Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 04:31 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times

Advertisements

I think self-reliance is an admirable thing, but in the US at least we make too much of self-made men and rugged individualism. The flip side of the concept is that you're not your brother's keeper and you leave everyone else to fend for themselves just because you had to / were able to. Making it alone is not inherently a virtue; sometimes it's just a sad necessity.

So do not neglect learning to trust people who are actually trustworthy, or how to reach out to others or allow them to reach out to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,916 times
Pretty much but it does go deeper. You generally have what I was referring to though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I was raised with "sink or swim." Don't know if that is pretty much the same thing you are talking about? Parents made sure kids had a roof over their heads, healthcare, food to eat, religious training . . . but you turn 18 and good luck, figure it out. The folks I grew up around pretty much all had this attitude. You don't "do things" for your kids - they have to learn on their own. It builds character. Pay your way through school, figure out how to live on your own, join the military, get married, but no more help from mom and dad, even in a crisis. If you can't pull it together, you don't move back home, parents don't give kids money, and parents don't "bail the kids out." And you are forever the black sheep if you embarrass or disappoint the family.

Sink or swim.

Is that the same thing you are referring to?

Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 AM

I generally agree, but I would never willfully use someone to pull myself up by the bootstraps. That goes against my fundamental sense of ethics. I am sure I did not due that willfully. The most that I ever said was please hire me, please hire me now!

If that falls into this category, then you are by definition correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Any person who believes that he has pulled himself up by the bootstraps has actually prospered by taking advantage of people who were unwilling or unaware that they were helping him. But he was still gaining rungs on the ladder by stepping on other people or holding onto their coat-tails or hiding behind their skirts.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:26 AM

Part of the Bingo I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I'm getting better at pulling myself up by my bootstraps. While no man is an island, I do feel that we have to a lot of the work of recovery for ourselves and I'm learning to do that in certain areas of my life.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:27 AM

Right on. Sad necessity is it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think self-reliance is an admirable thing, but in the US at least we make too much of self-made men and rugged individualism. The flip side of the concept is that you're not your brother's keeper and you leave everyone else to fend for themselves just because you had to / were able to. Making it alone is not inherently a virtue; sometimes it's just a sad necessity.

So do not neglect learning to trust people who are actually trustworthy, or how to reach out to others or allow them to reach out to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology