Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:50 PM

52,271 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I'm 21, and that is pretty much an ongoing goal for me really. Probably always will be.
Probably will be.

I'll be 45 this month and I wish I could say it's over, finito, done growing up, got it all figured out, but life doesn't work that way... at least for me and most likely all people....

Something that a young person can do to help is to work toward becoming more spiritual and self aware and to live in the moment, that doesn't mean blow off the future or the past, it means to live in the now and to not to overthink things so much, we spent a lot of times in our heads and not in the now, the now right in front of ourselves.......

Read books by guys like Eckhart Tolle and other spiritual teachers..... I wish I would done that in my 20's....I've always been searching though and I think a lot of younger people do too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 02:51 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
About every 20 years. I'm up to my third time so far.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:09 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Are we supposed to figure out who we are....?
According to who?

Because I'm not the same person I was when I was 20, or even 30....
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans-
So its about adapting, changing, improving & persevering......

From what people who know me IRL have said-
I'm a warrior.
But I'd like to take a break from that role, lol

Old 08-10-2014, 06:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
About 24-25.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:29 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Probably will be.

I'll be 45 this month and I wish I could say it's over, finito, done growing up, got it all figured out, but life doesn't work that way... at least for me and most likely all people....

Something that a young person can do to help is to work toward becoming more spiritual and self aware and to live in the moment, that doesn't mean blow off the future or the past, it means to live in the now and to not to overthink things so much, we spent a lot of times in our heads and not in the now, the now right in front of ourselves.......

Read books by guys like Eckhart Tolle and other spiritual teachers..... I wish I would done that in my 20's....I've always been searching though and I think a lot of younger people do too.
You are definitely right on the thinking thing. I do think A LOT more than I should. It has led to a lot of inaction in my life when I could've done something, and something really good could've come out of it.

Thinking so much has made me incredibly self conscious, depressed, hesitant, and pretty scared to do a lot of things in life. I am doing my best to get out of it, but it is an incredibly hard habit to break. I appreciate your advice chow.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Mid-late 20s was when I realized not so much who I am, but for certain what part of the woods I am in and what part I am NOT in. The rest is ongoing and I'm 45.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
I don't know, I like the answer that we may never know. I am different all the time, people are always growing and changing. I don't know that I'd want to "figure it out" and "be done" because if you aren't growing, learning, and changing, then aren't you... stagnant? Wouldn't that mean you've quit feeling, seeing things, experiencing things? Sounds boring to me.

I'm about to be 38. I wish I felt "settled" in that I was in my perfect, fulfilling career and living where I thought I wanted to be forever, I guess. But otherwise, relationship wise, I guess as I got married when I was 26, that was the age (well 25) I feel like I got "that" right, and figured out.

But there's many things left for me to do, experience, discover, and figure out. I'm not "done" yet.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:00 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
For me late 30's. Before that I was always looking for my boyfriend/husband to make me happy.

I don't think I "damaged" anyone by being that way, as you mentioned in your OP. But, it's not fair to make someone your source of happiness.

I didn't figure out how to just be happy with myself/by myself, though, until I was in my late 30's. That's when I finally liked my own company. I think that's the place you need to be in, to have healthy relationships.

I came from a very dysfunctional, alcoholic home, though. I think kids who grow up in these types of homes take longer to be okay with who they are.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:23 AM

339 posts, read 777,916 times
18 - during my first tour of combat in Viet Nam.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:53 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
in our very formative years,, thru jr, high and high school,,i think most kids, live their life thru their parents eyes,,whats expected/told of them,,

they aretruly finding their own way,,,then in the early and mid 20's you realize some things growing up was b.s. and you start to recognize the chip on your shoulder- then you are also setting your own short and long term goals

who we are is intrinsic,,,but also depends who we are with,
someone will come along and rock your world , and you can and will change

part of maturity is understanding your fears or weaknesses, not making excuses for them, or worse, blaming others
for your own b.s.

life is a journey-we all change thru the decades

the best thing we can do to our own kids, is instill confidence in themselves, you do this,,,then they can easily fly thru life,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology