Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Garmin Nuvi 255W Widescreen 4.3" Portable GPS

garmin-nuvi-255w-widescreen-43-portable-gps photo
Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

Garmin's nüvi 255W is a perfect kind of GPS for people like me, who want to be able to plug it to the windshield and find the way to the babysitter's house, but also to stick it to the backpack and not get lost on a mountain trail.
The best part of this device is the Garmin's interface: big wide 4.3-inch (diagonal) screen, with great colors and resolution, very easy to use. Far cry from my first Garmin handheld GPS, which had a tiny black and white screen. The controls are simple, and sub-screens make it easy to search for destinations and get information about your trip. The nüvi takes you to your destination with turn-by-turn voice directions, which take some time to get used to. The maps are 2-D or 3-D and they updates as you go.
The device has built in complete maps for North America. I love the slim design and small size - it fits comfortably in my purse, and it is lightweight, what matters when you are packing your backpack for the hike. The rechargeable lithium-ion battery lasts for four hours, enough for an average trip or a hike.
Nuvi has a number of neat new tools, like a JPEG picture viewer, calculator, travel clock with time zones, currency converter, measurement converter, and much more. Digital Elevation Model (DEM) Basemap shows 3D shaded terrain features, very important for hiking. I also love the "screen lock" feature, which locks the screen you want to preserve with a slide of a power button. It also preserves the power. HotFix (Long Term Ephemeris Prediction)is also new - it allows the GPS to find satellites faster. Faster 333 Mhz processor ensures faster map drawing and the icon motion through turns . Memory Card Slots allow you to add maps and travel guides from the computer or internet, or store photos.

I paid for my nuvi $299, because I wanted the new one, but I saw that the refurbished ones are much cheaper on Amazon. I believe that what you pay is what you get.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews