Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2024, 08:13 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

And what's interesting is that now Fed-Ex has backed out of their contract, two years early on the naming rights of the stadium. So it is no longer "Fed-Ex Field". Good riddance is what I say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 12:21 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
And what's interesting is that now Fed-Ex has backed out of their contract, two years early on the naming rights of the stadium. So it is no longer "Fed-Ex Field". Good riddance is what I say!

They didn't.. It's a legit opt-out point in the contract. In the event of ownership change, they had until the start of the next league season to opt out of the contract. So.. "backed out" makes it sound like what happened with FTX or Enron or something.

I'm sure it was a financial decision, along with the fact they really didn't want their name associated with the crappiest stadium in the league.. But.. For clarity..

They went to Commanders Field.. I would.. Honestly, I'd have gone back to the Cookie Monster. Jack Kent Cooke Stadium.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:15 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They didn't.. It's a legit opt-out point in the contract. In the event of ownership change, they had until the start of the next league season to opt out of the contract. So.. "backed out" makes it sound like what happened with FTX or Enron or something.

I'm sure it was a financial decision, along with the fact they really didn't want their name associated with the crappiest stadium in the league.. Honestly, I'd have gone back to the Cookie Monster. Jack Kent Cooke Stadium.
Good post. I think your take is correct.. but CBS was reporting that the Commanders were "blindsided" by FedEx's decision. Probably a misleading headline, but who knows. Some of the articles I read, were suggesting this is good news for the franchise, because they expect bigger $ from a new stadium sponsor.

To skinsguy's earlier post tho.. there is an irony here. FedEx was one of the sanctimonious entities who endorsed the Redskins, but then rapidly became one of the most heavy-handed forces in financially pressuring a name change. They got the name change, but are now essentially dipping..

Old 02-29-2024, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Good post. I think your take is correct.. but CBS was reporting that the Commanders were "blindsided" by FedEx's decision. Probably a misleading headline, but who knows. Some of the articles I read, were suggesting this is good news for the franchise, because they expect bigger $ from a new stadium sponsor.

To skinsguy's earlier post tho.. there is an irony here. FedEx was one of the sanctimonious entities who endorsed the Redskins, but then rapidly became one of the most heavy-handed forces in financially pressuring a name change. They got the name change, but are now essentially dipping..

Door.. Ass.. way out. That's the way I look at it.

If the new ownership was blindsided.. I'd dare to say that they need new lawyers and people to look over the existing contracts. I highly doubt that FedEx gave them a vote of confidence. The opt out was right there in black and white

And.. From what I understand.. It's JUST the stadium naming rights. I suspect they'll still be sponsoring "The FedEx third quarter 2nd and 20 toilet break" or something.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Door.. Ass.. way out. That's the way I look at it.

If the new ownership was blindsided.. I'd dare to say that they need new lawyers and people to look over the existing contracts. I highly doubt that FedEx gave them a vote of confidence. The opt out was right there in black and white

And.. From what I understand.. It's JUST the stadium naming rights. I suspect they'll still be sponsoring "The FedEx third quarter 2nd and 20 toilet break" or something.
The franchise gets several million dollars a year from a name sponsor, and yes, they were technically blindsided. I understand the legal rights that FedEx had to end the contract, but it was likely without warning. You got to think, Fred Smith was a minority owner of the team (head of FedEx) who tried to get Snyder out so that he could take over ownership. And it was his company that led the way with threatening to pull sponsorship unless Washington changed their name. Of course, Snyder clapped back and bought out the minority owner shares before having to sell to Harris.

I would say this was spite move by FedEx, but at the same time, allow Harris's group to start fresh with a new sponsor who appreciates better ownership. Right now, it will be called Commander Field. I was kind of hoping they'd go back to the original name of the stadium, which was Jack Kent Cooke Stadium. At the end of the day, they'll get a new sponsor name - probably before the season starts. Maybe it will be called the Summer Breeze Bowl or something lol!

Old 03-13-2024, 07:43 AM

Adam Peters has signed up to this time, 12 new free agents. A solid group of guys who can come in, start right away or be in a heavy rotation, and contribute to the team. Peters and Quinn saw Rivera's roster and said, "NO WAY" to what RR had built. All that is left is to find a solid left tackle, maybe a corner. A lot of one year deals, but this is by design so that the Commanders can truly draft the best player available in free agency and build the team the right way. It's going to take a couple of seasons, but Washington is going to be competitive very quickly.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Adam Peters has signed up to this time, 12 new free agents. A solid group of guys who can come in, start right away or be in a heavy rotation, and contribute to the team. Peters and Quinn saw Rivera's roster and said, "NO WAY" to what RR had built. All that is left is to find a solid left tackle, maybe a corner. A lot of one year deals, but this is by design so that the Commanders can truly draft the best player available in free agency and build the team the right way. It's going to take a couple of seasons, but Washington is going to be competitive very quickly.

Some good signings, some.. Not so much.

I like the Clelin Ferrell signing. I think in the right system, he could thrive. It's a risk, no question. He's come no where near fulfilling his potential in the NFL.

Others.. Like Mariotta. Why not resign Brissett? I'm sure it goes back to who coaches have had in their system in the past, but.. I'd MUCH rather have a young QB learning from Brissett than Mariotta.

I don't see the point in releasing Logan Thomas for Zach Ertz.. They're basically the same age.. And have about the same endurance, meaning, both as highly injury prone. technically, I suppose Ertz was cheaper. They got him for $5M while Thomas' contract was about $8M/yr.

Letting Gibson go for Ekeler.. Disagree here. About $5.5M/year for Ekeler while New England got Gibson for about $2M/year.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Some good signings, some.. Not so much.

I like the Clelin Ferrell signing. I think in the right system, he could thrive. It's a risk, no question. He's come no where near fulfilling his potential in the NFL.

Others.. Like Mariotta. Why not resign Brissett? I'm sure it goes back to who coaches have had in their system in the past, but.. I'd MUCH rather have a young QB learning from Brissett than Mariotta.

I don't see the point in releasing Logan Thomas for Zach Ertz.. They're basically the same age.. And have about the same endurance, meaning, both as highly injury prone. technically, I suppose Ertz was cheaper. They got him for $5M while Thomas' contract was about $8M/yr.

Letting Gibson go for Ekeler.. Disagree here. About $5.5M/year for Ekeler while New England got Gibson for about $2M/year.

Brissett is one year older than Marcus Mariotta.

Zack Ertz has played in Kliff Kingsbury's system, so he's a better, natural fit than Logan Thomas, and it's just a one-year deal. The Commanders will be drafting a TE.

I could have taken or left Gibson. He's a good player with fumbling issues. Austin Ekler has played for Anthony Lynn before - that's the connection. Just a two-year deal. You still have Brian Robinson and Chris Rodriguez.

The majority of the signings are players around the average age of 27, outside of Ertz, Mariota, and Wagner. All guys are either playing in a trajectory pointing upward or still playing at a very high level (Wagner.) Ertz and Mariota are interesting signings but point to the fact that the Commanders will be drafting those positions.

These are guys who are coming in and establishing a culture until Adam Peters can replace them all through the draft.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:12 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:
Brissett is one year older than Marcus Mariotta.

Zack Ertz has played in Kliff Kingsbury's system, so he's a better, natural fit than Logan Thomas, and it's just a one-year deal. The Commanders will be drafting a TE.

I could have taken or left Gibson. He's a good player with fumbling issues. Austin Ekler has played for Anthony Lynn before - that's the connection. Just a two-year deal. You still have Brian Robinson and Chris Rodriguez.

The majority of the signings are players around the average age of 27, outside of Ertz, Mariota, and Wagner. All guys are either playing in a trajectory pointing upward or still playing at a very high level (Wagner.) Ertz and Mariota are interesting signings but point to the fact that the Commanders will be drafting those positions.

These are guys who are coming in and establishing a culture until Adam Peters can replace them all through the draft.
The number of former Cowboys who played for Dan Quinn/ followed Dan Quinn/ do not want to play for Mike Zimmer.......I think Quinn has the potential to move the Redskins up quickly
It seems that he really did take a lot of the Cowboys with him, starters and solid rotational players who can be available week one.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
The number of former Cowboys who played for Dan Quinn/ followed Dan Quinn/ do not want to play for Mike Zimmer.......I think Quinn has the potential to move the Redskins up quickly
It seems that he really did take a lot of the Cowboys with him, starters and solid rotational players who can be available week one.

The sheer amount of turnover is a concern. While I won't disagree that there were some players who were somewhat ingrained in the losing culture and likely just needed to go.. Others.. Kam Curl is another one that i'm disappointed to see leave. Now, admittedly.. He played far better as a rookie than past that, but, I still think the potential was there to be great.

But.. The turnover.. Usually, the turnover is a matter of the new guys getting acclimated to the culture. There *IS* no culture. So you run the risk of multiple different cultures fighting for dominance. Is Quinn a strong enough coach to enforce HIS culture on the team?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football