Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:59 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
My husband says I can be massive aggressive at times.
Now, MASSIVE aggressive and PASSIVE aggressive are two totally different things.

I do find that passive aggressives are far more irritating than just plain aggressive. The worst part is, they know it. And they dig it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:08 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
^ ^ And IMO, the most significant thing about true passive-aggressive folks, is that it's totally "self-contained" and 'controlled' exclusively by them…. from the determination of the "offense", to the choice of "retaliation" and "punishment", to the "reasons" for doing it… with no room for outside opinions or feedback whatever. In other words, at its heart, true passive-aggression is basically narcissistic (aka, "it's all about ME"), and about maintaining 'Control'!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Now, MASSIVE aggressive and PASSIVE aggressive are two totally different things.

I do find that passive aggressives are far more irritating than just plain aggressive. The worst part is, they know it. And they dig it.
LOL yes it is.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:13 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doverly View Post
My husband is passive aggressive...he's a pain in the rear end but I know his game and bust him all the time! lol
Being violent with me is just not allowed...I'll crack him a good one if he does anything like that to me!
And he KNOWS I'll lose my temper if he gets violent....so we just have this understanding between us
Why are the only options in your marriage violence or passive-aggressive behavior? Kinda scary.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

People who employ passive-aggressive tactics lack good will . . . and I say that because if you are a direct person and you are trying to work something out with someone and they resort to passive-aggressive tactics, they are basically telling you to F-off.

I don't think people who use passive-aggression lack good will, but perhaps lack skills or confidence to confront what they want directly. I don't think when I was being passive aggressive, I was thinking anything like your last statement. It was more, "I'm being forced to do or think something that I don't want to, so I will silently oppose you." It is my understanding that being passive aggressive arises from the feeling of a lack of power.

I do agree that passive aggressive people can drive you nuts. Their behavior just becomes a way to push your buttons at some point.

Passive-aggressive behavior is the indirect expression of hostility, such as through procrastination, hostile jokes, stubbornness, resentment, sullenness, or deliberate or repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible.

For research purposes, the DSM-IV describes passive-aggressive personality disorder as a "pervasive pattern of negativistic attitudes and passive resistance to demands for adequate performance in social and occupational situations".

Passive-aggressive behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^ No offense, but doing that kinda sounds like, um, you know…

BTW, different issue, but has anybody noticed that the self-admitted P-A's here never give a straight answer?!!
Excuse me, I have written a couple of pretty straightforward posts about my past passive aggression.

You can discuss something that is a behavioral problem objectively without being snarky, you know?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:12 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,212 times
I tend to be passive aggressive. I've been this way ever since my teen years.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:20 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I see the purpose of passive-aggressive behavior as an attempt to manipulate people. Many times it's outright abusive, but when it's applied to virtually everything in life, it can be incredibly annoying. Here's a typical conversation with my mother:

She can't say, for example, "I was cold last night, could you please put another blanket on my bed." She will simply complain for hours about how cold it was last night. If I ignore the ranting, which I am inclined to do if I think her "issue" is something I can't do anything about (the weather), she will begin to add comments like, "Alice's daughter bought her the most beautiful angora blanket for Christmas." That's when I start to catch on. I say, "Do you want an angora blanket?" Of course she says, "No, I'm just telling you." So I have to cut to the chase, "Why are you mentioning it right after going on about how cold it was last night? Were YOU cold last night?" When she says yes (in a tiny "I am not worthy" voice), I say, "If you want another blanket on your bed, all you have to do is ask for it. But I don't read minds, so I will assume you don't want one unless you state it outright."

It seems to me my mother's variety of passive-aggression (which is constant and applied to circumstances important and very minor) arises from a lack of self-esteem. She doesn't think she's worthy of anything except the scraps that others throw her, but she isn't beneath "inspiring" us to throw the scraps. But other people are P-A just because they think they're portraying themselves as "nicey-nice" when they actually feel guiltless about abusing others. Like a boss who loads you up with work at 4:30, pretending he doesn't know what time it is.

Another P-A tendency I find very annoying is their penchant to do mean, petty things when they can't address that they're upset with you about something you're clueless about. I know, for example, I've done something my mother is angry about when she puts her garbage in the recycling bin. She knows perfectly well what goes in the recycling bin but she will put completely inappropriate things there to get my attention. If I ignore it and just move the stuff, she keeps doing it until I finally confront her and ask her what it is she's upset about (she's not complaining, mind you, I brought it up!). But even then, when I uncover the truth, she will maintain that her putting the garbage in the recycling bin was an "accident." An oversight that stops immediately, once I get to the bottom of what her real problem is. Usually something as inane as she wants the thermostat adjusted.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
I tend to be passive aggressive. I've been this way ever since my teen years.
Well, STOP IT. Yes, you probably do get what you want by behaving that way. But you would get what you want faster (and annoying far fewer people), if you addressed your needs directly with someone in a position to do what it is you want. Why do you think you're not worth stating outright your needs or opinions?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 PM

8 posts, read 25,263 times
Ruth- I said that getting violent with me isn't allowed.... I'll crack him a good one! Where does it say that violence happens all the time in my marriage?
Yes, hubby is passive aggressive and he's working on it.... I just won't put up with any of his crap anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology