Super Bowl. Credit Bum Phillip's son and the efforts of CJ Anderson in part for that niche.

Giving credit where it's due, the secondaries of both teams broke up a lot of damned good passes, it's that simple.

Oh, another point about the anemic scoreboard, why is nobody blaming Gurley?

When did Gurley's running game go missing? Is his leg injured? Why does CJ Anderson have to take more snaps than the Rams once primary weapon? I'm not really a big follower of the Rams these days, so maybe somebody can fill us in here. The only thing I heard the announcers reference wrt this was that CJ Anderson was a good mentor to him, as in he may have some mental or attitudinal issues?

Where's that storyline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Won't be surprised if it's quietly announced within the next few weeks that Todd Gurley is undergoing a medical procedure.
There ya go. Was he / is be injured?

What kind of procedure? To his knee, leg, foot, hip, maybe a checkup from the neckup? What are we talking about here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
That was one of the best games I have watched in recent years. So many teams in both college and NFL, focus on offense and can't play a lick of defense. It was like watching two SEC teams from 10 or 15 years ago play. Once again, it has been proven, defense wins championships.
Refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Few wks. ago they were talking about a "minor" knee issue.
Gotcha.

Minor knee issue, major throat issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCLWR View Post
They unfortunate thing, for the rest of the league, is that Tom Terrific still has 4 fingers left that need rings to put on them.
Welcome to the forum newbie/retread.

You bring up a good point here, one about butthurt. Y'all criers that hate on Brady and BB and the Patriots with your continued talk of spygate and inflategate and cheatos and Cheatriots, back in the day, it was fun. When Peyton Manning's brother had his way? Remember? Sort of?

Not really. Build a damned bridge. I'd like to talk to y'all about deep-seated and premeditated resentment. It's not a pretty thing, and it's bad to your health. It's good for Tom Brady's health however, and it gives him extra pleasure when he sticks it to y'all with his growing hardware.

Just some food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCLWR View Post
They unfortunate thing, for the rest of the league, is that Tom Terrific still has 4 fingers left that need rings to put on them.
Tell me you don't have a Tom Brady Fathead on your ceiling though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMoney12345 View Post
Really? Belichick was the last Browns coach to take the Browns to the playoffs! He is one of the greatest of all time coaches
Two points about the Browns here... Let's list their highlights over the last 53 years, The Drive, The Fumble, the midnight escape, snore.

Second point, go ask Browns fan his thoughts on letting BB slip through their hands.

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-04-2019 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-04-2019, 09:38 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Won't be surprised if it's quietly announced within the next few weeks that Todd Gurley is undergoing a medical procedure.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:46 AM

117 posts, read 99,163 times
I don't understand why people think it was a boring game. It played out as two awesome defenses, holding two powerful offenses in check. Many great defensive plays. What separates the Patriots from other teams and the reason for their success is that they study their opponents better. They do not play the game for each individual play. They play each play to learn more and more about their opponent, so when it come crunch time they can use plays they are confident will work and win the game. They are willing to use go nowhere plays in order to expose their opponents strengths and weaknesses. They play chess, while their opponents play checkers. The only time they lose is when the players do not execute properly.

You don't go to the Super Bowl 50% of the time this century and win 2/3 of them by luck or anything else upset people claim.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:50 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
The good news is that the Rams won't have to worry now about going to the White House or not.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
That was one of the best games I have watched in recent years. So many teams in both college and NFL, focus on offense and can't play a lick of defense. It was like watching two SEC teams from 10 or 15 years ago play. Once again, it has been proven, defense wins championships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football