Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:50 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,377 times

Advertisements

Several questions on this subject, as basically it's about outlawed now to break a switch off a tree and take your "back talking brat" out behind the tool shed and whip his butt. LOL. Ok, you get the idea.

Did you get spanked as a child and how do you feel about it now as an adult. And if you have children now, or already raised them how do you discipline them?

I got regular butt whippins as a boy growing up. I think I probably deserved most of them and I do not feel it harmed me psychologically in any way. I recall the worst I got was when I told my mom to, "shut her mouth" when she took away my new remote control car for not doing my chores at about age 13. Dad came home and I got it. As he used the switch on me, I recall getting angry and telling him, "it doesn't hurt" as I hopped around the room grabbing my rear and he would give me a few more until I admitted it hurt. LOL.

As a parent now with an adult daughter, I never spanked her. I never felt the need to and really never thought about it. All in all, she was a good girl and never got into any serious trouble. I did ground her from time to time. Plus I'm a big softy for the female species and could not fathom striking my daughter. If I had a boy and he was like me as a boy, I might have felt different.

I remember a time when my best friend and I got into big trouble for skipping school. His dad came home and took off his belt. His mom tried to step and stop dad from whippin him and my friend told his mom, "I screwed up and I deserve it, let him spank me." His mom just stood there with this shocked look.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts of this age of everything is "abuse" and most kids not getting spanked?

Now I agree there is a line people can cross. Beating a child is horrible, but talking to them, telling them why they are getting spanked and then doing it while controlled. Is that all bad? Should it be illegal?

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
How about you parent your children as you see fit, and leave others to do the same.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
How about you parent your children as you see fit, and leave others to do the same.
Well that's a GREAT on topic answer! NOT! Did you read the post? I think not. We could apply your logic to anything and everything in life and nothing would matter then, right?

Good grief!

Old 02-11-2014, 04:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Well that's a GREAT on topic answer! NOT! Did you read the post? I think not. We could apply your logic to anything and everything in life and nothing would matter then, right?

Good grief!
Feel free to do a search for threads on "butt whippins", there are many thousand.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,517 times
Well, I got spanked, paddled and whipped with a willow switch when I was a kid, depending on which adult was the authority of the day. None of it was extreme, and I survived.
I remember, though, watching my cousins get whipped/beaten by their dad a couple of times and he was pretty brutal.
The seemed to survive, but the internal scars show from time to time.

I don't believe a smack, now and again hurt anyone much, but there are plenty of people out there who don't know where to draw the line. I spanked my daughter once, and smacked one of my grandkids once. They turned out just fine, too. So spanking/not spanking is really irrelevant to child raising in my opinion. A good parent can figure out a way to get the point across without being a brute.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Feel free to do a search for threads on "butt whippins", there are many thousand.
Again, you can apply your logic from this post and the other you posted here on this topic to any and all posts and subjects in the universe. If you don't have any input on the subject, then don't post here. Or, just go down the list of every post here and say, "you do what you like and I'll do what I like." And life will be good for you!

Old 02-11-2014, 04:31 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Several questions on this subject, as basically it's about outlawed now to break a switch off a tree and take your "back talking brat" out behind the tool shed and whip his butt. LOL. Ok, you get the idea.

Did you get spanked as a child and how do you feel about it now as an adult. And if you have children now, or already raised them how do you discipline them?

I got regular butt whippins as a boy growing up. I think I probably deserved most of them and I do not feel it harmed me psychologically in any way. I recall the worst I got was when I told my mom to, "shut her mouth" when she took away my new remote control car for not doing my chores at about age 13. Dad came home and I got it. As he used the switch on me, I recall getting angry and telling him, "it doesn't hurt" as I hopped around the room grabbing my rear and he would give me a few more until I admitted it hurt. LOL.

As a parent now with an adult daughter, I never spanked her. I never felt the need to and really never thought about it. All in all, she was a good girl and never got into any serious trouble. I did ground her from time to time. Plus I'm a big softy for the female species and could not fathom striking my daughter. If I had a boy and he was like me as a boy, I might have felt different.

I remember a time when my best friend and I got into big trouble for skipping school. His dad came home and took off his belt. His mom tried to step and stop dad from whippin him and my friend told his mom, "I screwed up and I deserve it, let him spank me." His mom just stood there with this shocked look.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts of this age of everything is "abuse" and most kids not getting spanked?

Now I agree there is a line people can cross. Beating a child is horrible, but talking to them, telling them why they are getting spanked and then doing it while controlled. Is that all bad? Should it be illegal?

Your thoughts?
If you have to resort to hitting a child, you aren't parenting...you are simply beating a child to get your way.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
How do I feel about it? I feel I should never have played with matches in the garage.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:57 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,492 times
I got hit upside the head once, never spanked, and I didn't deserve it. I have spanked ONCE in my life, and that was when my son (3) ran into the road - yes, it is my fault he ran into the road, but I was scared and that's what I did. I don't "regret" it, but I wouldn't rationally do it again. I don't feel the need to spank, I think there are other ways. I don't see why I tell my boys not to hit each other, and then hit them? No hitting - nobody. I have friends who spank, that's their choice and I don't care.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
I got arse whoopings.

I don't think they are the horror stories these nancies are complaining about.

That being said, I could not bring myself to hit my kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology