Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
In cases like this, it's often wise to consider the source(s). Your link takes us to The Ann Coulter Chat Forum. A poster there, has done a copy/paste of a six year old article which first appeared on lifesitenews.com (A Toronto-based evangelical Christian/anti-abortion web site).
I am relieved to hear this. I too tried tracking down but if nobody is able to legitimately source it either, then it is probably no true...and that would be a huge relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
I used to think that 16 was fine till my x wife slept with a 16yr old. AOC is 16 here. Most likely started at 14. x was 38. It is pure hell for my kids.....and even the kid she slept with......for more than a yr.

Obvious what it as done to my kids as they are same age, can't imagine how life is in hs for them being around it all the time.......and yes it keeps come'n up.

But for the kid that slept with her, well at first he was a "stud". my x was/is very attractive and has a great body. Now the boy is being teased, and now his life is hell.

and yes, x is not in jail as aoc is 16 and she "says" it was after his birthday........be it days though.

parents and kid are the one to press charges, as i understand it. so far x is free to do as she pleases. still oblivious of the damage she has done to my kids, the kid she slept with, his family, her family, her friends, my family, and myself.

Sad that even laws don't keep people from doing this type of crap.

Now a 20 yr old and a 17 yr old, whole different ball game, imho. Similar age, etc.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
AOC varies by state.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:17 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,196 times
16 years of age is a fine. Most teens have sex even younger than that. Really no way to prevent it.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayhem666 View Post
The premise of the Age of Consent is when a person at a certain age is considered to be competent enough to consent to sexual acts, which is 16 in most places. This has been criticized as being an arbitrary concept but I think nature says that the average age of consent is indeed just. At 16 puberty usually ends meaning that people are sexually mature but more relevant to the subject is that cognitive abilities are fully matured at 16.

Quotes taken from the Cognitive capacity section of this article:
http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/rel...p-64-7-583.pdf

With I that said do you believe that 16 is the appropriate age to consider someone to be competent enough to consent to sexual acts?
I never really found the "fully matured" argument compelling. What is relevant is, when does a person have the ability to understand the consequences of their actions and use that understanding to control behavior?

I see no reason to think that "full maturity" is necessary, only "adequate maturity". Of course to determine the latter is a thorny matter .

I would start by asking the opposite question: What degree of mental disability or alcohol or drug intoxication renders a person's sexual consent null and void, and how was this determined?

Then I would try to apply the same standard to determine when a young person is capable of giving meaningful sexual consent.

To do otherwise is to have a double standard, and I don't think double standards of that sort benefit anyone.

I would say the age of 13 is probably reasonable, barring unusual cases.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 PM

681 posts, read 618,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
16 years of age is a fine. Most teens have sex even younger than that. Really no way to prevent it.
is a fine? or is fine? and no it's not, again think about if it was your daughter. And yes, if parents are focused and INVOLVED in their child's life then it can be avoided. I know because I have seen it happen

Old 12-22-2012, 04:39 AM

72 posts, read 105,165 times
I like Pennsylvania's corruption of a minor law. While the age of consent is 16 there a legal adult can be charged with corruption if they are helping the minor do something that has been forbidden by the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
is a fine? or is fine? and no it's not, again think about if it was your daughter. And yes, if parents are focused and INVOLVED in their child's life then it can be avoided. I know because I have seen it happen
Why the daughter and not the son? I thought about if it was daughter and...I'm not too bothered by her consenting to sexual acts, depending on the circumstance.

Last edited by DevilMayhem666; 12-22-2012 at 06:07 AM..

Old 12-24-2012, 02:28 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayhem666 View Post
I like Pennsylvania's corruption of a minor law. While the age of consent is 16 there a legal adult can be charged with corruption if they are helping the minor do something that has been forbidden by the parents.

Why the daughter and not the son? I thought about if it was daughter and...I'm not too bothered by her consenting to sexual acts, depending on the circumstance.
That type of law I find tremendously repugnant. It is an attempt to make family values into a law and create the potential for a large number of victimless crimes in the process - lots of parents have unreasonable rules.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 AM

72 posts, read 105,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
That type of law I find tremendously repugnant. It is an attempt to make family values into a law and create the potential for a large number of victimless crimes in the process - lots of parents have unreasonable rules.
Should respect the parent's wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology