Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times

Advertisements

Karen - I totally agree. Way to throw a good thread completely off the tracks! Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 05:13 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,342,113 times
My biracial son is such a performer and funny as heck. He makes people laugh and everyone loves him. We lived in Redneckville, MS and he did really well. He is a gifted kiddo. He's very fair with blue eyes but very ethnic features from his AA dad. When he was very young I got some really hateful looks. I knew a white guy who liked me a lot and just gave me a necklace ( a cross LOL ). So I felt compelled to inform him of my son's heritage and he openly expressed horror and never called again. Good ridence, truly, but it's painful. I have a wonderful guy in my life who was raised by racist parents yet he never batted an eye about my son. He's a keeper!

Love the statement "quality trumps quantity"!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:25 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,645,276 times
I am Japanese/Hawaiian/German/Irish. My experience has been positive and my siblings' experiences have been positive as well.

My brothers are 6' and 6'2" tall I myself am 5'7" So we don't really suffer from the short Asian stereotypes. My sister however is only 5 feet tall and she always blamed Asian side of her genes.

My natural hair color is dark brown, but I like to dye my hair jet black. I have always been told that I am gorgeous, and my two brothers have tried modeling in the United States. I have tried modeling in Japan for two years.

My older brother married a white girl who is 5'10" tall. My nephews looks completely well "white" although his eyes are dark brown. My other older brother is a former Force Recon Marine. For those who are familiar with Military, yes, that is something worth bragging about. I have always bragged about my brother. LOL

I am very close to my brothers and they are exceptional human beings. My sister has some emotional problems and is dealing with marital problems. Obviously, she blames her bad luck and her interracial marriage.

Well, growing up, we all enjoyed extreme sports, and all kind of water sports. My brothers and I have always played guitars and one of my brother and I are pretty good artists. We don't play piano like most Asian kids do.

Overall, our experiences have been very positive. My brothers have always been chick magnets. I have pretty good luck with men as well. My sister on the other hand, has always blamed her height for her bad luck in life, Weird I know.

The only racial discrimination we have experiences are from our Asian side of the family believe it or not. They don't really accept us as part of the big family because we are mixed.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 01-14-2014 at 05:43 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 05:34 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post

Least favorite- White + Asian: IMO they always look PURE Asian, not really mixed so it defeats the purpose of being mixed. I think its because Asian eyes are extremely dominant.
Right. Thank you for telling me that we are the least favorite. But you know what though, in order to prove your point, you need to upload a picture of YOU and we'll see if you are the most desirable.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,466,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My biracial son is such a performer and funny as heck. He makes people laugh and everyone loves him. We lived in Redneckville, MS and he did really well. He is a gifted kiddo. He's very fair with blue eyes but very ethnic features from his AA dad. When he was very young I got some really hateful looks. I knew a white guy who liked me a lot and just gave me a necklace ( a cross LOL ). So I felt compelled to inform him of my son's heritage and he openly expressed horror and never called again. Good ridence, truly, but it's painful. I have a wonderful guy in my life who was raised by racist parents yet he never batted an eye about my son. He's a keeper!

Love the statement "quality trumps quantity"!!!
Just an observation and speaking of "redneckville", but it always amazes me that some of the most "diverse" families (part Cherokee, Anglo, Black, Filipino, Pacific Island, Hispanic, whatever) usually seem to be of the "hillbilly" persuasion… which ironically of all cultures, is not especially noted for its, um, "tolerance"?! So how does that work?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Just an observation and speaking of "redneckville", but it always amazes me that some of the most "diverse" families (part Cherokee, Anglo, Black, Filipino, Pacific Island, Hispanic, whatever) usually seem to be of the "hillbilly" persuasion… which ironically of all cultures, is not especially noted for its, um, "tolerance"?! So how does that work?
I have raised my biracial kids in the South, in smaller towns for most of that time. We only had some slight "attitude problems" in one small town - a small town that was known for it's jacked up politics by the way. After a couple of years, because of this negativity, we moved out of that town to another larger town close by and VOILA - no problems whatsoever. My kids were all very popular in their new schools and had no issues dating and eventually marrying whoever they wanted.

I haven't found racism to be a significant issue in our lives and neither have they. One reason may be because we are a military family and three of my four kids are associated with the military (either in the military or married to a military spouse). My youngest son isn't in the military but he lives in Austin. His biracial looks are definitely an asset when it comes to his dating life - LOL!

The military is truly a melting pot and a great environment to raise a multiracial family.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 PM

58 posts, read 110,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have raised my biracial kids in the South, in smaller towns for most of that time. We only had some slight "attitude problems" in one small town - a small town that was known for it's jacked up politics by the way. After a couple of years, because of this negativity, we moved out of that town to another larger town close by and VOILA - no problems whatsoever. My kids were all very popular in their new schools and had no issues dating and eventually marrying whoever they wanted.

I haven't found racism to be a significant issue in our lives and neither have they. One reason may be because we are a military family and three of my four kids are associated with the military (either in the military or married to a military spouse). My youngest son isn't in the military but he lives in Austin. His biracial looks are definitely an asset when it comes to his dating life - LOL!

The military is truly a melting pot and a great environment to raise a multiracial family.
I am black, but I find many biracial guys very alluring; especially the half black/half white ones.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:57 AM

5 posts, read 7,339 times
I am biracial (my mother is white and my father is black). My mother was the oldest of six children where all but the baby of the family married a different race--Mexican, Guamanian, Filipino, and American Indian and most had children giving my maternal grandparents a total of 9 biracial grandbabies that all grew up within 15 miles of each other in the PNW. Our family meals were great!!!! Growing up I never felt like I was different because I was biracial, it was just who I was (although I always wished for hair like my mom, but probably mostly because my mom didn't know how to do my hair or anyone's hair...it really wasn't her thing).

I remember the first time I knew I was biracial was when I learned about slavery in the U.S. in about the second grade. My parents had divorced and my dad had moved back to NC. I remember asking my mom all kinds of questions and having such a difficult time understanding why my mom and grandparents would get to be free and my dad and grandmother would be slaves just because their skin was darker, which led to some discussions about my brother and I and how we were viewed by the world. I had to call my dad every night for like a week to make sure he understood the differences in his and my mom's races and I made him promise that if slavery ever came to be again, he would come back to us so my mom could protect him.

Being biracial didn't come up again for me again until I started spending part of each summer in NC with my dad and his family when I was 12. Things were very different. I was fawned over by some because of my "light" skin, which made me feel different. I was snidely asked by a cousin if I spoke the way I did on purpose (basically sounding "white"). Luckily I was solidly grounded in who I was and couldn't care less what anyone said. I was very outgoing and had the easy ability to make friends and chose to ignore that "cousin." Although the area had many white and black people all over the place down there, they just didn't seem as integrated as I was used to and that was very strange to me. As I aged, I have come to understand more about the dynamics and have also noticed a lot of change in terms of biracial relationships in the area as well.

Now as an adult, I am married to a white man and living in the Mid-Atlantic. We have an adopted biracial daughter (black and white). Again, I don't really notice or feel anything out of the ordinary with our family, but my husband has commented more than once that he feels people treat him differently when he is out and about with her alone--more so than when he used to go out with his nieces (who are white). She is just a toddler, so maybe this will change. My mom has told me that all the way through my high school years people would assume that she adopted me and my brother and actually made comments to her about it, but I'd like to think this won't happen to my husband, but who knows.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,327,255 times

Mariah explains being "Multi-Racial/Bi-Racial" - YouTube

Old 01-28-2014, 05:32 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,838,335 times
I can relate. I don't look like my mom or my brother (different dad), and I remember the questions "were you adopted? Is she your real mother?) and the comments like a neighbor used to call me and my brother "Salt and Pepper". I never thought anything of it, I always thought of us as Sugar and Cinnamon lol, but my mom later told me it used to get on her nerves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology