Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:04 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I am an active poster on another board that's been around almost as long as the Internet has. The owner has a pretty much no holds barred attitude and other than spam and attention hores (don't know if I'm allowed to use the actual word here), anything goes. There can be really good discussions there, but flame wars can also errupt with no warning in a perfectly innocent thread. I have never seen personal attacks so vicious anywhere else on the web. That board is certainly not for the faint of heart, but it remains one of the most interesting communities on the Net, so I continue to participate in it.

After 9 years on that place, I have the hide of a rhino and a very blunt posting style. I don't get upset if some stranger on the Internet doesn't like what I post. Chances are that I don't like their posts either, so the feeling is mutual. I've also learned to not post about stuff that involves any of my own personal emotional triggers, and I do attempt to respond in a manner appropriate to the forum I'm on.

I guess I wasn't appropriate enough though the other day on the CD politics forum. One of my posts got deleted because someone considered it a personal insult, but 5 other members had already given me rep points for it, so I had the last laugh.
It seems the posts that I get insulted for most also end up bring me the most rep points!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Having been on the Internet for more than a decade and a half and experiencing countless bouts of criticism over almost anything posted, even the most trivial, it's pretty much impossible to take online criticism seriously anymore. All I can think is nobody's there to beat or assault me for and I can post whatever I feel (as long as it's legal) without any real-life consequences.. Maybe I'm turning into an online psychopath..
are you kidding? it has happened a lot I think but I can only remember one time in my whole online experience where I took offense to someone. after having a life like I have, random comments don't matter. the jerks probly thought I was an easy shot since they probly knew of my low self esteem, but I have a very thick skin when it comes to that. in fact if anything every time someone has insulted me, it just boosts my esteem. I either pity or I laugh at them. plus a little drama is good for the soul. I think they think just because I reply and defend myself that somehow means I'm offended. sometimes people who are rude say they don't do it to get a reaction out of you but their post/comment speaks other wise
if I really cared what people think, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be on this board (as one time wasn't so pleasant and I have encountered not so nice posts in passing). hell I probly wouldn't even be on the internet much at all as there are bad apples in a lot of places.

I don't know how you are but you don't seem like a psychopath to me. as long as you're not malicious to those who haven't been/seemed rude to you, there is nothing wrong with posting what you feel.
I do it all the time. I am highly opinionated though so I try to be respectful but I also try not to go overboard with watching what I say because walking on eggshells is stupid and can do the opposite effect (integrity is the key). basically I'm a more outspoken version of myself on the net.

my motto to live by: those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.

Last edited by Nickchick; 01-07-2013 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
I don't think I've ever taken it all that seriously. Most of the time I laugh about it and write a sarcastic reply in response. Yes, they are real people on the other side but it's not like I know them. They have little to zero impact in my world...other than for entertainment purposes.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't think I've ever taken it all that seriously. Most of the time I laugh about it and write a sarcastic reply in response. Yes, they are real people on the other side but it's not like I know them. They have little to zero impact in my world...other than for entertainment purposes.
ah yes sarcasm is my favorite weapon against aholes.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Having been on the Internet for more than a decade and a half and experiencing countless bouts of criticism over almost anything posted, even the most trivial, it's pretty much impossible to take online criticism seriously anymore. All I can think is nobody's there to beat or assault me for and I can post whatever I feel (as long as it's legal) without any real-life consequences.. Maybe I'm turning into an online psychopath..
I started chatting in the early 2000s, mainly on yahoo and hotmail chatrooms. My English by then was a bit basic, so when I attempted any voice chat on the mike in a English speaking room , it was a matter of seconds to get lot of abuse, people making fun of my accent, laffing, name calling,etc. Others were friendly, other were indifferent. Just as in real life. All sorts ofpeople, all orts of reactions. Those chatrooms had no moderators so people knew they could say actually whatever they wanted with no consecuences.

At first it pissed me off, but gradually I didn´t give a hoot, it's just internet.

I don´t go to voice chatrooms anymore, yahoo chatrooms are long gone (I think there were so many paedophiles they had to shut down user's rooms), but maybe some day I'll go back, jut to see how my accent has improved with time.( though I think the average reaction will be the same)

So in short: not a big deal,ignore the negative, enjoy the positive.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 AM

868 posts, read 1,122,238 times
The only thing I don't like in forums is when certain regular posters attack another poster in packs. I think that's cowardly and childish.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM

749 posts, read 1,789,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I laughed out loud at your last sentence! So very true

Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 16,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My first message board was in 1986, a local bbs. Boards have been my favorite part of online activity since then. And back then some of the stuff got very personal. Nobody saw it because mods of the prenet networks like Rime and Fido interseded quickly. One person got very nasty about people I knew and turned out she had moved and it didn't work out and it was everyone else's fault.
1986. I was born in 1986. You're well ahead of me. But I have always had a keen interest in the early days of the internet and computers in general. There are still some people who were not aware that Al Gore did not "invent" the Internet. The World Wide Web (often used interchangeably with Internet but not 100% the same thing) was "invented" by a British man named Tim Berners-Lee at the CERN Labs in Switzerland. Gore is full of organic manure if he thinks he can pass that one off.

Quote:
One thing which will send me away from a board is if personal rants go beyond letting off steam about something general or name calling based on content. Some boards like the free for all and its mostly about that.

You can always tell a newbie and in one fandom a lot of the posters were. The online arguments went personal and it was a mess. I remember posting about how all anyone knows is your words so take care how you say things. If you have some newbies then things get defused or ignored. If you have mostly newbies, then watch out.
I wish it were still the case that all anyone knows is your words. Maybe that was true in the days predating the "social" 'Net where nobody knew you were a dog. But with Facebook and Twitter and the era of "real identities" online, Johnny Poindexter who gets stuffed in his locker in the "real world" of high school gets beat up after school too, and for all the world to see how much of a "loser" he is. The constant bombardment of the 24/7 virtual wedgie is what ends up driving people to mental breakdowns. Probably in the days before Internet and even computers were so ubiquitous in everyday life -- even iPhones are practically like toilets these days -- your BBS conversations didn't really have an impact on your work, school, or relationships. (The Internet has indeed become a series of tubes clogged up with a lot of that same manure. So in that regard, computers are like toilets as well.)

But nowadays, someone posts one rant about Obama -- not even a "racist" one per se, but a legitimate criticism of his policies or their political opinion -- on Facebook and they're practically branded not only a racist but a terrorist and a pariah for life. Maybe it was better when we were all just "handles" over the CB talking trash about Buford T. Justice. Zuckerberg's sister says that Internet privacy is a threat to society. I actually think it's the reverse, since 1) you can't really escape from your "crappy" real self into a forum and 2) anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of public opinion -- and not only that, it'll definitely be traced to "you" and not CaptKirk12345 at AOL.

Quote:
A board where the mods have 'favorites' or are so afraid of an argument that they 'ban' anything provocitive is a non issue for me since I won't be there. The key to a good online experience is the mods and how they behave. I give a plus ten on a scale of ten to the CD mods.

If someone wants to insult me, then I may or not reply, but in the end all they are doing is saying something about themselves.
Once again, you're well ahead of me, and I applaud you for that. I gather you have a healthy "offline" support system in your corner and are not already a pariah or recluse or self-loathing "geek" ostracized from family/friends by family/friends who more than not are of the same immature knee-jerk (emphasis on "jerk") mentality. For many, including Johnny Poindexter in the example above, this is not the case. Online especially, females face further attacks that in some cases can go to the extreme. Rebecca Black the YouTube singer is a classic example. Sure, her song was horrible, but is that any excuse for people to send rape and death threats to her? Justin Bieber is another YouTube celebrity who's often mocked ad infinitum in the media, but nobody sends rape threats to him. It sounds sexist, but unfortunately I find this to be the case.

I am an aspiring performer (female) who's thought of putting up material on YouTube or engaging otherwise in social media sites but have all but given up because I know I could not handle the kind of backlash Rebecca faced at only 13. (Rape threats to a 13-year-old is pedophilia as far as I'm concerned. Surprise no one posted the names and addresses of those kind of idiots on a Google map.) Me, I am 26 but look half that age and could easily pass for someone in Rebecca's homeroom. I am also not a size 2 and know I'd face the kind of attacks U.K. singer Adelle gets, even though I am not as "curvy" as she is (but still, I am not a size 2). The governor of New Jersey is morbidly obese, but his image is in fact glorified in a way as a sort of Tony Soprano type (see for example a recent Time magazine cover) for whom his substantial girth is a source of power, like Don Corleone. Hence the phrase throwing your weight around.

I'm not self-confident enough and don't have much if anything in terms of real-world people support to help boost that confidence. Bieber's friends, in fact, posted the videos of him singing. His friends, of which I have zero, to borrow from a recent South Park episode. And apparently it's not so easy to overcome that gap if problems result -- just look at what happened to the Notre Dame kid. So I would say I'm actually hypersensitive to online criticism, but probably wouldn't be were this 20-30 years ago or had real-world shoulders I could cry on if things got out of hand.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandom404 View Post
1986. I was born in 1986. You're well ahead of me. But I have always had a keen interest in the early days of the internet and computers in general. There are still some people who were not aware that Al Gore did not "invent" the Internet. The World Wide Web (often used interchangeably with Internet but not 100% the same thing) was "invented" by a British man named Tim Berners-Lee at the CERN Labs in Switzerland. Gore is full of organic manure if he thinks he can pass that one off.

I wish it were still the case that all anyone knows is your words. Maybe that was true in the days predating the "social" 'Net where nobody knew you were a dog. But with Facebook and Twitter and the era of "real identities" online, Johnny Poindexter who gets stuffed in his locker in the "real world" of high school gets beat up after school too, and for all the world to see how much of a "loser" he is. The constant bombardment of the 24/7 virtual wedgie is what ends up driving people to mental breakdowns. Probably in the days before Internet and even computers were so ubiquitous in everyday life -- even iPhones are practically like toilets these days -- your BBS conversations didn't really have an impact on your work, school, or relationships. (The Internet has indeed become a series of tubes clogged up with a lot of that same manure. So in that regard, computers are like toilets as well.)

But nowadays, someone posts one rant about Obama -- not even a "racist" one per se, but a legitimate criticism of his policies or their political opinion -- on Facebook and they're practically branded not only a racist but a terrorist and a pariah for life. Maybe it was better when we were all just "handles" over the CB talking trash about Buford T. Justice. Zuckerberg's sister says that Internet privacy is a threat to society. I actually think it's the reverse, since 1) you can't really escape from your "crappy" real self into a forum and 2) anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of public opinion -- and not only that, it'll definitely be traced to "you" and not CaptKirk12345 at AOL.

Once again, you're well ahead of me, and I applaud you for that. I gather you have a healthy "offline" support system in your corner and are not already a pariah or recluse or self-loathing "geek" ostracized from family/friends by family/friends who more than not are of the same immature knee-jerk (emphasis on "jerk") mentality. For many, including Johnny Poindexter in the example above, this is not the case. Online especially, females face further attacks that in some cases can go to the extreme. Rebecca Black the YouTube singer is a classic example. Sure, her song was horrible, but is that any excuse for people to send rape and death threats to her? Justin Bieber is another YouTube celebrity who's often mocked ad infinitum in the media, but nobody sends rape threats to him. It sounds sexist, but unfortunately I find this to be the case.

I am an aspiring performer (female) who's thought of putting up material on YouTube or engaging otherwise in social media sites but have all but given up because I know I could not handle the kind of backlash Rebecca faced at only 13. (Rape threats to a 13-year-old is pedophilia as far as I'm concerned. Surprise no one posted the names and addresses of those kind of idiots on a Google map.) Me, I am 26 but look half that age and could easily pass for someone in Rebecca's homeroom. I am also not a size 2 and know I'd face the kind of attacks U.K. singer Adelle gets, even though I am not as "curvy" as she is (but still, I am not a size 2). The governor of New Jersey is morbidly obese, but his image is in fact glorified in a way as a sort of Tony Soprano type (see for example a recent Time magazine cover) for whom his substantial girth is a source of power, like Don Corleone. Hence the phrase throwing your weight around.

I'm not self-confident enough and don't have much if anything in terms of real-world people support to help boost that confidence. Bieber's friends, in fact, posted the videos of him singing. His friends, of which I have zero, to borrow from a recent South Park episode. And apparently it's not so easy to overcome that gap if problems result -- just look at what happened to the Notre Dame kid. So I would say I'm actually hypersensitive to online criticism, but probably wouldn't be were this 20-30 years ago or had real-world shoulders I could cry on if things got out of hand.
Don't post anything that'll easily give away your real life identity = Problem Solved!

Old 03-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
It really depends on the exact post, topic, and situation for choosing to take it seriously or to ignore.

At least online criticism usually has relatively easygoing anonymity, easy to ignore, and not care about the criticism.

I choose instead to focus on, care, and take seriously the high quality communication interaction that shows appreciation, respect, compliments, and usually similar opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology