Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:45 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
The article below says that introversion has nothing to do with shyness --- instead, it's all about how you derive your energy. Introverts get energy through solitude and reflection, according the article, and extroverts from social interaction.

Introverts vs.. Extroverts: Learn About Both Personality Types and Which One You Fall Under

But I feel the article does not hit on other key differences between both groups.

I've heard that introverts tend to be more creative, empathetic and studious/intellectual. Is there truth to this?
True, it has nothing to do with shyness. As too whether introverts tend to be more creative, probably, but plotting that spectrum on any sort of controlled research would be to difficult to quantify and measure across the myriad variables that make up an individuals character, and extroverts exhibit all the same traits.

I measure more ambivert (I'm also ambidextrous so does that count for something?) when I take the Myers Brigg for I-E, but in reading this brief article, I definitely have more introvert behaviors. As others alluded to I also can 'act' the part in most any environment to blend in, but I tend to prefer (in group settings) talking to a few people and actually getting to know them, rather, than being like a Political gladhander making the rounds and working the room and being the life of the party. So much of it depends on the environment and the expected social behavior. That's not to say I can be the life of the party if I want to, or if it was required, but it does wear me out (feels like a performance) and my free time I like more quiet repose (classical music playing as I type).

As for 'shyness' I've had jobs which involved dealing with people frequently in a subject matter expert type role, usually with small to larger groups (training), which I thoroughly enjoyed. It is more the getting together without a purpose (sea of humanity type events) that I avoid. Usually at these events I am an observer for human behavior material - ever since I took a commercial workshop class right after college and the instructor suggested the best place to acquire 'acting' skills is watching people, especially at life changing events. So, (cue up Boy George) -I am a Chameleon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:11 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
I was pretty introverted growing up, but mostly due to not caring as opposed to being shy. In certain situations, im extroverted, when i'm "introverted" its because i lack interest to be extroverted...if that makes sense.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:54 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
As for 'shyness' I've had jobs which involved dealing with people frequently in a subject matter expert type role, usually with small to larger groups (training), which I thoroughly enjoyed. It is more the getting together without a purpose (sea of humanity type events) that I avoid. Usually at these events I am an observer for human behavior material - ever since I took a commercial workshop class right after college and the instructor suggested the best place to acquire 'acting' skills is watching people, especially at life changing events. So, (cue up Boy George) -I am a Chameleon
Dang, ciceropolo, are you sure we're not related? That is a PERFECT description of me.

For the past 25 years I've been a (rather successful) Fortune 100-level corporate trainer and process facilitator/consultant. I even developed a name for my unique blend of skills & talents -- Performance Development. Give me a purpose, mission or objective and, even in a massive crowd, I can glad-hand and schmooze with the best of 'em. Folks will think I'm in hog-heaven. (Just be sure to give me occasional moments of solitude to catch my breath, and an opportunity to recover after the event.)

On the other hand, toss me into what I call a "free-form social situation" --- what you describe as 'getting together without a purpose' --- and I'm just a lost ball in high weeds.

My "natural state" on the Myers-Briggs is clearly INFJ. However, because I worked for so many years in T environments (scientists, engineers, programmers), I sometimes come out as INTJ.

On the various interpersonal & social styles instruments I come out, like you said, as a "chameleon". I display a high degree of social/interpersonal versatility. But, and I'm sure this is true for you as well, there is always a personal price to be paid...

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-20-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 09:09 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
i love how most extroverts on the extreme end of the spectrum tend to single-out and put down introverts...assuming we have no backbone. and then im the ******* when i step up and defend myself

a PSA for extroverts...introverted is not synonymous with "doormat". and i will not hesitate to put a foot up someones ass, "shy" or not.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Introverts land Exteroverts probably are not born that way nor have psychological predetermining factors, but develop into that lifestyle based on the relative success of their social experiments.

Just as there is a "difference" in socialization between pretty girls and plain ones. It's just a defensive mechanism to gravitate toward socialization strategies that yield positive results while evading the negative ones.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Introverts land Exteroverts probably are not born that way nor have psychological predetermining factors, but develop into that lifestyle based on the relative success of their social experiments.

Just as there is a "difference" in socialization between pretty girls and plain ones. It's just a defensive mechanism to gravitate toward socialization strategies that yield positive results while evading the negative ones.
I'm not so sure about that. Mom was just like me. We used to sit quietly and listen to raido plays together and not say a word. Nobody needed to. I was so much like my mom that it was utterly devistating to me when she passed so early.

But even as a little kid I was the one in the corner doing my own thing while everyone else ran in circles. In fact, instead of playing with most of them I'd just run. Later, I'd hole up with a book over playing with someone who wasn't a friend. I look back and all the 'shyness' everyone thought wasn't that at all. It was just me wanting to do my own thing. I think Mom knew and let me be myself. I don't remember ever really caring if I was 'popular'.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:42 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I was pretty introverted growing up, but mostly due to not caring as opposed to being shy. In certain situations, im extroverted, when i'm "introverted" its because i lack interest to be extroverted...if that makes sense.
I'm the same way. Faking it isn't easy, that's for sure.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I'm far more introverted than my wife, and my son is far more introverted than I. All 3 of us are introverts. But next to me, my wife looks like an extrovert, and next to my son, I look like an extrovert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology