Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 08:38 AM

790 posts, read 1,275,312 times

Advertisements

Soon Obama is going to let guys bang your wife for the "greater good" of society...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:43 AM

24,799 posts, read 17,542,482 times
Is more of society heading down this same road as this nut case? Just because he didn't get what he wanted he blamed everyone else? Was he molly coddled as a kid? Did his parents give him everything he wanted when he was kid?
I saw is rant on the news and thought he wasn't a bad looking guy so his not being able to get some "action" from a woman was his own fault. In todays world young women will approach decent looking guys and start a conversation which can lead to dating fun but I have feeling that this guy was such a nut that he scared off any girls that were attracted to him as soon as he opened his mouth.

I feel badly for the parents who tried to stop this rampage but were late and I feel worse for the poor victims. The answer is not more gun control but quicker action when someone slips into an angry depression and seeks to harm themselves and worse, others.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:46 AM

206 posts, read 405,560 times
Donald Sterling is a billionaire. It's amazing how quickly someone becomes better looking when their wallet is fat.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Saltbox View Post
Donald Sterling is a billionaire. It's amazing how quickly someone becomes better looking when their wallet is fat.
This is a BS argument, I know plenty of guys that dont have billions that do just fine with women and the guy that went crazy had a BMW to boot. Dude was physco thats why he couldnt get women not because of any monetary reason.

When are these idiots going to start becoming responsible for their own actions. You don't always get what you want in life you FA neckbeards.

EDIT: Unfortunately, we may see more of this from a generation that bases their self worth on internet "likes" and "followers".

Old 05-26-2014, 08:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,876,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I highly doubt he had no women interested tho. More than likely it was one of 2 things

1.) he was too dumb to realize it
2.) they didn't count because it wasn't the hot blonde he felt he deserved

It's kinda like those chicks who always say "no guys approach me" when she's really saying no guys who I think are on my level approach me
Bull****, man. I've given the few guys that have ever asked me out a chance and they turned out to be dickheads. Most of them didn't waste any time in showing their true colors either.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Bull****, man. I've given the few guys that have ever asked me out a chance and they turned out to be dickheads. Most of them didn't waste any time in showing their true colors either.
He doesn't understand why he keeps being rejected, so he kills people. A sense of entitlement with an inability to move on with his life.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:05 AM

89,035 posts, read 85,623,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's when they pull out the "well, I can't be with a woman I'm not attracted to," as if there's only one type of woman who could possibly be attractive.
Yes, and she generally can be found in the center pages of particular magazines.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:12 AM

18,247 posts, read 22,610,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
C'mon! If you read his writings of himself as a teen or older, he had genuine sexual interest in women. I think I've had enough of the deflections re women having any culpability in this and, by extension, bad (less psychotic) outcomes for other lonely men.
What he wrote and what his REAL actions/interactions were are two entirely different things. His neighbor (young college guy) was interviewed yesterday on CNN and the guy stated that he and his friends would invite Elliot to parties/gatherings/to hang out and he wouldn't interact socially. When people tried to engage him in conversations he would give one word or very short answers. He would spend most of his time at gatherings just staring or glaring at people. The guy also stated that Elliot had a very "dead look" in his eyes that was off-putting.

Stop trying to blame other people for the social ineptitude of this guy. He was lonely because he chose to be lonely (by not getting the proper psychiatric intervention). I read his "manifesto" and he exhibited extreme jealousy from a very early age that escalated into him assaulting strangers for being coupled up/good looking/happy. What was also evident from his writings was that he had an absentee father and a weak-minded mother who indulged and coddled him instead if getting him the help that he needed.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I ended up marrying an alcoholic too. I didn't recognize it at the time. He was fun to be around and he noticed me. The fact he WANTED to marry me was intoxicating after a long string of either not being noticed at all or being dumped for someone prettier. In time I came to realize that he liked his alcohol a bit too much. We're still together but it's for practical reasons. A marriage of convenience. I guess it's better than being alone. He's like an old worn out pair of jeans I should throw out but just can't bring myself to throw out. I'm not ready to be alone and I know I will be. If I was invisible at 25, I'm non existent at 55.

I had one boyfriend in high school. He dumped me for a pretty brunette who faked a pregnancy to get him to marry her. I had three boyfriends after high school. Two of them dumped me for someone prettier. I married the third. They all used me in some way including dh as you know. Drunks need taking care of. I won't even count the guys I tried to get the attention of and couldn't. I remember my mom talking me into giving a guy at church a card with my phone number in it. I was never so embarrassed in my life. He never spoke to me again. It's not that I didn't try to get their attention. I just couldn't. I didn't have IT whatever IT is.

The sad part here is both men and women end up miserable because we can't see past looks. While it's vindicating to have guys come back into my life and tell me they wish they'd met someone like me, I just shake my head because they did meet me. They just couldn't see me as a potential partner because I never had IT. I look at my best friend and just shake my head. She's a wonderful person. She's smart, kind, hard working, generous, fun to be around... the list of her great qualities goes on and on but like me she couldn't buy a date. She had one guy propose to her but he was so controlling that she walked away. That most likely would have become an abusive relationship. One of the first things people say to her when they meet her and find out she's not married is "I can't believe you're not married". I would think she'd have guys clamoring for her attention but she never did. The only negative I see is her weight. She's never been able to lose weight.
We are twins separated at birth. Can't rep you again.

I didn't know my ex was an alkie either--I liked hanging out and drank, too, but I didn't come from a family of drinkers and at that point in my life I had no idea that there were people who appeared normal at first but who would toss everything and everyone aside for drinking. I didn't really understand that he had a problem until we were married and I was pregnant and learned that beer and his pals at the bar were still more important to him than our marriage and our daughter.

I had to divorce him. He was abusive and mean and it got so bad I was afraid I was going to have to kill him one day. I wanted him to be dead. Now, after 15 years of divorce, we are fairly friendly and our daughter is grown and he has another woman taking care of him, but I am still glad I am not married to him anymore.

I'm also 55, and I know I will be alone for the rest of my life. For the most part, I can deal with it, and I live a busy life, but I do have my moments when I wish there was someone to share life with. I learned to avoid painful situations--for example, I stopped taking a friend's social invitations after I went to her barbecues and parties too many times and was the only person there who was not part of a couple. I don't like the way they look at me as if I am what they fear will happen to them. A single woman in this society is seen as something less than whole, and I don't want to be the object of that viewpoint, thanks. I do a lot of things alone. I go to dinner alone, I go to Atlantic City alone, and just yesterday I was looking at some of the upcoming concerts at the theater in the nearby town that gets big-name musicians, and you know what? I'm going to go to some concerts alone, too. I like music and there's no reason for me not to enjoy some of these events just because I was not deemed good enough to be part of someone's life.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have a friend whose husband was absolutely turned off by her when he met her. He wanted nothing to do with her. However, after being in several classes together in college and getting paired with her for a major project, he changed his mind. They've been happily married for 25 years now. Had life not forced him to get to know her he never would have given her a second look. He admits that she was a total turn off to him when he met her but she turned out to be his soul mate. I wish I could have a relationship like theirs. They're going to be that old couple you see walking hand in hand in the park some day. They are not just husband and wife. They're best friends. They complete each other.
That's how my brother and his girlfriend are. They never married, but they've been together for about 17 years now.

He was always a good-looking guy and had older girls chasing him down when he was 13 and 14. He had a couple of relationships with beautiful girls. One was a gorgeous girl who was engaged to be married to someone else but really loved my brother. She told him she could never take someone like him home to visit her family because we didn't come from the same type of background/wealth/education that her family did. She married the other guy, and called my brother from the islands on her honeymoon to tell him she would always love him. That one devastated him, I think.

Then he met the girl he's with now through friends. He thought that she wasn't the prettiest thing he'd ever seen. I am not sure why, I think she's very attractive, but she wasn't his usual type. She approached him and told him she was interested, and he wasn't all that interested in her at first, but he got to know her through over time through mutual friends, and eventually, he really did fall in love. They are inseparable now. They live together, but she has her own life and interests, and he has his. Neither ever wanted children, so they don't have any, but it's hard to imagine them apart now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology