Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 12:56 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times

Advertisements

Why do we talk about Kube like he's the offensive coordinator? Does not Rick Dennison do anything? If not, why not retire him to manager at some Sports Authority store somewhere in the Denver Metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 01:04 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Why do we talk about Kube like he's the offensive coordinator? Does not Rick Dennison do anything? If not, why not retire him to manager at some Sports Authority store somewhere in the Denver Metro?
I believe Kubiak called the plays. But I'm glad you mentioned Dennison. I was thrilled with the coaching hires this off season with the exception of Dennison. I'm curious to see what improvements can be made in the second season of these guys running things but I'm suspect of Dennison's viability in the long run as the OC.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:48 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I believe Kubiak called the plays. But I'm glad you mentioned Dennison. I was thrilled with the coaching hires this off season with the exception of Dennison. I'm curious to see what improvements can be made in the second season of these guys running things but I'm suspect of Dennison's viability in the long run as the OC.
You are kind.

I think he just sucks.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:36 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Great win by the broncos even though manning played ok but not great. Aqib Talib is a ticking time bomb & was fined over 26k dollars for taunting & face mask. He has been fined in the past.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Great win by the broncos even though manning played ok but not great. Aqib Talib is a ticking time bomb & was fined over 26k dollars for taunting & face mask. He has been fined in the past.
Manning's line from the game is eerily similar to Elway's from the SB XXXII against the Packers. It's also pretty similar to Brady's against the Rams. It shatters Roethlisberger's performance over the Seahawks. Manning is far from the first QB to have numbers like that in a Super Bowl while the defense or some other component on carries the team. I think a lot is being made of Manning's numbers in that game but it's not the first time something like this has happened. And when his team wins, none of his numbers matter. I'll take that line in a winning effort over 350 yards, 4 TDs and no INTs in a losing effort every time. Especially in the Super Bowl!

Old 02-14-2016, 07:56 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Aqib Talib needs to tone his act down. His finger in the eye stunt may have cost us one game. If he keeps pulling these selfish stunts, it may be wise to trade him.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 02-14-2016 at 08:28 AM..

Old 02-14-2016, 09:07 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
43-8: Talk about a number that literally does not matter anymore. I've had this number thrown in my face several times since that awful night. Ironically enough, it's Chiefs fans who are quick to do it, as if the Chiefs had anything to do with it. (I'll come back to them.) But now nobody can throw it in our faces. The Broncos won the golden Super Bowl. Manning in a Broncos uniform did something that has never been done before. The defense gave a timeless performance. The team as a whole decisively beat a heavily favored opponent. Chiefs fans will not be so fast to bring up the Broncos most recent Super Bowl. Hell, not even Seahawks fans can throw that in our faces anymore! The Seahawks are 1-2 in the Super Bowl. Do the math: The Broncos have as many wins as the Seahawks have appearances. Sure, it would have been nice to get that one, but it's in the books. The good news is that chapter is closed and a new and better one has replaced it.
I won't go as far as saying it doesn't matter. That loss will always sting, just like the loss to Jaguars in 1996, Steelers in 2005 and Ravens in 2012. It's not so much the fact that we lost but the manner in which we lost. I will always believe that even with our injury depleted roster that year, that had we approached the game in a far more professional manner, there is a good chance we could have won. I ultimately put that loss on John Fox and forever going forward, the words "not too shabby" will be enough to drive me into a homicidal rage.

Quote:
Ruining the Chiefs best season in years: Maybe this is just a little schadenfreude on my part. Since Reid took over the Chiefs, they have been our most fearsome rival. Forget the fact that the Broncos b-slapped them 7 of 8 times since Manning's arrival. In the past off season the Chiefs fans took their dislike for the Broncos to new levels, even actively rooting for their players to end Manning's career. That win in Kansas City was as satisfying a win as we've had over the Chiefs since a 14-10 game in Kansas City years ago. That loss in Denver was awful. Watching them rip off a 10 game win streak to reach 11-5 was frustrating, especially since many of them left their own team for dead when they were 1-5. To hear so many of them claiming "they never doubted" was hilarious. And to see them so jubilant that the Chiefs finally broke that 22 year old, 8 playoff game losing streak, only for the Broncos to completely upstage them by winning the Super Bowl is as awesome as it gets. They would have been able to look at this season as memorable. Instead, since their most hated rival just won the Super Bowl they will look at it as miserable.
This. A thousand times this.

Leading up to the Super Bowl, it seemed like pretty much everyone was cheering Denver on, especially among fans of other AFC teams. Following social media, it was clear that the majority of the Pats, Steelers, Raiders and Charger fans were pulling for Denver. The lone exception was the Chiefs fans. Almost without exception, all of them I saw were pulling for the Panthers and filled with sour grapes. I really can't say enough negative things about that fan base and the amount of outright jealousy they feel towards Denver cannot be overstated.

Quote:
Improbable Season: Shy of the actual Super Bowl win, taking in the 2015 season as a whole is a spectacle to behold. We had our ups and downs and our frustrations. We questioned Kubiak along the way and praised Wade Philips. We wondered if Manning should hand 'em up and pondered our chances with Osweiler. We marveled at how amazing this defense was and lamented that the offense was squandering a historic defensive season. We breathed sighs of relief after close wins and we weathered disappointing losses. We saw a team play inspired and tough: tougher than any Broncos team we've seen in years. And after a cameo by Manning at the end of the regular season and taking the season as a whole, to include the toughness of this team, some of us began to think this Broncos team had a chance. Looking back on it, I wouldn't change a thing. Not one win, loss, interception, 4th down attempt stuffed for a loss, or anything else. All's well that ends well, and the 2015 Broncos could not have ended it any better.

I could go on, but I you get the idea.
I know how you feel. I am almost always confident for a Broncos season, but it had been on a different level since Manning showed up. I remember thinking we had a very good shot in 2012, felt we were a lock in 2013 and again thought we had a shot going into 2014. 2015 is the only year of the Manning era where I didn't feel we would be serious contenders at the beginning of the year, and we choose that year to win it all. Funny how that works.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
On offense I think we'll see a logical progression over this year. This year's offense worked through a lot of changes and limitations and often came through when they needed to the most. And at the end of the day it's tough to criticize the offense of a team that just won the SB, even if you expect progress next year.
This was my biggest problem with Kubiak this year. It was a bad idea to try and change Manning's offense, and the hybrid they set up was a pure abomination. Despite what a lot of the talking heads said, when Manning was healthy he was throwing the ball fine. His problems (and the problems with the offense in general) is that no one seemed to know what the hell they were doing. This was a coaching fail and I'd expect that guys of Kubiak's caliber would have done a better job.

Quote:
So here are some thoughts on the Broncos offense in 2016:

Manning will likely retire and the Broncos will sign Osweiler to an extension.
Agreed. While I still think Manning could play at a high level in the offense he is comfortable in, I'd rather see him ride off into the sunset a winner and allow Osweiler to prove he is the QB of the future. I'm still not sold on him.

Quote:
Vern Davis and Virgil Green will be gone. Davis because he was not even much a factor in his short time with the Broncos and Green because despite being a capable pass catcher and a lethal blocker, he just doesn't seem to be in the offensive design all that much. This baffles me. Owen Daniels will return, and Jeff Heuerman returning from injury looks to bring some punch to that position.
Davis is a free agent. Personally, I'd like to see Denver resign him to a reasonable contract. He is still very talented and it was a lot to ask of him to come in and play well in this offense so late in the season.

I'd be extremely shocked if Virgil Green was cut. He is only 1 year into a very reasonable 3 year contract and provides valuable insurance, especially with Davis potentially leaving, Daniels getting up in years, and Heurmann completely unproven.

Quote:
DT will take the off season to reset mentally. Sanders remains on contract through 2016. Caldwell, Norwood and Fowler are as enviable a 3, 4, and 5 as you can find in the NFL, but I doubt all three return for 2016. I like Caldwell but I see a lot more upside to Fowler and Norwood and hope the Broncos can find the roster space for both of them. Top to bottom this will be one of the most formidable WR corps in the league.
Don't forget Latimer, who showed some signs of life this year.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Kubiak calls the plays. Dennison is the offensive coordinator which means he handles the majority of game planning and strategy during the week while Kubiak is working over the rest of the team.

Quote:
I'm not sure about Dennison. I've never been a huge fan of his, but he's well respected in league circles and was one of only two coaches that Josh McDaniels retained from Shanahan's staff.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I won't go as far as saying it doesn't matter. That loss will always sting, just like the loss to Jaguars in 1996, Steelers in 2005 and Ravens in 2012. It's not so much the fact that we lost but the manner in which we lost. I will always believe that even with our injury depleted roster that year, that had we approached the game in a far more professional manner, there is a good chance we could have won. I ultimately put that loss on John Fox and forever going forward, the words "not too shabby" will be enough to drive me into a homicidal rage.
My point in saying it doesn't matter is that you literally cannot mention the loss without the win. Had the Broncos not won the Super Bowl this year and Manning retired, that ugly SB loss would have been considered his defining moment as the Broncos QB: close but no cigar. It would continue to be the defining moment for Elway and the Broncos organization until they won another Super Bowl. By doing so they have shaped the dialogue so that any intellectually honest discussion or even critique of the Broncos cannot mention the loss without also mentioning the win. To do so would be to ignore the defining moment of this era of Broncos football.

As for your comments about Fox, I agree entirely. The more I learn about how he handled that run the more I dislike him. A professionally run team would not have gotten blasted like that. Who knows if they would have won or not had the Broncos been coached more professionally. It's impossible to do more than speculate and the only conclusions we can reach are tainted by our own biases. With that said, it's easy to look at a 43-8 final score and conclude the coach failed the team. There is no disputing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Don't forget Latimer, who showed some signs of life this year.
I did forget Latimer. I knew I was forgetting someone. Sanders is on contract through 2016 but I would be willing to bet Latimer breaks out big in 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football