Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:00 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times

Advertisements

OP - you sound severely depressed. Its going to sound like I am kidding, but I am serious - double your meds. See your physician immediately to have your meds reevaluated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
OP - you sound severely depressed. Its going to sound like I am kidding, but I am serious - double your meds. See your physician immediately to have your meds reevaluated.
I am actually going to ask her through email if I could double up.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:24 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I prefer Louise Hay more than anything. Life is pretty miserable. Almost everybody I've known has been lousy or worthless to me. As of now I'm happy with the culture I live in but there are still too many flaws and power imbalances in our society and within the culture for me to be completely happy.

Try Louise Hay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8mNUiweeQY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I am so unhappy with my life and living off savings on top of it. I have nothing that makes me happy when I wake up in the morning, and nothing to look forward to when I go to sleep. I am just glad I don't have kids or a spouse who would have to see me like this.

I moved to a new city for a job that ended up being a position I should have not even been offered due to my experience not being right for the position. I ended up getting new jobs, but they are very on call. I volunteer 2x a week doing something I like, but it's not enough.

I have no friends here, or family. I go to Meetup events and talk to people, but never get friends from this. I go to synagogue events and they are just things that allow me to kill the time.

I regularly apply for full time jobs that I am qualified for. I also work out regularly and completely changed my diet and eat right.

I am just so miserable right now. I am on medication, seeing a therapist, call up my parents and old friends, and try to realize things are "learning experiences", and try to listen to all those other cliches, but I still feel this way.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 AM

Psychiatric medication can have very undesirable effects. So proceed with caution.

Quote:
I am actually going to ask her through email if I could double up.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:29 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
I spoke to my landlord about getting out of my lease. The only way out is if I pay the remaining 6 months. I was told if I can find someone to take over my lease, there won't be any fees to pay. I have advertised it already. No one is interested and realistically, probably won't be. We already have 2 other vacancies that have been available for 2 months or so now..... I have 2 on call jobs here in San Diego so I am making a little bit of money to have something to do to pay part of the bills.

I think I may just drive up home every weekend or so. I just spoke to my parents today and there is stress to look forward to when I get back. The roof caved in so my parents got that fixed and fixed the walls are something at the house. They told me all my belongings are in bags. I don't think people realize how much crap I will have in bags including all the stuff I kept under my bed.

I just feel like a total loser. I just want to move back with my parents and live somewhere that will always be familiar to me.
A loser for having life experience? Hardly.

Sounds like you have no attachments, so what I would do is pick something and some place you would like to go and go do it.

I remember the first day in my 20's when I was far away from anything and anyone I knew. I had quite the time driving across the country, then on the day I got there, had to start training for my new job along with doing everything from physicals to drivers licences and then moving into a place with roommates I did not know. I remember sitting at Burger King, eating a burger and I had a $1000 bucks to my name, a car filled with just about everything I owned and feeling depressed and lonely. To top it all off, in 3 days I came down with the flu and got my training delayed for 2 weeks.

That was a rough time, but I stuck it through and thinking back to how I felt that day sitting there at BK, it was really the start of my own life. Without having gone there I would have never met the amazing friends and lovers I did, never had the experiences I did that helped me get the career I always wanted and even due to me moving there, as it all unraveled over the years, my sister married the person she did and recently had a child and her friend married someone out there as well.

Basically the one action I took created a whole chain of events in my life and other peoples lives.

So rather than just putting up the quitter sign, think about what would make you happy and then figure out a way to go do it. Take the opportunity now, because some day you will be older and maybe tied up with responsibilities. You probably have a lot more going for yourself than you can realize.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 AM

It is not babyish to need the support of your family. The job market is in hell right now. The economy is bad. Our government is enjoying their time in the sun while everything is going straight to hell. So welcome any support you can get with open arms.

I've also found that I do not have chemistry with a lot of people. It isn't rare. I think it is common for people to not be too connected.

Quote:
I definitely need help with getting used to any change that I have in my life. Change and being faced with decisions have always been some of the biggest issues I have had in my life.

I answered your post prior on moving, but forgot to quote you. I basically can't get out of my lease for 6 months unless I just throw out $$$. I also do have some on call jobs here.

As soon as my lease is up, my plan is to return back home with my parents. I feel so babyish that I am 26 and realized I need the support of my parents at home, and to be in a very familiar area. However, if I could get a job that is truly in my field that I am competent at, and a good fit for, I would do it. I most likely could get that job in Vegas (not really a city I want, but if I am working for good people and doing what I love, it would be worth it imo), or take a job that is my field that I don't really like, but it would be in the same city of my parents. I will worry about that later anyway....

On meeting people, the joke is, I am actually being more sociable and "doing things", than I have done prior to when I moved here. I have 2 events I am going to in the next couple of weeks, and plan to find other stuff to do to meet people. The thing I am discovering (and I hope this doesn't come off as egotistical or cold) though is that I just don't meet people that I click with. I go to so many social type of things and the only person I really keep in touch with is a girl I met a year ago at a wine tasting. The rest of the people, it's really just small talk... I have gone out with some people here, but I think we find that there is no friend chemistry

Old 01-27-2011, 12:31 AM

You can't encourage her to do as she pleases in this terrible economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
A loser for having life experience? Hardly.

Sounds like you have no attachments, so what I would do is pick something and some place you would like to go and go do it.

I remember the first day in my 20's when I was far away from anything and anyone I knew. I had quite the time driving across the country, then on the day I got there, had to start training for my new job along with doing everything from physicals to drivers licences and then moving into a place with roommates I did not know. I remember sitting at Burger King, eating a burger and I had a $1000 bucks to my name, a car filled with just about everything I owned and feeling depressed and lonely. To top it all off, in 3 days I came down with the flu and got my training delayed for 2 weeks.

That was a rough time, but I stuck it through and thinking back to how I felt that day sitting there at BK, it was really the start of my own life. Without having gone there I would have never met the amazing friends and lovers I did, never had the experiences I did that helped me get the career I always wanted and even due to me moving there, as it all unraveled over the years, my sister married the person she did and recently had a child and her friend married someone out there as well.

Basically the one action I took created a whole chain of events in my life and other peoples lives.

So rather than just putting up the quitter sign, think about what would make you happy and then figure out a way to go do it. Take the opportunity now, because some day you will be older and maybe tied up with responsibilities. You probably have a lot more going for yourself than you can realize.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It is not babyish to need the support of your family. The job market is in hell right now. The economy is bad. Our government is enjoying their time in the sun while everything is going straight to hell. So welcome any support you can get with open arms.

I've also found that I do not have chemistry with a lot of people. It isn't rare. I think it is common for people to not be too connected.
From what I have read, the happiest societies and longest lived are those that emphasize strong family connections, so I don't think there is anything wrong with being close to family.

In regards to her going somewhere else, of course her lease is up at some point, so may as well start planning now. Even with a bad economy there are always possibilities out there.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Has this depression come about since the move? Since the new job? if so things will get better as you become more acclimatised to the new situation.If not maybe a move closer to family and friends is the way to go.
The meds have me worried what are they and what are they for? taking meds for depression is a double edged sword as they'll work for a while but then you need more and more to stave off the depression.
Maybe you just need a partner in life.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:45 AM

She should go party in San Fransisco or Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
From what I have read, the happiest societies and longest lived are those that emphasize strong family connections, so I don't think there is anything wrong with being close to family.

In regards to her going somewhere else, of course her lease is up at some point, so may as well start planning now. Even with a bad economy there are always possibilities out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology