Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 12:56 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times

Advertisements

In a previous thread somebody stated that loners are discriminated against. I was wondering if anybody has examples of this occurring and with a fair amount of detail would describe what exactly occurred?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 11:54 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
We have a long thread on this, with lots of examples.

Does society dislike and/or discriminate against introverts?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
I'll bite. I am because as I have gotten older, mid 40's I am less of an extrovert, and that hurts me in outside sales. I am good at my job, but not interested in happy hour and gaming parties after work. I actually got crap from my boss for not wanting to go to happy hour for a team building event. I don't drink but a handful of times per year, and am not interested in hanging out and binge drinking after working and then driving home drunk. Great idea, for a job which requires a clean driving record.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
I'm a loner, albeit not a recluse. I do get out and meet up with various people; however my 'circle of friends' is just a few gals. I have always preferred to be in a small group setting vs. large group settings.

When I was working, it was a very strange situation because when I interviewed for a position (it was to transfer to a different dept within the company), the hiring manager asked if I were friendly with other secretaries (did I go to lunch with them, or meet up with them after work). When I replied that I did not, she was glad to hear it and said my position would involve handling highly confidential material and she preferred to hire someone who pretty much kept to themselves.

Now, here's is the kicker: she did hire me, but after a few years she began to berate me for not being more social and for not being a joiner! Talk about a no-win situation! I reminded her of our conversation during the interview and she just gave me the deer-in-the-headlight.

Now that I'm retired (THANKFULLY!!), I can truly be myself!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:21 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
Yes. People who have never been in relationships, never had sex, don't have friends, etc. are often discriminated against by people who wonder what's wrong with them. Also every time I hear about another mass murderer, the media goes out of the way to highlight their social problems and make genuinely introverted, shy, or loners all look bad. Websites like Facebook don't help either with their friending, unfriending, friend-count, invitations, games geared toward those with a lot of friends, etc.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,976,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Yes. People who have never been in relationships, never had sex, don't have friends, etc. are often discriminated against by people who wonder what's wrong with them. Also every time I hear about another mass murderer, the media goes out of the way to highlight their social problems and make genuinely introverted, shy, or loners all look bad. Websites like Facebook don't help either with their friending, unfriending, friend-count, invitations, games geared toward those with a lot of friends, etc.
I hate this! Especially being a guy. I think in overall society the attitude toward genuinely introverted, shy, and loner-type people must be having a very negative effect. It sucks to be shy or whatever, but then you could have people thinking you're some creep or like one of the lunatics who do the mass murders...just because you're shy, nervous, seem aloof, or whatever. I feel sorry for shy people, especially guys, on college campuses, especially if they have a nervous disposition.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:13 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,847 times
As a loner, I'm the one discriminating against society. I think it's mostly dysfunctional and I won't stand for it. Society would like to get with me but it's not good enough for this person. Society wishes it could be as intellectually perceptive and content as me but it just refuses to listen. So I'm not surprised society is a very unhappy place for people in proportion to their participation in it.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 05-27-2013 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology