Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:48 AM

25,968 posts, read 22,154,119 times

Advertisements

I can see there has been a play on words, several of them, some how to change the intensity with "adultery" being one of them. The new word seems to be "cheating". Doesn't that make it sound more acceptable to do if it is "cheating" versus committing "adultery"? Isn't cheating like eating a candy bar when you are on a sugar-free diet? Like writing the answers to the test on your palm? But, adultery is different since you break a solemn vow to be faithful to another person. When you commit adultery, you break the trust and you destroy the bond. You risk unplanned pregnancies and STDS, not like eating a candy bar when you are on a sugar-free diet, not like cheating. You can't talk therapy that away because the other spouse knows that you are only an opportunity away from doing it again. I haven't experienced the pain associated with adultery personally but I have watched what it has done to others over the years and it isn't like "cheating", it is clearly Adultery, betrayal at the most intimate level. So, are we cleaning up society using plays on words?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 AM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Cheating is not a new word. It's just the commonly term used in our jargon. No different than people saying "He stole a book from the store" rather than "He committed larceny".

Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,297,872 times
The people who are the keepers of words have no common sense whatsoever. If they did, they would do things like you suggest and it would be baloney instead of bologna!

Old 11-06-2013, 12:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,914,444 times
I think "adultery" fell out of fashion because many people see it as having religious connotations, and there is a lot of distaste for religion out there. They put "adultery" right up there with "fornication" and consider it some old-fashioned term used by old religious people who just need to loosen up.

Did softening the common term to "cheating" actually cause more adultery to happen? Who knows? There's not likely any empirical proof of that. But I think we can see many examples of how when the larger portion of society decides to "soften" something or replace it with a euphemism, it becomes more "acceptable." So maybe it's possible.

I think "betrayal" describes the behavior most accurately, much more than "cheating." And "betrayal" covers both the emotional acts and impact, not just the physical, like "adultery" seems to focus on the physical.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
My wife and I had an agreement -- not really a formal one, just one presumed to exist. You only live once, when you have chances for great adventures take them, and I don't want to know about them if they involve sex. There is no "betrayal" of nobody is breaking the rule.

Good idea. Change the word "adultery" to "adventure".

Old 11-07-2013, 01:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Cheating is not a new word. It's just the commonly term used in our jargon. No different than people saying "He stole a book from the store" rather than "He committed larceny".
I agree..it's just common jargon...it may involve feelings more when it's in a relationship...but some "cheating" can be harmless and some "cheating" can be very hurtful. Like lying..some is vicious and slanderous gossip, and some is simply to protect ones self, or someone else from being hurt.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 AM

652 posts, read 874,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My wife and I had an agreement -- not really a formal one, just one presumed to exist. You only live once, when you have chances for great adventures take them, and I don't want to know about them if they involve sex. There is no "betrayal" of nobody is breaking the rule.

Good idea. Change the word "adultery" to "adventure".
You have a good point. There are verbal agreements, contracts (marriage) and non verbal agreements. The agreement you had with your wife was not a formal or written verbal contract. They call your presumption that a agreement existed, an unrealistic expectation.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,891,045 times
To me, "adultery" has a connotation of breaking the marital bond. Since many more people are in unmarried relationships these days, "cheating" works better.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 PM

20,043 posts, read 13,512,341 times
I see adultery as an archaic term. Since we're talking about violations of the principles of loyalty and devotion, I feel that "cheating" is a bit off base as it suggests that the offense is more about breaking some random rule, or perhaps bending it, rather than a violation of a particularly sacred trust. I therefore prefer "unfaithfulness" for the act. I tend to go with the adjective form: "unfaithful husband" or "unfaithful wife" as far more meaningful and evocative than "adulterer" which sounds clinical, legal, and obtuse in modern usage.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:12 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,326,153 times
Adultery should stay. It doesn't need a new name because it has another name, cheating. The same goes for illegitimate child or bastard child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology