Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 02:47 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,077,919 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with me. My BF is heavily planning for his retirement (early if possible). It made me think of my own retirement.

Here's the strange thing though. When I think of retirement (past the age of 55), it's almost like I know I won't be around (aka dead). I'm 38 if it matters. It's the weirdest thing. I can imagine what I'd like to do when I'm retired, but I just don't see me making it past 60. Am I foreseeing my own death?

Do you suppose I'm just one of those people that don't like to think about the far future and live in the present (and not in a good way)? Or do you think there's a chance it may come true...that I won't make it to retirement age anyways? The more I try to really see myself retiring and even making sure I have the money for it, the more I see a blank area. Seriously, it's blank. Weird, I know. Even when I look at my retirement funds, I think, "I need to make sure my beneficiary gets this".

Okay, maybe this isn't normal. But does anyone else feel this way? Maybe this should be under mental health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,075,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with me. My BF is heavily planning for his retirement (early if possible). It made me think of my own retirement.

Here's the strange thing though. When I think of retirement (past the age of 55), it's almost like I know I won't be around (aka dead). I'm 38 if it matters. It's the weirdest thing. I can imagine what I'd like to do when I'm retired, but I just don't see me making it past 60. Am I foreseeing my own death?

Do you suppose I'm just one of those people that don't like to think about the far future and live in the present (and not in a good way)? Or do you think there's a chance it may come true...that I won't make it to retirement age anyways? The more I try to really see myself retiring and even making sure I have the money for it, the more I see a blank area. Seriously, it's blank. Weird, I know. Even when I look at my retirement funds, I think, "I need to make sure my beneficiary gets this".

Okay, maybe this isn't normal. But does anyone else feel this way? Maybe this should be under mental health.
I wouldn't say you're abnormal in your thinking; it's mainly because you are 38 and 55 is far enough down the road that it seems you'd be "old" at that point. It's all relative.

My granddaughter who is 10; told me recently that to her, being 21 is when she'll be old.

Now that I'm in my late 60s, I suppose that being 95 is getting old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology