Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2023, 01:40 PM

1,992 posts, read 978,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
I think the AFC North is the toughest div in the NFL and the AFC South did pretty well against them.
The weakest divisions in the NFL are in the NFC. Both the NFC South and The East suck.

The NFC East losing streak is up to 12 games.

The Eagles and the Boys look good because they rack up wins against super weak opponents.

Half of the Texans starters are damaged. That shows that they need to sure up their depth, but the young team of starters are pretty good.

This is an odd year in the NFL. Just about every team is on their 2nd, 3rd and in some cases 4th QB.

The NFC East however isn't as afflicted as most and yet they are on a 12 game losing streak. Why is that?

The AFC South has 3 teams in the running for the post season. Only the AFC North has more teams than that.

On a whole the AFC just has stronger teams this year. Apart from the Patriots there really isn't a team that's just horrible.
The NFC on the other hand has more than a handful. Panthers, Cardinals, Commanders, Giants, Saints, Falcons... All awful. The Bucs and the Bears.

Even NFC teams like the Vikings are pitiful against the AFC. The Viks lost every single AFC matchup except the pitiful 3-0 win against the Raiders.

Even the Niners have had a harder time against the AFC, than the NFC, with 2 of it's 3 losses against the AFC.
The Cowboys seemed unstoppable after a string of NFC challengers, but they were shown to be stoppable in their last 2 games when they faced AFC challengers.

On the flip side the Ravens beat every single NFC opponent so far.
The Bengals beat all 5 NFC opponents including the niners
The Bills beat all NFC opponents except the Eagles.
The Dolphins beat every NFC opponent except the Eagles.

You mentioned that Houston played a Playoff team in the browns and lost, but the Niners are the best in the NFC and they also lost to the Browns.

The Ravens - Niners match up will tell a lot. The Ravens have only lost games to the AFC North and AFC South.
The 49ers lost to the Browns back in October. That was over 2 months ago. I guarantee if they both played again right now, San Francisco would win convincingly.

Cleveland also has a stronger conference record (7-3 versus 5-5) than Houston, has played a more difficult schedule (.532 versus .473), and a larger strength of victory (.514 versus .450). The Browns are far better and its not even close. And Houston just lost to Joe Flacco who turns 39 next month. Having Wil Anderson or CJ Stroud in the lineup would not have mattered. The final score was not even indicative of the actual game. Cleveland dominated.

Actually, of the top 11 teams in the AFC, Houston has the 8th ranked strength of victory. They are 4-4 against teams with winning records right now. Who is their best win? Jacksonville? Cincinnati? Pittsburgh? Lol. None of those teams are among the best in the AFC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2023, 10:44 PM

362 posts, read 134,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
The 49ers lost to the Browns back in October. That was over 2 months ago. I guarantee if they both played again right now, San Francisco would win convincingly.
ith

And there you have it.
The AFC is simply stronger than the NFC.
The AFC has a tougher time with records because they are playing in a tougher conference.

You include the Bengals in the list of not being the best in the AFC, but they beat every single NFC team they played, including the Niners.
The Ravens beat every NFC team they played
The Bills and the Phins beat 4 of their 5 NFC matchups.

The niners is the best in the NFC, but against the AFC they are only 2 of 5

The Texans and the Niners had 7 common opponents.
The Texans are 5-2 against those.
The Niners are 4-3 against those.

Again it's all about who you play, and the Texans seem to do better against common teams than the niners.
Knocking the Texans as not a playoff team because the Texans lost to the browns is silly because the niners also lost to the browns. And the Texans played the Browns without Stroud.

The Texans may not be the best in the AFC, but based on common games they could hang with the best of the NFC

Old 12-26-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
ith

And there you have it.
The AFC is simply stronger than the NFC.
The AFC has a tougher time with records because they are playing in a tougher conference.

You include the Bengals in the list of not being the best in the AFC, but they beat every single NFC team they played, including the Niners.
The Ravens beat every NFC team they played
The Bills and the Phins beat 4 of their 5 NFC matchups.

The niners is the best in the NFC, but against the AFC they are only 2 of 5

The Texans and the Niners had 7 common opponents.
The Texans are 5-2 against those.
The Niners are 4-3 against those.

Again it's all about who you play, and the Texans seem to do better against common teams than the niners.
Knocking the Texans as not a playoff team because the Texans lost to the browns is silly because the niners also lost to the browns. And the Texans played the Browns without Stroud.

The Texans may not be the best in the AFC, but based on common games they could hang with the best of the NFC
You are clearly biased for the Texans. I pointed out that Houston is just 4-4 against teams with a winning record right now. That is not very good for a team that could make the playoffs.

The Browns beat the Texans without Nick Chubb, DeShaun Watson, among others. Even if Stroud plays, do you think a fully healthy Texans could beat a fully healthy Browns? I don't know man.

I agree the AFC is superior to the NFC this year. I am sure the AFC has a winning record versus the NFC in the interconference match ups.

You need to understand the NFL is a week-to-week business. Just because a team plays well one week, does not guarantee they will play well in the next. Houston barely beat the Titans in overtime, then the week before they get clobbered by the Jets, who are terrible.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:38 PM

Flacco has always been a more dangerous QB than Watson. And trust me, Watson is my boy. Love him so much, but don't downplay Flacco.

But yes, I think a healthy Texans team with Stroud, Dell, Anderson would have whopped some Browns butt.

Houston barely beat the Titans, but they beat the Titans who beat the Dolphins a week earlier. Houston win over the Titans is the same margin as the Seahawks or colts margin over the titans.

Y'all look too narrowly at overall stats and not deeply enough in the play.

Old 12-27-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Flacco has always been a more dangerous QB than Watson. And trust me, Watson is my boy. Love him so much, but don't downplay Flacco.

But yes, I think a healthy Texans team with Stroud, Dell, Anderson would have whopped some Browns butt.

Houston barely beat the Titans, but they beat the Titans who beat the Dolphins a week earlier. Houston win over the Titans is the same margin as the Seahawks or colts margin over the titans.

Y'all look too narrowly at overall stats and not deeply enough in the play.
You pretty much ignored what I said above: the NFL is a week-to-week business.

Houston is 4-4 against teams with a winning record. That shows they are mediocre.

The Browns dominated the Texans. It took Houston's offense until the 4th quarter to score an offensive touchdown. Before that, it was 36-7 Browns. The game was over. Houston made it "pretty" with two scores in garbage time when the game was way out of reach. The Texans also needed overtime to beat a lowly Titans team and previously was clobbered by 24 points against the horrid Jets.

Against current AFC playoff teams the Texans are 1-4. Ouch.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:30 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times

Texans win 26-3 over the Titans.

Winning season…….check.

The last game of the season will essentially a playoff game….Texans vs. Colts…..the winner gets in…….as a wild card….but….I believe if Jacksonville happen to lose next week, the winner of that Texans/Colts game wins the division.

Old 12-31-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

Texans win 26-3 over the Titans.

Winning season…….check.

The last game of the season will essentially a playoff game….Texans vs. Colts…..the winner gets in…….as a wild card….but….I believe if Jacksonville happen to lose next week, the winner of that Texans/Colts game wins the division.
I think that is right. But I believe the loser would be out of the playoffs, as Jacksonville would have the division record tiebreaker (4-2 vs. 3-3) over Houston and the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Colts.

Old 12-31-2023, 05:46 PM

The loser will be out of the playoffs, we all know that. There is only one playoff spot left
The Browns and the Bills already have 10+ wins so the loser would be down a game.

Jacksonville will have to win next week to keep the division and probably a playoff birth.
Either the Texans or the Colts will have a 4-2 divisional record next week unless there is a tie.

But if the Steelers win next week and the Jags lose, the jags are out of the Playoffs. So a loss for any of the 3 AFC South contenders might mean the end of the road.

Heck if Jacksonville and the Steelers loses the Texans and Titans just need to tie for both to make the playoffs. But the Steelers play the Ravens nexts week, and the Ravens have already clinched the Conference so the Steelers have a good shot at making the playoffs if Jacksonville loses

Old 12-31-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
The loser will be out of the playoffs, we all know that. There is only one playoff spot left
The Browns and the Bills already have 10+ wins so the loser would be down a game.

Jacksonville will have to win next week to keep the division and probably a playoff birth.
Either the Texans or the Colts will have a 4-2 divisional record next week unless there is a tie.

But if the Steelers win next week and the Jags lose, the jags are out of the Playoffs. So a loss for any of the 3 AFC South contenders might mean the end of the road.

Heck if Jacksonville and the Steelers loses the Texans and Titans just need to tie for both to make the playoffs. But the Steelers play the Ravens nexts week, and the Ravens have already clinched the Conference so the Steelers have a good shot at making the playoffs if Jacksonville loses
Rep. You summed it up nicely.

Steelers need a win + Jax loss to make playoffs because Buffalo won today.

Bills need to win against the Dolphins to get in OR need a Steelers or Jax loss. If Steelers win, the Bills are out.

I think if the Colts lose to the Texans, they still get in with a Steelers loss.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Rep. You summed it up nicely.

Thanks.
Steelers need a win + Jax loss to make playoffs because Buffalo won today.

Bills need to win against the Dolphins to get in OR need a Steelers or Jax loss. If Steelers win, the Bills are out.

I think if the Colts lose to the Texans, they still get in with a Steelers loss.
Remember the Colts are already one down behind the Bills. If the Colts and Steelers lose next week the Wild Cards will be Browns, Bills and Texans/Jaguars

The Colts would need to win outright Or
Tie + jags lose.

If the Bills lose it will take more than Steelers or Jags losses to get in. All 3 have 6-5 conference records and all have conference games next week. So the Bills would have to change that to a Steelers AND jags loss to get the Bills in.

Alternatively the Bills can get in if the Texans/Colts tie and either the Steelers or Jags lose
A Steelers win combined with a Bills loss doesn't automatically kick out the Bills. In that scenario you would have to add a Jags win and a Texans/Colts win to kick out the Bills as the Steelers, Jags and Texans would all have better conference records with a win.

The Colts already have a better conference record than the Texans, Bills, Steelers or Jags but would still need a win or at least a tie combined with a Jacksonville loss to make the Playoffs. A Colts loss means Houston gets the WildCard. A colts loss plus a Jacksonville loss still gets Jacksonville in because they beat the Colts head to head.

I don't see any scenario where the Steelers, Texans or Colts lose and still get in.
The Jags and the Bills can lose and still get in.
A jags loss however opens the door for the Bills, Steelers, Colts or Texans to get in together, depending on the win scenario.
Texans and Colts will both be in with a tie if Steelers and Jags lose.

Ties are rare so either the Texans or the Colts are in but not both, I believe the Bills are in win or lose and the Steelers are only in with some help.

To keep things together in my mind one last time:
Texans and Colts will earn a WC spot with a win and be out with a loss.
Colts would own the Division with a win/tie and Jags loss
Texans would win the Division with a win and Jags lose.

Jags will own the Div with a win.
Jags will win the div with a tie and Colts/Texans tie.
Jags would own a WC spot with a loss if the Texans/Colts don't tie

Bills will earn a WC spot with a win or tie or
Jags and Steelers loss or tie or
Jags or Steelers loss or tie AND Texans- Colts tie.

Steelers will earn a WC spot with a win and Texans/Colts Tie or
A win + Jags loss and Texans/Colts tie or
A win + Bills loss + Jags loss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football