Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:31 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
A sweat lodge is totally different. All things "new age" aren't the same, and this guy's stupidity/carelessness has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

Sweat Lodges are actually ancient, not new, they are modeled after ceremonies Native Americans held fr hundreds of years to expand their minds (can have the same sort of effect as hallucinogens, although the native Americans often added them to the ceremony).

What is it that you think makes this sweat lodge incident relate to the book The Secret?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 05:52 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
To those who think the law of attraction is a scam etc., I say if it isn't working for you, you aren't doing it right.

There are ceilings to what we can have in this lifetime. We create an illusory ceiling based on what we believe we deserve and what we believe is unattainable. If you remove that ceiling, nearly anything is possible. (I say "nearly" because there is another ceiling that cannot be breached, and that is the barrier that exists because of certain things we are supposed to experience or not experience in any given lifetime. But that ceiling is extremely high and only pertains to a couple of areas, which are different for each individual.)

In my 30s, I was living in a tiny apartment, newly divorced and without much cash. I heard about the law of attraction and decided what the heck, I had nothing to lose. I worked it as specified, not really believing in it but willing to be open. I visualized finding a loving partner, owning my own home, and getting a badly needed new car (these last two on a very minimal salary). Within a year's time, I was married to a great guy, owned not one, but two, houses, and had my new car, no muss, no fuss.

I worked the law of attraction as I was instructed to do, and it worked for me, and it has continued to do so in astonishing ways. If you are skeptical, try it with an open mind and do all the steps, and see what happens. You have nothing to lose except your illusions.
The Secret IS a scam.

Did you happen to work for anything that you obtained? I've also obtained much of what I wanted in life. How did I do it? I worked for it.

The true secret is that there is no secret.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Too bad all the Syrians who have been massacred in the past few months didn't know about The Law of Attraction and/or "The Secret". If they had known, they'd still all be alive. Well, at least a lot of them, right? And the poorest people in Third World countries -- they wouldn't be starving.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
I read The Secret many years ago and it's a very good concept - I do believe in The Law of Attraction, somewhat. I just disagree with some of her interpretations of the Law of Attraction. It's not even a new concept, but a very old one, ancient even.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:18 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Pseudo-scientific nonsense.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:40 AM

130 posts, read 111,825 times
no, I think there are things that become fashion and it was fashion some years ago.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:58 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
A sweat lodge is totally different. All things "new age" aren't the same, and this guy's stupidity/carelessness has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

Sweat Lodges are actually ancient, not new, they are modeled after ceremonies Native Americans held fr hundreds of years to expand their minds (can have the same sort of effect as hallucinogens, although the native Americans often added them to the ceremony).

What is it that you think makes this sweat lodge incident relate to the book The Secret?
I've copied and pasted the article directly for you:

Quote:
A jury has convicted a self-help author who led a sweat lodge ceremony in Arizona that left three people dead.

Jurors in Camp Verde, Ariz., reached their verdict Wednesday after a four-month trial.

James Arthur Ray was found guilty of three counts of negligent homicide.

More than 50 people participated in the October 2009 sweat lodge that was meant to be the highlight of Ray's five-day "Spiritual Warrior" seminar near Sedona.

Three people died following the sauna-like ceremony meant to provide spiritual cleansing. Eighteen were hospitalized, while several others were given water to cool down at the scene. Prosecutors and defense attorneys disagreed over whether the deaths and illnesses were caused by heat or toxins.

Moderator cut: copyright issues
How does it relate? There's your answer. "The Secret" is more about a marketing scheme.

And, if it were truly a "secret" why would it be kept from ordinary people supposedly for centuries? Wouldn't it benefit mankind to "share the secret" of "prosperity and abundance"? It violates ethics on so many grounds.

I am a huge proponent for creating the happiness that you want in life, and I believe that you have within your own power and ability to reframe and redefine the life you want within the scope of your own capacities.

But the underlying recurrent theme about what these new-agey folks like Rhonda Byrne's and her associates are saying seem to target the wishfuls and hopefuls without taking into account the fact some people really don't have control of their own environments, and some people truly are victims to their circumstances, even if they choose not to.

Like victims of Agent Orange from the War in Viet Nam, who's kids are still being born deformed today? How does The Secret answer to people who are victims of war and tragedy? I wish Rhonda Byrnes can personally visit one of these orphanages and see how she feels being privileged and making all the claims she's made.

moderator cut: image removed

What part about that is justifiable? I disagree that "everything that happens in your life is all the energy you put out there and all you attract back" which is essentially what the book is about.

Magical thinking can really create a sense of false delusion and victim blaming, on top of that, feed into a very narcissistic mentality that becomes a cult-like lifestyle, ignoring all the facts and evidence of sociopolitical injustice.

Last edited by Marka; 09-07-2014 at 03:39 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 06:22 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I'm not going to re-write posts I have already written earlier. I more than explained how I look at the Secret and LOA in general in early posts on this thread. If you are really interested in my POV vs just being "right", you are more than welcome to go back and read them.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:58 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I do believe positive thinking to be very influential and powerful but I don't think it alone is a solution. It's a foundation.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:43 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,417 times
Kabbalah is also a "scam" giving your money to the Bergs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology