Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:26 PM

155 posts, read 189,373 times

Advertisements

So I faced one of THE GREATEST FEARS last night. I'm proud of myself but at the same time, a NERVOUS WRECK! I actually came to the house I was in during the home invasion, and slept in the bed I hid under. I'm not really sure slept would be the correct description. My SO has been with me every step of the way, and has been very supportive. It's very different without the dog here. The thought keeps passing through my mind that if something were to happen again, I'd have no warning this time.

I feel like I'm planning for the next episode. Just waiting for the window to shatter again. I can't get the image of the bright red shoes from my mind, or the glass shattering from my ears. I'm thinking way too much way too soon.

It really does anger me, not being able to sit comfortably in my own home, or rest comfortably in my own bed. I just freaking bought that bed before the invasion, spent over $1000 on it, now I can't even stand to look at it.

At least I'm alive, and I can thank my lucky stars for that. And I'm grateful I made it through the night without freaking out. Now its time to go back to the country, this girl has had enough for today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 02:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Aunt 936 View Post
My children are 5 & 7, and I'm not about to put the fear that I'm experiencing onto them, which would in turn give them psychological issues in the long run. They are just babies.
While your attitude is admirable, you need to understand that you are not doing as good of a job as you think you are of hiding your anxiety and PTSD from your children, even at their young ages.

Trust me on this - the only way to protect them from your psychological issues in the long run is to be healed of them.

Please see a professional!

Old 03-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
While your attitude is admirable, you need to understand that you are not doing as good of a job as you think you are of hiding your anxiety and PTSD from your children, even at their young ages.

Trust me on this - the only way to protect them from your psychological issues in the long run is to be healed of them.

Please see a professional!
I am in therapy, thank you for the advice.

Also someone had sent me a DM telling me that to track my progress by daily threading is not a good idea, thanks for the advice. I am new to CD and haven't figured put the blogging part out yet. Also, I don't want anyone to think I'm using this forum as therapy sessions, that is not what I'm doing.

I'm getting others advice, and hearing from others that suffer through the same thing I'm going through but with different circumstances. If you feel I'm seeking free therapy, please don't post to my thread, you can go submit your thoughts to the thread "Do you think your sexy?", since my thread of an actual problem that affect so many offends you so much.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
I am in therapy, thank you for the advice.

Awesome! I must have missed where you'd said so before.

Please speak to your therapist about recommending someone who does EMDR, I promise you, it can be one of the best and quickest ways to deal with PTSD

Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
My children are 5 & 7, and I'm not about to put the fear that I'm experiencing onto them, which would in turn give them psychological issues in the long run. They are just babies.
Unfortunately, based on the thread about your son in the Parenting forum, it seems that you have transferred your anxiety to them.

I think you should look into family therapy ASAP.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Quote:
So I faced one of THE GREATEST FEARS last night. I'm proud of myself but at the same time, a NERVOUS WRECK! I actually came to the house I was in during the home invasion, and slept in the bed I hid under...
Well they say if you fall off a horse, get back on right away!

So good for you!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Well they say if you fall off a horse, get back on right away!

So good for you!
Never thought of it that way, great observation! I will definitely look into that. Thanks

Old 03-09-2014, 09:55 PM

That post was meant for Wmsn4Life, sorry.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:18 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I have heard good and bad on EMDR, I have read some say it's almost as painful as the PTSD itself.
I haven't heard that there's a downside. Do you have more info about that case/those cases?

There's another technique that some of the EMDR practitioners like, which is called Somatic Experiencing. A friend of mine tried that, and it really helped. She only needed 3 sessions.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I believe the complaints apply to both EMDR and SE. When I looked into EMDR and read some feedback some said both almost have you relive the PTSD, traumatic to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology