Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 10:57 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Navman N40i GPS

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

This was given to all of the sales and management staff of the company I work for as most of us do have to travel around at least some of the time. Previously, only a few were given to the staff that used it the most and the quality of this one is so much better.

I think it might be because the one I previously used was quite old and not in the same price range as this one, but I think that this is the type of product that paying that little bit extra really makes a difference in the quality of the product. When making a wrong turn, the time it takes to calculate the new route to get back in track is very fast, a lot faster than the previous one I used. This sometimes means that I have time to take a turn that otherwise could take me a long time to get around.

Even more importantly is that I have never been taken the wrong way. This happened from time to time before with my old GPS and was very irritating especially when driving through small streets in the middle of the city and trying to find your way back when the GPS thinks it's going the right way. This hasn't happened yet and I have been told by a Sales Rep from our company that it works perfectly when he is travelling out of metro areas as well.

Everyone will love the photo feature. I love having photos of places to set the destination rather then just the standard key input of addresses.

I haven't had a problem with glare either and that is necessary.

Because all the upgrading and maintenance is taken care of through my job, this doesn't affect me. But, the cost of maintenance isn't cheap and to keep it all up to date is in excess of $100 per year, I'm not sure of the exact amount. What's more, is that because it's reliability actually relies on it being current and updated, this is a cost that an owner of this product has no choice in paying if they want it to work. I don't think a cost that high for a service that the product is meant to provide is very justified.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 26, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews