Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 PM

600 posts, read 824,602 times

Advertisements

Even if you read Elliott's father he said he could never envision his son doing something like this. Well duh you clearly missed the warning signs all his life. Having Elliot see a psychologist once a week isn't treatment. The past several shooters like Elliot, Sandy Hook, Colorado Batman Movie, AZ Giffords the politician, etc.....All different background but they all have one thing in common. They were all suffering from mental illness.

I never understood why mental illness is not addressed aggressively. If you had a chronic issue like asthma we are quick to address it. But mental illness always seems to be "taboo".

I blame the parents as much as elliot. There were so many instances where he called and had breakdowns and how colleges and school did he switch ? What was their solution ?

They thought about sending him to Morocco, bought a BMW, kicked him out of the house and he went to Santa Barbara, gave him gift cards. He even mentioned that he went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed medicine which Elliot refused and stopped going. Clearly he wasn't going to seek treatment voluntarily so the only option would have been to commit him.

Really a huge failure over the years on behalf of his parents as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 11:39 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Even if you read Elliott's father he said he could never envision his son doing something like this. Well duh you clearly missed the warning signs all his life. Having Elliot see a psychologist once a week isn't treatment. The past several shooters like Elliot, Sandy Hook, Colorado Batman Movie, AZ Giffords the politician, etc.....All different background but they all have one thing in common. They were all suffering from mental illness.

I never understood why mental illness is not addressed aggressively. If you had a chronic issue like asthma we are quick to address it. But mental illness always seems to be "taboo".

I blame the parents as much as elliot. There were so many instances where he called and had breakdowns and how colleges and school did he switch ? What was their solution ?

They thought about sending him to Morocco, bought a BMW, kicked him out of the house and he went to Santa Barbara, gave him gift cards. He even mentioned that he went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed medicine which Elliot refused and stopped going. Clearly he wasn't going to seek treatment voluntarily so the only option would have been to commit him.

He had a history of tantrums, so his parents almost expected it on the phone. So, is this what you are fishing for? Are you looking for people that envy his parents and giving his dad 'precious' fame.. or technically ' fame' much like the same 'fame' that ER wanted? ER tried for the same position with free gift cards, what he drove, right down to the sunglasses he wore and failed miserably.. So, are you looking for people that envy his parents? nobody had any emotions for ER because he had already committed emotional suicide years ago. The only emotion he ever expressed was in his videos and before he shot his victims and himself.. he smiled.. I am not backing his parents, but I don't get an emotional feeling for his dad. I know he is famous and has many friends.. but there is just something about him that is different to me. I don't know him but I would say he stays pre-occupied mentally.. maybe he needed to be that way with his career or maybe he is just a focused person.. but no one really cares that ER had a BMW and gift cards. But I can tell you what I think-- and that would be that ER felt 'belittled' going to a community college. So, your post is really about his dad and how important he was/is? What is the difference between that and ER's position? Is the thread about ER or his dad? Or people or persons that might want to get back at his dad for what ER did, because he is famous? Really?

I do agree that ER needed to be institutionalized but after years of this behavior and thinking it was normal.. it's not entirely their fault. Sure.. they could have done this but would it have hurt his dads reputation? Or would it have just crushed his parents to do this?

We can't answer those questions here.. but I don't think people are out to get his dad.. but this thread shouldn't be about this anyway..

Edit: The two times ER smiled..

Santa Barbara Killer Elliot Rodger Smiled Before Shooting, Survivor Says - ABC News

“He wanted to do this,” she said in an exclusive interview with ABC News. “He looked happy about it.”
After smiling, he opened fire. De **** was hit five times, the bullets piercing her arm and chest, some grazing her body. She was released from the hospital Monday and is back home in Alameda, California, with her family.

BBC News - How I tried to help Elliot Rodger

I asked Peter if Elliot was ticklish. Peter said he was, so I encouraged a couple of women to tickle him and you know, that was the only time I saw Elliot express any kind of joy. It seemed that, at least for those moments, he was a normal kid

Old 07-10-2014, 08:00 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
... he didn't need a new BMW, designer clothes, or to go to a new college. He needed to be institutionalized where his only responsibility was getting healthy again mentally, nothing else.
Unless the person is a danger to himself or others, he can't be institutionalized against his will. The strange thing is that both his parents thought he might have been a danger to himself.

Quote:
Towards the end his mental illness caused him to lose all his friends, and his mom, dad, and step-mom didn't want to have anything to do with him.
It sounds as if he had these problems his whole life....they were just exacerbated by his having access to too many material things, no consequences for his behavior, and being enabled. It's hard to understand how two relatively bright parents (and one stepmother who tried to intervene) were so blind to his anger and rage.

Quote:
he was intellegent enough to write out an entire autobiography of his life and, despite his mental illness, he made the conscious decision to purchase handguns and harm people.
Just like a psychopath (and it sounds as if he was one). Unfortunately, there's no therapy or medication for that. Those therapist(s) had to have had some inkling.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:

But what makes you think his parents had the power to commit him? He was an adult. You can't just airily decide that someone needs to be committed to a mental institution and drive him there and they just as airily lock him up just because somebody else claims he's ill. You have to have demonstrated that you're a danger to yourself or others to be involunarily committed.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:14 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Nothing lasts, we all die and personalities change.
It sounds like you're pretty unhappy with how things are working out, and are determined to be unsatisfied, regardless.

Quote:
Because they had no relevance about what I was saying.
Yes, it absolutely did. My point was that people change their opinions after a while, and "see" deeper, and that first impressions aren't the only ones that matter. A woman can honestly, sincerely find a guy smoking hot AFTER TIME, even though at first glance he didn't seem that impressive. It's not a matter of "settling" for him, because in her heart of hearts, he IS hot.

But no. Don't listen to me, don't pay attention to the many, MANY people who report this phenomenon (it's not at all unique) just keep on griping and being bitter and tell us women what WE really feel, because we have no idea, YOU know so much better!

Quote:
As I said, women settle and learn to overlook looks. Men never do because men, unlike women, have very varied taste.
If women all have the same taste, how is it that I cannot stand the looks of Leonardo DiCaprio? He's SUPPOSED to be hot, isn't he? I didn't get the memo that I MUST find him hot, because ALL women find the same thing hot, we ALL have the same tastes! And I never have warmed to that guy who plays Young Captain Kirk, Chris Pine. Ugh. (But maybe he's starting to grow on me! Could it be that I am starting to change my opinion, and that maybe. . . just maybe . . . after time I will find him smoking hot due to his excellent movie performances?)

Quote:
Again, I learned to embrace being an ethical psychopath and hence I'm not doing to bad, even if I'm only 5'2. I'm far from sexy, always will be, and have to resort to taking tips from my "dark passenger" to get any attention.
You're getting attention from a certain type of woman, and you seem unhappy and unsatisfied about it. And bitter and negative about women because of it too.

Quote:
All the "be yourself" nonsense doesn't work. Be yourself...and talk about what, Christian Apocrypha? 80s music? Italian Wine?
We all show a "side" to us when we are making a first impression, but it doesn't follow that the "side" we show is a complete lie or a made-up act. When we do that, then how can we find "love"? The persons we're attracting have no idea who we really are.

That you feel to fabricate a persona, it doesn't seem to be making you happy.

Could it be that how you were acting before, that you were inadvertently sending out "vibes" that were keeping women away? You do seem to have an attitude now as well. People can pick up on that stuff. It could be a possibility, anyway.

Quote:
Men accept that women think about how they're going to get home at night and worry about getting pregnant while men generally don't have to think about these things. Why is it so hard for women to understand that men go through entire stages of life with no attention from females and no chance at love, sex etc but that that is something women generally don't have to deal with? Double standard much...
Love? To quote Tina Turner, what does LOVE have to do with it? Love is seeing past the external and appreciating the inner person. What you are talking about is getting someone hot for you, and getting laid, on a temporary basis. Love is a lot harder to come by, and you don't seem to be valuing it at all, by the way you talk.

If someone—anyone—is willing to lower their standards, they CAN get laid. Men and women. They might get someone who is scary, weird, repellent, but HEY! They can get LAID!

Quote:
And yes, women can get laid when ever they want to. Men can't (at least not straight men). Why is that simple truth so hard to understand?
Sarita asked and I will too. Men CAN get laid more often if they'll try with more unattractive women. But a lot of guys don't want to do that, and they then blame the WOMEN for not being attractive enough . . .

Old 07-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
He had a history of tantrums, so his parents almost expected it on the phone. So, is this what you are fishing for? Are you looking for people that envy his parents and giving his dad 'precious' fame.. or technically ' fame' much like the same 'fame' that ER wanted? ER tried for the same position with free gift cards, what he drove, right down to the sunglasses he wore and failed miserably.. So, are you looking for people that envy his parents? nobody had any emotions for ER because he had already committed emotional suicide years ago. The only emotion he ever expressed was in his videos and before he shot his victims and himself.. he smiled.. I am not backing his parents, but I don't get an emotional feeling for his dad. I know he is famous and has many friends.. but there is just something about him that is different to me. I don't know him but I would say he stays pre-occupied mentally.. maybe he needed to be that way with his career or maybe he is just a focused person.. but no one really cares that ER had a BMW and gift cards. But I can tell you what I think-- and that would be that ER felt 'belittled' going to a community college. So, your post is really about his dad and how important he was/is? What is the difference between that and ER's position? Is the thread about ER or his dad? Or people or persons that might want to get back at his dad for what ER did, because he is famous? Really?

I do agree that ER needed to be institutionalized but after years of this behavior and thinking it was normal.. it's not entirely their fault. Sure.. they could have done this but would it have hurt his dads reputation? Or would it have just crushed his parents to do this?

We can't answer those questions here.. but I don't think people are out to get his dad.. but this thread shouldn't be about this anyway..

Edit: The two times ER smiled..

Santa Barbara Killer Elliot Rodger Smiled Before Shooting, Survivor Says - ABC News

“He wanted to do this,” she said in an exclusive interview with ABC News. “He looked happy about it.”
After smiling, he opened fire. De **** was hit five times, the bullets piercing her arm and chest, some grazing her body. She was released from the hospital Monday and is back home in Alameda, California, with her family.

BBC News - How I tried to help Elliot Rodger

I asked Peter if Elliot was ticklish. Peter said he was, so I encouraged a couple of women to tickle him and you know, that was the only time I saw Elliot express any kind of joy. It seemed that, at least for those moments, he was a normal kid

Having tantrums ? What he was doing wasn't just a tantrum. He was frequently calling both his parents and crying and having meltdowns about blonde women and virtually worshiping them. He was even talking to his parents about this. He also made YouTube videos which caused his mother to contact the police which visited him last year. So there was already an understanding there is something wrong.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But what makes you think his parents had the power to commit him? He was an adult. You can't just airily decide that someone needs to be committed to a mental institution and drive him there and they just as airily lock him up just because somebody else claims he's ill. You have to have demonstrated that you're a danger to yourself or others to be involunarily committed.

His mom called the police. Why would they have if there was not a danger ?

Old 07-10-2014, 12:25 PM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
His mom called the police. Why would they have if there was not a danger ?
I don't understand what you're getting at here. So...she called the police, they talked to him...then what? You still need to go past just that to commit someone. Unfortunately, often nothing can be done until a crime is committed.

Look at all the mentally ill people walking around every day on the streets. Some of them scream at people or threaten them. Do we lock them up? No. But every so often, one of them pushes a person into the path of a subway train. Who has the crystal ball that tells which crazy person is going to act out and which are all talk?

Old 07-10-2014, 02:47 PM

His parents were aware of his personality and situation since he starting having troubles. The mother eventually made the decision to call the police due to a percieved safety issue.

Comparing a mother/father relationship to a child, is completely different than "mentally ill people walking around every day on the streets". You are completely missing the point.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:43 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly. Committing someone is incredibly difficult and costs a lot of money. If someone is running down the boulevard naked, carrying a bomb, and threatening to kill himself and others with it, THEN it would be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology