Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times

Advertisements

We can argue about this till the cows come home.

I blame the safety and the secondary for blowing things at the end. Even if the receiver made the catch for Baltimore, all he had to do was keep him in bounds and the clock would've been running...Baltimore had no timeouts and at that point still needed to get in the end zone to tie....If they make that basic play, no one is bitching about this..

I think the attempted FG at the half was the call the coaching staff should be questioned about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
notice I said "when the team scores 35 points." I'm well aware 14 of those points came from Holiday.

And the Ravens defense is no slouch either. They had a lot of guys back on Saturday that didn't play against us in the regular season. 21 points against that inspired Ray Lewis led defense ain't too bad. Hell, Andrew Luck and the Colts couldn't even find th endzone against them in the wild card round. Not to mention the Broncos has some HUGE drops late in the game.

By the way, could young Trendon Holiday be the next Devin Hester? He's got what now, 3 or 4 special teams touchdowns? And he only played half the season. This dude is going to be a serious problem for opposing special teams coaches for years to come.

I'd love to somehow maybe get him worked into the offense a tad bit, even if it was just as a decoy. Or maybe let him run a reverse once or twice a game
A 2 interception game is a bad game. Especially in a game when you didn't light it up.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
All the broncos had to do was keep the ravens out of the end zone with less then a min left in the game prior to overtime. VERY poor coverage in the broncos secondary. Im now pulling for the falcons to take it all but the way seattle came back & almost won gives me doubts.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
We can argue about this till the cows come home.

I blame the safety and the secondary for blowing things at the end. Even if the receiver made the catch for Baltimore, all he had to do was keep him in bounds and the clock would've been running...Baltimore had no timeouts and at that point still needed to get in the end zone to tie....If they make that basic play, no one is bitching about this..

I think the attempted FG at the half was the call the coaching staff should be questioned about...
I agree we can and that is why I don't really look at the players mistakes because after any loss you can go back and look at players mistakes and say what if. That being said in the NFL I expect more when it comes to time management from the coaching staff. The last two minutes of the game I saw the worst time management I have ever personally seen in the NFL and worse then in my division 2 team of CSU Pueblo. There is no excuse for that and why I was not sad when I heard the offensive coordinator was going to coach at San Diego. That being said I do wish him well in San Diego.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
I still will get into all this in detail but a quick note here. The Baltimore Ravens won SB-XXXV. From 2000 to this current season they are 126-72 in the regular season. During this stretch they had just three losing seasons. They have been there before. Though they just have the one super bowl appearance, they know about getting to the playoffs. They weren't going to come in here and just fold. Their defense missed four starters for this game, the most notable ones being Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs. The combined total of tackles made in the game with these two? 27.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-31-2013 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: correction, spelling

Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I agree but my biggest problem is why would they give the ball to a rookie to run when all they had to do is make a first down and the game was over? Let Manning throw a short pass and get the first down then take a knee and they won.. I think that was the worst time management I have ever seen in the NFL.
Hindsight is always 20/20. If they would have tried to pass and it was incomplete the clock stops. Now the Ravens get the ball back with amost 2 minutes left. If the Ravens drove down and scored with those extra seconds, possibly another 4 plays, then Denver fans would be saying..why didn`t they just run it and take seconds off the clock. The Ravens had no timeouts, no way they would have scored with 1 minute and no timeouts against the 2nd ranked defense.

If Manning throws and gets sacked, Dever fans make the same argument. If he tries to throw it and it results in a fumble of some sort, they make the same argument. If he tries to throw it and it`s batted and intercepted, you make the same argument.

It`s always easy looking back, after things don`t go well, and think the best possible outcome if they would have done the exact opposite.

Raven`s fans can say the same thing. Flacco overthrew Smith when he was wide open for a TD. Horrible breakdown in special teams. If they would have just stayed in their lanes, no way Denver gets 14 points. etc.

In that regular season game, if Flacco doesn`t throw that int,it`s a different game. That could have been a 14 pt swing, a 10 pt. swing at the least. My point is, it is always easy to say what if. Ravens should have been in the SB last year. But that`s the way it goes. There are so many plays over the course of a game that can swing it. But everybody in Denver thought their team was so much better than the Ravens. In reality, that regular season game should have been much closer. It wasn`t like Manning picked them apart in the first game. He had 200 yards and 1 TD, I think.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
^

I agree and that is why for the most part I am not talking about mistakes the players made. However, I was at the game and I was saying this as they were making the calls and the announcers on 850 KOA were questioning it as well. Don't get me wrong if the Broncos top running back had been in the game I would of understood the calls but giving it to a rookie in that situation is just like taking a knee and that left Baltimore with way to much time on the clock. Go with what they had been successful with and just get a few years to get one first down then the game would have been over.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,078 times
Some Denver fans wouldn't have been happy either way, take a knee...well, they should've gone for it. Go for it, something bad happens... well they should've taken a knee and took their chances in OT. Nothing would have been the right move to a lot of Bronco fans. I feel going for it would have been favorable. But that missed coverage on the BAL receiver was a real nail in the coffin uinfortunately. And the missed FG didn't help!
I just know that 30 seconds is an eternity for Manning, and IMO, maybe 2 of those losses could have been wins had Manning had 30 seconds left, particularly the Atlanta game I went to.
This is a tough loss, and it will take a while to get over it. Next season is not super easy, we have the NFC East and AFC South, so some challenging games. And I'm sure NE will get another easy schedule as always.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 PM

17,997 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
And I'm sure NE will get another easy schedule as always.
Any schedule is easy when you're on/near the top looking down.

Still not over this loss yet either. As long as we can hang onto Manning Fox and Del Rio, maybe we can give it another go next season.

Any idea who will replace McCoy?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,394 times
New England doesn't necessarily get an easy schedule by design. Always being in first place in the AFC East, they always play a #1 schedule, which includes the division winners from other AFC conferences.

The patriots are just lucky that, during this 10 year period with Brady and Bill, the rest of their division is AWFUL. Patriots are basically given 6 free wins every year from Buffalo, Miami, and NJY. Every now and then the Jets might steal one from them. The Patriots just so happened to peak when the rest of their division sucks.

@ McGowdog, no idea. I've heard Wisenhunt's name tossed around a lot yesterday...but so far no interviews setup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football