Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 04:43 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Yep, every freaking day!!! I miss being in high school, palling around with my group of friends, and not really caring about anything too important. I had to worry about tests and the occasional bully, but that's about it. I also miss spending 3 months just shooting the s*** every year for summer.

Now I have to deal with bills, spend the majority of my waking hours dealing with two-faced and petty co-workers and bosses, constant job pressure, constantly worrying about losing money I have accumulated to a stock market crash or some other event, and constantly worrying about losing my job. The carrot dangling in front of my eyes is retirement, which may or may not come depending upon what happens between now and then.

When I was in high school, I couldn't wait to growing up and entering the "real world." After being on my own for a decade, I realize the "real world" sucks.
agreeance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:06 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I would, however, love to have my 20 year old body back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I loved my 40's, but if I could have the knowledge of my 50's and the body of my 20's I'd truly be dangerous.

I'm with Annie53 & animalcrazy. There's that saying "I'm too old to be young but then too young to be old." I'm still that 20+ young at heart girl inside but the biology of aging isn't allowing me to do
what that young girl dreamt of or was able to do when she was young.
However, I also agree with R.Crusoe's post that I wouldn't trade my wisdom back to that of a youngster.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times
No way, I have no desire at all to go back to high school years again. I'm having the time of my life right now. Still love what I do for a living (even after 26 years), enjoying my hobbies like travelling and going to see live music. AND, finally in a relationship that I can see lasting for quite a while. And to top it off, although I'm 48 physically I still feel like I'm in my twenties. I credit that to lots of exercise and eating right.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know, I can relate to this - I AM more careful (and more concerned) about hurting myself because we just don't bounce back like we used to. But so far so good. I do notice that it's harder for me to bounce back up if I stoop down to get into a cabinet or something. I also notice that my ankles aren't as stable as they used to be so I am more prone to twisting them - but other than that I guess I am really lucky. No arthritis, no bad back or bad knees or carpal tunnel or weird shoulder pains like so many of my friends. I feel GREAT in fact.

Now - the 20./20 vision thing is an issue, but then I realize that many people NEVER enjoy that, not even in their childhood! I didn't have to wear glasses till I was well into my forties, and I can wear contacts so...no biggie.

I don't have wrinkles on my face - which is great, but believe it or not the question I'm having to field now is people asking "where I had my work done." I haven't had any work done! So now, weirdly, I am beginning to feel self conscious about people THINKING I've had plastic surgery when I've had none!

However, that could change, because though my face is completely unlined, my chin hasn't fared as well. I don't like the loose skin under my chin, and I may actually have that tucked up a bit within the next few years. And NO GUILT.

One thing I've noticed is that it takes a lot more work now to keep my skin tight and moisturized. Yes, it takes effort and money, but I'm investing in it. I get facials a couple of times a year. I have a steamer thingie and I use that about once a week. I clean my face and use a serum. I use a heavy duty mask thing about twice a month (a big herbal infusion). I keep my face and neck moisturized. I've been doing this now for probably ten years - since I went through menopause. Apparently it's working!

I also dye my hair - to it's natural dark brown color. If I didn't, I would be pure white on top and this ugly salt and pepper look on the sides. BLECH. Not ready for that yet!

I have already busted one achilles tendon (surgery fixed it perfectly and I actually like the scar - I like to think it adds interest). But now my other one is messing with me, and I really didn't want to have matching scars on the back of both ankles. Damn! Oh well, the surgery is very effective so if I have to do it, so be it. FORWARD, MARCH!

Time stops for no one. One day my body will fall apart and I guess I better get used to that idea. One silver lining though - I had my DNA evaluated and apparently I have a gene that predisposes people to living past 100 years of age! I would be actually distressed about that if I believed I would spend two decades in pain and in decrepit shape, but I have many relatives who have lived well into their 90s and past 100 and without exception, their minds were sharp and they were getting around well. Eventually their hearts just gave out on them. I'm OK with that scenario!
Oh, bless your heart.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPaladin View Post
Do you ever miss being your younger self, now that you are older?
Yes and no.

I know a lot more at age 52. I feel maybe 35 physically, no aches or pains unless I do something stupid and hurt myself like I did last weekend. And I'm a lot less shy around people in general, especially people I'm attracted to. I'm more financially secure now, but I also have more obligations.

However, I had more potential when I was 21. I knew where I wanted to go eventually, but I had 30 more years of life ahead of me. I had time. I also hadn't been hurt as often in relationships, etc., so I may have been more of a dreamer. I still am, of course. But maybe not quite so trusting and open as I once was.

It's a mixed bag.

Of course, if I could transplant my current brain into my 21-year-old body, I would probably do it.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:47 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,634 times
I actually really like being the age I am. I would never want to go back to being 20 again. It just sucked. Now I make my own money, have some freedom and I do not have to deal with family drama.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:38 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I miss my younger self frequently, but do not dwell upon it.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:45 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
My younger self was not a happy person; no self-esteem or self-confidence. Always envying the life other people lived. . . very sad.

Am now content with the person I have become; comfortable with who I am and would never go back.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:16 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I don't miss the person I was then, I didn't know myself as well as I do now.

I often wish I could go back knowing everything I know now, and do a lot of things differently.

They say that youth is wasted on the young, and I often think that this is true. Now I'm trying really hard to shake off the chains I spent my youth getting wrapped up and trapped in. I hope to be free by 40 or so. At least that's not really that old, these days...

Old 04-21-2015, 08:21 AM

733 posts, read 853,576 times
I miss my young knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology