Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 08:24 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
But as I listen to certain pundits & fans, they're still describing Cousins modestly as 'consistent' and/or 'improving'. Which are both fair, respectable characterizations.. but still get the sense there are RG3 partisans (and other assorted haters & face-painted cretins) rooting against Cousins, downplaying how good he's playing, how improved Washington is w/Cousins under center. I remember a column by Noah Frank that described Cousins as 'not a good quarterback this season', and with the season only a few months old, Frank was suggesting that Cousins was receiving an undeservedly long leash to develop.. c'mon.
I have family friends who are Redskins fans and they say this all the time:

"Watch us trade RG3 to Philly and then see him lead his team to the Super Bowl."

QB fundamentals aside, do we have any reason to believe that RG3 could play an entire season without getting injured?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 08:26 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
This ^^^^

I commend you for admitting being wrong on Cousins.

Many were , but unlike you don't have the balls to admit it on this forum....
I'm not sure who you're talking about, but honestly, there wasn't much there to suggest that Cousins would be more than a solid backup. At least, not until the Tampa Bay game. Honestly, that game is when Kirk Cousins was born. That is the day he started taking big steps forward, and hasn't really looked back since. Nobody, prior to that game, thought Cousins had solidified that starting position - unless you talk to Kirk Cousins himself, and maybe Mike Shanahan - who drafted him. Other than that, the most leveled headed an honest approach was to give Cousins a "let me see how it plays out" approach and nothing more. I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of intestinal fortitude. Nobody really saw Cousins evolving this quickly - I don't even think Jay Gruden himself saw it coming. I didn't expect it, although I was a little more optimistic than Dave. But Dave will tell you, I'm one of the most optimistic fans he's sort of met. Honestly, I'm just willing to support whoever it is that can play quarterback and lead this team deep into the playoffs, and maybe someday, a Super Bowl title. I am still a fan of RGIII and I still think Griffin has a lot of good play left in him. But, Cousins has proven to have far passed RGIII in just about every facet of the game. And how can you not like the kid? Comes from a great family, is deeply rooted in his faith, and overall, clean cut, humble guy. But I think he also has it in him to be a leader, and I think you'll see that down the road.

All that said, Cousins clearly has a future with the Redskins. How long that future is still a mystery though. I think until Cousins and the Redskins put up consecutive 10 win seasons, it's hard to crown anybody a franchise player.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:02 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
This ^^^^

I commend you for admitting being wrong on Cousins.

Many were , but unlike you don't have the balls to admit it on this forum....

Thanks. Trust me I would much rather find a QB than be right on a message board. As for Griff in Philly I have to admit I am one of those with concerns. Anyone with that much talent has to scare you in another uniform. But the concern is lessening by the minute as I see just what a real QB looks like in the same offense with similar weapons.

But I tell you what, had Cousins gotten the same protection we saw last year from Tyler Polumbus and his band we would see a totally different QB. The improved OL has been huge for his development.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Default 2015 Regular Season: Week 15 - Redskins 35, Bills 25

The Redskins won a pivotal game enhanced the Giants and Eagles' losses. If they can defeat the Eagles and the Giants lose to the Vikings in week 16, the NFC East should be sealed.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:05 PM

All we have to do is win and we get the East regardless of the Giants game. However if we lose we will be rooting for the Giants against Minnesota. If we lose we will need NY to beat Philly in the final and we want them motivated, if NY loses Sunday they are done and will lie down against Philly

Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
honestly, there wasn't much there to suggest that Cousins would be more than a solid backup..
37, hi.. This attitude ^ is the nucleus of my point about Cousins, & how he has been perceived & evaluated.
Cousins was a damn good college quarterback. He was accurate & strong. He's 5th all-time in documented Big Ten completion %, and 2nd all-time in Big Ten yards-per-play. In the completion percentage, he's ahead of greats like Brees and Jim Everett. He also threw picks in college, bcuz he's willing to play aggressive and vertical. In my opinion, that's a good prototype for NFL-starter quarterbacking.

Griffin essentially represented an opposite, contemporary style of mobile QB'ing. Modern fans have become enamored w/this style of QB'ing, but the more pocket savvy guys are winning the balance of the Lombardi trophies.. the Mannings, Brady, Kurt Warner, Brees, etc.. That's why I believe Cousins is being received begrudgingly at times, he's an affront to the supposed (& anticipated) takeover by young, mobile quarterbacks.. and it's also racialized at times. Griffin symbolizes the Black mobile QB, and Cousins the more traditional White pocket passer. Cousins displacing Griffin is sort of microcosm of the larger competing NFL QB styles/personalities.. I think it brings out more fan' emotions than 2 guys of the same race, or playing style, competing against each other for a job (?)

(and I'm speaking in broad terms about being mobile as primary strength vs. a good passer as primary strength, bcuz both Cousins & Griffin have some of each..)

Old 12-21-2015, 10:34 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
I'd still caution crowning Cousins the answer. Obviously he's your guy going into next season. But one season does not make a great QB. Let alone 8 or 10 games.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
37, hi.. This attitude ^ is the nucleus of my point about Cousins, & how he has been perceived & evaluated.
Cousins was a damn good college quarterback. He was accurate & strong. He's 5th all-time in documented Big Ten completion %, and 2nd all-time in Big Ten yards-per-play. In the completion percentage, he's ahead of greats like Brees and Jim Everett. He also threw picks in college, bcuz he's willing to play aggressive and vertical. In my opinion, that's a good prototype for NFL-starter quarterbacking.

Griffin essentially represented an opposite, contemporary style of mobile QB'ing. Modern fans have become enamored w/this style of QB'ing, but the more pocket savvy guys are winning the balance of the Lombardi trophies.. the Mannings, Brady, Kurt Warner, Brees, etc.. That's why I believe Cousins is being received begrudgingly at times, he's an affront to the supposed (& anticipated) takeover by young, mobile quarterbacks.. and it's also racialized at times. Griffin symbolizes the Black mobile QB, and Cousins the more traditional White pocket passer. Cousins displacing Griffin is sort of microcosm of the larger competing NFL QB styles/personalities.. I think it brings out more fan' emotions than 2 guys of the same race, or playing style, competing against each other for a job (?)

(and I'm speaking in broad terms about being mobile as primary strength vs. a good passer as primary strength, bcuz both Cousins & Griffin have some of each..)
Kirk Cousins was still available in the 4th round. It's no secret that he was available for a 3rd or so in at least 2 offseasons and nobody picked up the phone. There is a reason people paid to evaluate players for a living never moved on him. He threw picks and was inaccurate at times in college too, his arm was average at best. Griffin on the other hand had a much better arm, had a very quick release and threw an excellent deep ball. SM said he loved Griffin for all those reasons as well as his mobility.

It's clear now who is the better QB but let's not pretend it wasn't obvious on draft day who was considered the better prospect.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:54 AM

There were also negative scouting reports of Griffin back in 2012 that now seem prescient.

Quote:
"Everybody is just assuming because of the Heisman and the socks and all that bs. . . . they are ignoring a lot of bad tape that he's had," a third scout said. "I don't think he has vision or pocket feel, which to me are the two most important components of quarterbacking. He's just running around winging it. He's (Michael) Vick, but not as good a thrower."
Quote:
"As much as is written about his athleticism, his athleticism under duress in the pocket isn't even close to Cam Newton's. This guy, the only way he gets big plays with his feet is if he's got a wide-open field and the sea opens for him. He's got a little bit of a selfish streak, too. Everybody was laying on Cam, but for some reason this guy has become gloves off. He doesn't treat anybody good." Another scout also questioned the way Griffin deals with people.
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Quarterbacks

Old 12-22-2015, 10:01 AM

One of the comments re Kirk Cousins back in 2012.

Quote:
He’s exciting to watch, but dear lord he makes some bad decisions. The upside to that is that he makes them quickly, so if he can be coached up to take care of the ball, I could see his decisiveness becoming an asset rather than the wash it is now.
NFL Draft 2012: Scouting Kirk Cousins, QB Michigan State - Field Gulls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football