Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 03:46 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times

Advertisements

^^ Yeah, Smith was saying that Newton could still learn from the loss. He is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
The defensive line and secondary needs a lot of work. You aren't going to win anything in the NFL if you aren't solid in those areas in today's game. Not sure it's coaching so much rather than just a lack of talent, which I put on the GM.

Last night was awful and next week doesn't get any easier, that's for sure.
I kind of had to question what they did in this year's draft after last night. I like the pick of Luke at #9 but I thought they really should have gone with Steven Gilmore since he was on the board and CB was a much bigger need. Also, OL was not that big a need to I didn't like the pick of Amani in the 2nd round. I think Gamble and Godfrey are the only secondary members worthy of starting. Up front, Charles Johnson ideally would be a complimentary pass rusher not a main one. The Panthers really need to get serious about getting more talent on the D-line and secondary.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie4417 View Post
I have been a Jets fan since I have been 7. Do you honestly think I don't understand that I could have (and maybe should have) chosen a new team years ago based solely on the quality of my team?

So if I resisited all that, and fought with all of friends who were Giants fans, or Bills fans or whatever and stayed loyal to my team - I should just blindly become a Panthers fan once I settled in Charlotte?

Your posts on here are usually pretty good, but you are WAY off base here. Sorry.
Awwwww. Fandom can be a very rough road to travel.

Perhaps I have been too strident.

Now I feel bad about calling you out on your loyalties.

I'll just try to think about it like I do collegiate ball. We aren't all from the same colleges, so there will be times we will be sitting across from each other.

Just disappointed that we have had so many newcomers move to this area and instead of embracing what we have to offer up, people stay loyal to their former teams.

Makes us feel we have been rejected.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Yes, the pick of Luke has been questioned a lot. Everyone loves him, and he is a player, but is it what Carolina needed? It would be nice if the Panthers had got some real DTs--they have needed them for the past couple of years, but they keep thinking they can fill the position with low end (ie cheap) FAs. In today's NFL, you have got to have D-lineman. Johnson cant rush the passer by himself--were they expecting someone else to step up and help?

Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yes, the pick of Luke has been questioned a lot. Everyone loves him, and he is a player, but is it what Carolina needed? It would be nice if the Panthers had got some real DTs--they have needed them for the past couple of years, but they keep thinking they can fill the position with low end (ie cheap) FAs. In today's NFL, you have got to have D-lineman. Johnson cant rush the passer by himself--were they expecting someone else to step up and help?
I could see an argument that Carolina needed to look towards the future at LB since Thomas Davis can't be trusted after a 3rd ACL tear and you didn't know what Jon Beason was gonna do after returning from his injury but I think that is something you could have addressed in the late second or early 3rd round and reserved the 9th pick for an impact player at DT or CB. I love Luke but I think the pick was better used elsewhere.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM

378 posts, read 705,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Awwwww. Fandom can be a very rough road to travel.

Perhaps I have been too strident.

Now I feel bad about calling you out on your loyalties.

I'll just try to think about it like I do collegiate ball. We aren't all from the same colleges, so there will be times we will be sitting across from each other.

Just disappointed that we have had so many newcomers move to this area and instead of embracing what we have to offer up, people stay loyal to their former teams.

Makes us feel we have been rejected.
Yes but most of the time you see that former/but still favorite team loyalty at the stadium ONLY when that former/but still favorite team is playing the Panthers. The same people may have Panther jerseys on during another game. I'm a Panthers fan, been here 9 years, but I've been a 49ers fan since birth. While I'm not as vocal as most of the other team fans (steelers/jets/giants/cowboys) who take over the stadium when their teams play, if ever I got the chance to sit at a Panthers/49ers game, I'd be wearing my Steve Young jersey. But when I'm at a game I embrace the Panthers. And that goes for anywhere (except, probably not the Raider stadium...I do want to live)

I do know it sucks to get out of your car and everyone walking in is wearing black and yellow, but unfortunately that'll never change. Those fandoms are deep rooted and I know that.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:51 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times
I guess I'll pitch in on the conversation about our Panthers. I've had the day to think about it and I believe that there is a unique opportunity for us Panthers fans to lift up our young quarterback and stand behind him, showing our support through thick & thin. I may get flamed for this, but that's not my concern.

We have all seen what Cam can do. Before I moved to North Carolina in 2005, I had no NFL team. I was always just a college fan (Roll Tide) and the Panthers are my first team to really root for. As a college fan, I saw Cam take a mediocre Auburn team to the National Championship and win the Crystal Trophy. He made Gene Chizik look like a genius, and since Cam left, they have seriously struggled to form an identity. Cam made that team in the end, and if you think about it, last year he made Chud look like a future NFL head coach. Cam has skills. Serious skills. He has a great arm, great physicality, but lacks the very important mindset that makes a great pro QB. We've all seen him sulk and droop on the sidelines, and he needs to get his head in the game and step up into the leadership role that this offense needs. This is where the fans can pitch in. He needs to see that even in these crappy performances, the fans believe in him and we continue to cheer him on. He has excellent potential, but we need to boost him up and hope the front office of the team makes some serious adjustments as well, to make this a truly competitive team. It would be great to see Cam grow as a QB, and take this team to the playoffs, then to a SB. He could be our Brett Favre. I'd like to see Smitty continue to encourage him (like he did on the sideline last night lol) and hope Cam's character gets a real boost. This is an opportunity to have a quality franchise QB at Carolina. When do you see this happening again if he is gone? Jerry Richardson is sure as hell not going to spend more than he has to.

Otherwise, the team obviously needs some play makers on both lines; people who can be competitive against the big-boy teams like NY, Pittsburgh, etc. Also it is becoming clear that the coaching staff is iffy at best. From this layman's perspective, the play calling seems atrocious at times and the management appears lost occasionally. We need to give Rivera more time to grow as well, but keep in mind he may be the cheapest thing Richardson could get as a "head coach". He hired Hurney, an ex-sports writer, as GM. I'm willing to bet he didn't get Hurney for his track record.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times
Here's an interesting read regarding our friend Marty Hurney for those interested...

The roster moves made by the Panthers GM are incompetent at best - Grantland

Old 09-21-2012, 05:11 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'm also surprised frewroad has posted so much in this thread and seems to actually be a Panthers fan himself when just the other day he said they were just knuckleheads moving a ball around
You know, you are not exactly the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer. I made 2 posts in this 78 post topic and neither had anything to do with being a fan of the Panthers.

It's amusing to me to see people get so worked up over knuckleheads moving a ball around the field. Even someone such as you should have been able to figure this out, but I guess I assumed too much.

--------------------------------

Bottom line to all of this however is that IMO, the NFL doesn't have a lot of hometown support by Carolinians and probably never will. On top of that, George Shinn showed the true side to professional sports to this city and I think that all of it suffered as a result.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I guess I'll pitch in on the conversation about our Panthers. I've had the day to think about it and I believe that there is a unique opportunity for us Panthers fans to lift up our young quarterback and stand behind him, showing our support through thick & thin. I may get flamed for this, but that's not my concern.

We have all seen what Cam can do. Before I moved to North Carolina in 2005, I had no NFL team. I was always just a college fan (Roll Tide) and the Panthers are my first team to really root for. As a college fan, I saw Cam take a mediocre Auburn team to the National Championship and win the Crystal Trophy. He made Gene Chizik look like a genius, and since Cam left, they have seriously struggled to form an identity. Cam made that team in the end, and if you think about it, last year he made Chud look like a future NFL head coach. Cam has skills. Serious skills. He has a great arm, great physicality, but lacks the very important mindset that makes a great pro QB. We've all seen him sulk and droop on the sidelines, and he needs to get his head in the game and step up into the leadership role that this offense needs. This is where the fans can pitch in. He needs to see that even in these crappy performances, the fans believe in him and we continue to cheer him on. He has excellent potential, but we need to boost him up and hope the front office of the team makes some serious adjustments as well, to make this a truly competitive team. It would be great to see Cam grow as a QB, and take this team to the playoffs, then to a SB. He could be our Brett Favre. I'd like to see Smitty continue to encourage him (like he did on the sideline last night lol) and hope Cam's character gets a real boost. This is an opportunity to have a quality franchise QB at Carolina. When do you see this happening again if he is gone? Jerry Richardson is sure as hell not going to spend more than he has to.

Otherwise, the team obviously needs some play makers on both lines; people who can be competitive against the big-boy teams like NY, Pittsburgh, etc. Also it is becoming clear that the coaching staff is iffy at best. From this layman's perspective, the play calling seems atrocious at times and the management appears lost occasionally. We need to give Rivera more time to grow as well, but keep in mind he may be the cheapest thing Richardson could get as a "head coach". He hired Hurney, an ex-sports writer, as GM. I'm willing to bet he didn't get Hurney for his track record.
This team has deficiencies. I agree w/alot you've said. The coaching is iffy at best. However, please do not make excuses for Cam. He is an adult and needs to be a professional and grow up. This is the big boy league, not college anymore. Smitty did the right thing and we will see how he responds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football