Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times

Advertisements

So I see a lot of people saying any average quarterback could put up good numbers and have the Vikings where they are right now, and it really doesn't have much to do with Favre other than he is average or slightly better.

So do those people feel the same way about Tom Brady? Just look at Matt Cassel last year and Matt Cassel this year. Look at Daunte Culpepper with Moss and without him. He had 39 TD's and without Moss he has pretty much sucked. Is Brady's TD record more because of Randy Moss than him being a good QB?

Should quarterback's performances be talked down when they play for solid all-around teams?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 02:05 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Yes, there is some validity to saying Brady has benefited from his teammates/ownership and his ability is probably over-stated. However the reason why Favre is such a hot button topic now is because he is playing across the stateline from his former team and we have to watch Rodgers take a beating week in and week out. Your point is an interesting one though, at what point can we credit the QB and not the system/players around him?

Old 11-03-2009, 04:31 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Brady did pretty well before Moss didn't he? The surrounding cast definitely helps make a good QB great, see Aikman.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
So I see a lot of people saying any average quarterback could put up good numbers and have the Vikings where they are right now, and it really doesn't have much to do with Favre other than he is average or slightly better.

So do those people feel the same way about Tom Brady? Just look at Matt Cassel last year and Matt Cassel this year. Look at Daunte Culpepper with Moss and without him. He had 39 TD's and without Moss he has pretty much sucked. Is Brady's TD record more because of Randy Moss than him being a good QB?

Should quarterback's performances be talked down when they play for solid all-around teams?

Well we had "average" qb for a long time and well nothing!!! So I don't know it's probably a little of both. Favre is a good, solid QB and right now he has a decent team with Harvin, Peterson, Allen etc.... so it's all kinda working right now. Without Favre and with TJ and Sage we'd be maybe 4-8. I am happy Favre is with the Vikings...makes for a great year of footballto watch....

Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
Well we had "average" qb for a long time and well nothing!!! So I don't know it's probably a little of both. Favre is a good, solid QB and right now he has a decent team with Harvin, Peterson, Allen etc.... so it's all kinda working right now. Without Favre and with TJ and Sage we'd be maybe 4-8. I am happy Favre is with the Vikings...makes for a great year of footballto watch....

With TJ and Sage you would be 4-8 right now rather than 7-1?
You weren't really a Vikes fan before this season were you 10k...

Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Brady did pretty well before Moss didn't he? The surrounding cast definitely helps make a good QB great, see Aikman.
He never threw for more than 28 TD's until Moss showed up. Then he threw for 50. He also had his best season yardage wise when Moss came aboard. Pretty much his stats skyrocketed when Moss came aboard.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

Jim Haugbaugh with Bears.....then traded to Indy just before they got P. Manning. Went from running for his life to having a killer line, pro-bowl TE etc. and shockingly I think he finished #1 or #2 in passer rating that year.

Heck, look at all the players with the Chiefs when they had that pro-bowl\HOF line and a bunch of other good players (including HOF tightend). They would have a RB get hurt, bring in his backup and the guy would tear things up. (The local knuckleheads would exclaim, "Wow I didn't know our backup RB's were so good. )

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
He never threw for more than 28 TD's until Moss showed up. Then he threw for 50. He also had his best season yardage wise when Moss came aboard. Pretty much his stats skyrocketed when Moss came aboard.
Moss definitely helped, but they may have also gone towards a passing-heavy offense which would boost TD's etc. Hard to isolate the impact of Moss without looking at something like TD per passes thrown, yards per pass etc. Also, passing games don't grind clock so you get more drives etc.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:05 AM

664 posts, read 1,946,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
With TJ and Sage you would be 4-8 right now rather than 7-1?
You weren't really a Vikes fan before this season were you 10k...
I meant we'd probably only be 4-4 if we only had TJ, Sage and Booty as QB, compared to Favre this season. Sorry if I offended you with my brainfart on the simple math. I know we are going into week9, I was just stating my opinion that I do think Favre is making a difference this year even though he has a great team because like I said I think we'd be lucky to be 4-4 right now if we had to use TJ/Sage as our QBs.....

Old 11-04-2009, 03:07 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
I meant we'd probably only be 4-4 if we only had TJ, Sage and Booty as QB, compared to Favre this season. Sorry if I offended you with my brainfart on the simple math. I know we are going into week9, I was just stating my opinion that I do think Favre is making a difference this year even though he has a great team because like I said I think we'd be lucky to be 4-4 right now if we had to use TJ/Sage as our QBs.....

I follow ya man, just kiddin' around. And yes, Favre has made the Vikings a better team. Anyone that knows anything about the game can see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football