Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times

Advertisements

IMO it's blasphemy to mention Elway in the same breath as Farve!! Favre or Fav-rah is a creepy, slimy pig. (IMO!!) Unfortunately there may be no easy answers at first. I am happy Elway is in the front office though, I always love the thought of him being on "our" side! Guess we'll just have to see how things shake out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
how does hiring John Elway help the broncos....So now you have 2 general managers? I think this is a dumb Idea....Hes starting to remind me of Favre...just wont go away. This guy is a real jerk...cheated on his wife, cheated his business partners..wouldn't go to the white house with this team mates to celebrate the SB victory just because hes a republican and Clinton invited the Bronocs. Used to be a huge Elway fan...but I kinda want both Favre and Elway to disappear into quiet retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
I hear ya there...when you start bringing in OLD grey haird QBs just for some PR, your probably not ready to make a Superbowl run.
The problem isn't Elway, it's that Bowlen didn't learn his lesson. Mike Shanahan failed because he basically ran the entire team while Bowlen signed the checks. Bowlen dumps him when he starts winning and hires McDaniels, but then turns around and drops the same responsibilities in his lap. When that doesn't work, he fires McDaniels and brings in Elway in a desperation PR move. The problem with this franchise is we have no true GM to help balance the load and place a check on the coach's power. Sundquist and Xanders were both nothing more than cap and contracts people, yet Elway and Bowlen seem perfectly content to let Xanders assume the personnel development role when they could have gone out and got someone like Eric DeCosta and completely upgraded the situation.

Long story short, we've missed out on the top to bottom change this franchise needed. Until Bowlen comes to realize that it's the structure of team causing these issues, we're destined to mediocrity and the cycle of mid-management turnover.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
IMO it's blasphemy to mention Elway in the same breath as Farve!! Favre or Fav-rah is a creepy, slimy pig. (IMO!!) Unfortunately there may be no easy answers at first. I am happy Elway is in the front office though, I always love the thought of him being on "our" side! Guess we'll just have to see how things shake out.
What... like his two minute come-from behind offense from the 80s and 90s is going to help the broncos front office? Sorry about the Favre reference...although Ive learned to disrespect both QB is different ways. At one time I truly believe that I was the biggest Elway fan who DIDNT live in Colorado (at least biggest fan in Oregon). These sports figure heads NEVER do a good job off the field/court. Look at what Gretzky did to the phoenix Coyotes, Look what Jordan has done to his BB team. Look what Isiah Thomas (spelled wrong) did to the Knicks.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times
I see your point, I understand what you're saying. I don't think this is a magical solution, I just think it's a move in a positive direction. I'd like to think that it couldn't hurt? Elway knows Denver and the team like the back of his hand, and after watching his press conference, he genuinely seems excited to take this on. Maybe he has more tools to work with and a much closer relationship to Denver and the Broncos than Jordan did to WAS, or Gretzky to PHO, you know? It may make somewhat of a difference. It won't be easy, and I'm not under any kind of spell or anything, I just hope that he does make good personnell decisions and gets the team back on the right track. That's all I've ever wanted!! Maybe this time will be different? We'll just have to see.

Quote:
What... like his two minute come-from behind offense from the 80s and 90s is going to help the broncos front office? Sorry about the Favre reference...although Ive learned to disrespect both QB is different ways. At one time I truly believe that I was the biggest Elway fan who DIDNT live in Colorado (at least biggest fan in Oregon). These sports figure heads NEVER do a good job off the field/court. Look at what Gretzky did to the phoenix Coyotes, Look what Jordan has done to his BB team. Look what Isiah Thomas (spelled wrong) did to the Knicks.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:23 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
You got a new head coach...John Fox.

Broncos hire ex-Panthers coach John Fox as head coach - The Huddle: Football News from the NFL - USATODAY.com

Old 01-13-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Pretty underwhelmed. If he keeps McCoy to run the offense, I will be EXTREMELY unhappy with this move.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Just learned this a bit ago. I'm, uh, kind of up in the air on this to be polite. I'm a little surprised it went down this quickly. I'm going to stream 104.3 "The Fan" and see what the guys think of this. Right now it's Alfred Williams, later tonight I'll see what Sandy Clough thinks. According to what I just now heard, "The Fan" will have the press conference on live at noon tomorrow.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 PM

553 posts, read 1,545,152 times
"Fox was fired from the Panthers on Dec. 31 after the team went 2-14 -- the worst record of the NFL. That's worse than former Broncos Coach Josh McDaniel's record last season, which was 4-12." ~ Channel 7 news, www.thedenverchannel.com

I'm not going to get my hopes up. He's got big shoes to fill, from Shanahan I mean. But anyway, I'll be there for my Broncos, rain or shine, win or lose.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
"Fox was fired from the Panthers on Dec. 31 after the team went 2-14 -- the worst record of the NFL. That's worse than former Broncos Coach Josh McDaniel's record last season, which was 4-12." ~ Channel 7 news, www.thedenverchannel.com

I'm not going to get my hopes up. He's got big shoes to fill, from Shanahan I mean. But anyway, I'll be there for my Broncos, rain or shine, win or lose.
In Fox's defense, Carolina may have one of the cheapest owners in the business. They essentially fired him because they didn't want to pay him the big money.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 AM

553 posts, read 1,545,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
In Fox's defense, Carolina may have one of the cheapest owners in the business. They essentially fired him because they didn't want to pay him the big money.
I wouldn't pay him big money for that kind of losing record either. But I see what you're saying. I did hear good things about John Fox too.

I'm just cautious since the whole McDaniel's mess. We were so excited to get Josh. Almost everyone had really high hopes for that guy. Then he not only let us down as a coach, but he CHEATED too! Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football