Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Super Bowl LIII the worse Super Bowl you’ve ever watched?
Yes 48 50.00%
No 48 50.00%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:12 PM

5,127 posts, read 2,606,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It was mostly Goff putting up the worst performance in Super Bowl history.

Ben Roethlisberger's 22.6 passer rating in Super Bowl XL
and
Billy Kilmer's 19.6 passer rating in Super Bowl VII

would like a word with you, Goffs rating was way higher than these.

What really sucked about this SB was that Brady(0TD/1INT) happened to be on the winning team again- the Pats won the game despite him, not because of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 03:27 PM

32,181 posts, read 34,858,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Ben Roethlisberger's 22.6 passer rating in Super Bowl XL
and
Billy Kilmer's 19.6 passer rating in Super Bowl VII

would like a word with you, Goffs rating was way higher than these.

What really sucked about this SB was that Brady(0TD/1INT) happened to be on the winning team again- the Pats won the game despite him, not because of him.
Not even Big Ben was as putrid as Goff because he at least accounted for 1 offensive TD in the game.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:49 PM

14,336 posts, read 14,663,607 times
I watched and voted no it wasn't the worst. Maybe age comes into it, but I don't mind seeing a game where the "D" is the important part. I like offense but the Seahawks and Broncos SB was the worst. Who wants to see a blowout in the Super Bowl, not me.

I don't know how many years some have watched the SB but I almost always watch the whole thing unless it is totally a lopsided score. I know it can't happen but sometimes I would really like to know the age of people answering the poll.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I watched and voted no it wasn't the worst. Maybe age comes into it, but I don't mind seeing a game where the "D" is the important part. I like offense but the Seahawks and Broncos SB was the worst. Who wants to see a blowout in the Super Bowl, not me.

I don't know how many years some have watched the SB but I almost always watch the whole thing unless it is totally a lopsided score. I know it can't happen but sometimes I would really like to know the age of people answering the poll.
Seems like that Super Bowl would have been one of your all-time favorites. The Legion of Boom ("LOB!") destroyed an all-time great QB who was coming off a 55 TD/MVP regular season.

A low-scoring affair isn't necessarily indicative of high quality defense. It certainly wasn't last night.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:06 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,682,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Seems like that Super Bowl would have been one of your all-time favorites. The Legion of Boom ("LOB!") destroyed an all-time great QB who was coming off a 55 TD/MVP regular season.

A low-scoring affair isn't necessarily indicative of high quality defense. It certainly wasn't last night.
Especially since neither team was a defensive juggernaut. They were both, supposedly, offensive juggernauts. I think the Patriots had the 4th best offense and the Rams were number 2! That’s the great thing about sports... you just never know for sure.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:07 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,143,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I'd take this Super Bowl over Super Bowl 48 where Seattle blew the doors off Denver.

You mean when denver CHOKED and gave the game to the Seahawks? That Lombardi trophy should have come with a big red bow on it.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:11 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,682,477 times
Honestly, what was the big highlight of yesterday’s game? Gronks 25 yard catch?... oooh

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-04-2019 at 04:27 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Especially since neither team was a defensive juggernaut. They were both, supposedly, offensive juggernauts. I think the Patriots had the 4th best offense and the Rams were number 2! That’s the great thing about sports... you just never know for sure.
Yeah, that's a good point.

We'll never really know exactly how bad of an offensive performance this was until we start seeing some film studies come out over the next week or so.

I actually thought the defensive gameplan we saw on display from Clemson last month was better than what either team did last night. There they actually pumped the brakes on an Alabama offense that moved the ball pretty well.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Here's a detailed schematic breakdown of Goff's misses last night.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/sup...ared-goff-rams

"Excellent defense." Okay. LOL.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 02-04-2019 at 04:46 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 04:42 PM

More analysis.

Quote:
McVay’s play designs provided Goff with answers all night long; the 24-year-old just didn’t know the questions.

It wasn’t just the things Goff missed after the snap, either. He wasn’t any better at diagnosing the blitzes the Patriots were sending at him. Before a sack in the third quarter, you can see WR Robert Woods pointing out a possible blitz before the snap. The quarterback didn’t see it and ended up on the turf seconds later.

Lmao, Robert Woods was calling out who had to come for him to be hot, because Goff is incapable of making pre-snap calls on his own pic.twitter.com/THYrcjymy1

— Steven Ruiz (@theStevenRuiz) February 4, 2019

Another undiagnosed blitz resulted in Goff’s lone interception, which pretty much sealed the Rams’ fate.

A potentially championship clinching INT by Stephon Gilmore! #EverythingWeGot pic.twitter.com/5weJohZ4QK

— LastWordOnNFL (@LastWordOnNFL) February 4, 2019

Goff really has no excuse for not seeing this coming. The Patriots have two defensive backs lined up over one potential receiver — in this case, the running back — which is a telltale sign a blitz is coming. And New England ran this blitz in its last game!

Patriots Falcon Baker Trailer pic.twitter.com/L4vK6e1TYV

— James Light (@JamesALight) January 30, 2019

If Goff studied the film of the AFC Championship game, he should have seen this coming.
This is good to point out because most casual observers will blame the offensive line for sacks 97.8% of the time. But the QB plays an important role in recognizing whether it's a blitz, where the blitz is coming from, how many are coming on the blitz, etc., and then adjusting his protection accordingly. Typically, you'll throw the ball to wherever the blitz is coming from on a hot route. Mahomes had zero problems doing this a couple of weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football