Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:00 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I have a grandson who is 2 years old, and his parents don't plan on having any other kids. He doesn't even have cousins anywhere near his age, just a couple who are much older. Neither families have many relatives, and none who are close, distance wise or emotionally. I was wondering if someone else is in this situation? If so, were you lonely as a child, not having any siblings to share your lives joys, ups and downs, holidays, with, or were you OK with it? What about as you got older, in your teens and older? I worry that he won't have any contact with anyone related to him when he's older, no family to speak of.

Until recently, I practically pleaded with my daughter to have another child because I am so worried about this, and because both of us grandmothers would love for them to have another one. Hopefully, a girl, but it really wouldn't matter, I would rest easier knowing my grandson had family close to him later. I know, something could happen to one of them, and the other would still be alone. Anyway, I quit talking to her about it because I'm more concerned now about the state of our country. From what I read and hear on the news, the future doesn't look good for our young children. I'm concerned about the world they will be growing up in.

So, if you are an adult only child, with hardly any relatives, are you happy or sad about your familial situation?
I was an only child my entire life on my mother's side, and had a younger brother at 8 on my dad's but didn't see him much, and when I was 15 the first of my three youngest siblings were born. I lived with everyday.

So I have the somewhat unique perspective of having had both siblings and none in the same family.

Really, it made no difference. I was always told as a child that I was more mature than most kids and spoke like an adult. I suspect that is from the fact I didn't have any siblings and most spoke to adults. I was never lonely, or bored, or whatever. It was a none issue. That being said, my younger brother and I are very close, and having a close sibling relationship is a unique one in the world. But just having a sibling does not guarantee that relationship at all. His full sister (my half) is only a year and a half older than him. They experienced everything together, but they cannot stand each other and almost never speak except at family functions. So just having another child does nothing to guarantee that sibling relationship will happen anyway.

BTW, the most telling thing of all, if probably that I chose, deliberately, to have only one child myself. She has close family relatives her own age, but has never bemoaned the lack of siblings. Quite the opposite, by the time she was 4 she was telling us how much she didn't want any siblings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:11 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I taught English at a Chinese university in 2011 where most of my students had no siblings. Although a number of them expressed that they would have preferred a siblings, there were quite a few others that were quite happy to be only children and not to have share their parents with other siblings as they got all of their parents' attention. So I think it really depends on the character of the child/person whether or not they would benefit from having a sibling or not.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I was an only child my entire life on my mother's side, and had a younger brother at 8 on my dad's but didn't see him much, and when I was 15 the first of my three youngest siblings were born. I lived with everyday.

So I have the somewhat unique perspective of having had both siblings and none in the same family.

Really, it made no difference. I was always told as a child that I was more mature than most kids and spoke like an adult. I suspect that is from the fact I didn't have any siblings and most spoke to adults. I was never lonely, or bored, or whatever. It was a none issue. That being said, my younger brother and I are very close, and having a close sibling relationship is a unique one in the world. But just having a sibling does not guarantee that relationship at all. His full sister (my half) is only a year and a half older than him. They experienced everything together, but they cannot stand each other and almost never speak except at family functions. So just having another child does nothing to guarantee that sibling relationship will happen anyway.

BTW, the most telling thing of all, if probably that I chose, deliberately, to have only one child myself. She has close family relatives her own age, but has never bemoaned the lack of siblings. Quite the opposite, by the time she was 4 she was telling us how much she didn't want any siblings.

Sounds like son-in-law cant get the job done. Daugher should have married an Orthodox, African American or an Irish Man. Those guys can knock out dozens of kids.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:20 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Sounds like son-in-law cant get the job done. Daugher should have married an Orthodox, African American or an Irish Man. Those guys can knock out dozens of kids.
You can't be for real.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I am not sure why you quoted me as your drivel has ZERO to do with my post.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:41 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
I had one younger brother, and we never bonded or became friends. We're just very different. I never even bonded with my parents, so most of my adult life I've lived far from family and my parents very rarely contact me as an adult. So in some ways, I've almost felt "orphaned" as an adult.

We have twins and I'm glad they have each other. Especially since they have no family outside of us and will never be close to any biological family, other than us. At age 6, they've never even met their grandparents on the other side of the family. So I sort of feel bad that they'll never really have that extended family experience, but then I really didn't get much of that either. My hope is that they marry into great families. And so far, they get along fairly well and are friends, so that's positive.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:49 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
For the love of all that's holy, BUTT OUT. Seriously.

I'm an only child who grew up in a fairly isolated part of NJ (until it got developed). I was very socially awkward, but more because of a learning disability than anything else. I also had nothing to do but study and read, and graduated at the top of my high school class and then graduated from an Ivy League college.

I'm an only child who at nearly 40 has a life full of rewarding relationships, a decent career and many interests. My mother and my auntie both wanted to adopt children after their daughters were born. They made the mistake of asking me and my cousin how we felt about it. We emphatically said no. I don't think they should have gone by our say-so, but it still worked out ok for me and my cousin.

OP, you need to relax and find something else to worry about. Your grandchild will be fine. But it's probably best if you don't project your irrational fears onto him or damage your relationship with his parents.

Talk about borrowing trouble!

Old 08-12-2014, 11:03 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
I have a grandson who is 2 years old, and his parents don't plan on having any other kids................So, if you are an adult only child, with hardly any relatives, are you happy or sad about your familial situation?
Neither happy nor sad; that's just the way my life is, and has always been. The only relative I ever knew was my mother. Your grandson may even (as I did) find himself at an advantage over his contemporaries in that he may be far more mobile and therefore able to move where emloyment opportunities arise.

FWIW, you are describing life in China for nearly everyone under 30. The one-child program will result in massive amounts of orphan adults with a huge number of never-married men. If you are a Chinese under 30, there are 120 men for 100 women.
When you think about it, the one-child program creates a population of people with no aunts or uncles; no cousins; no siblings.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:04 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
I know you're worried about it, but only children usually thrive as long as their parents let them interact with other kids. In fact, he will probably be more mature and do better in school because he is an only child.

Is it okay to have an only child?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:09 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
I have a grandson who is 2 years old, and his parents don't plan on having any other kids. He doesn't even have cousins anywhere near his age, just a couple who are much older. Neither families have many relatives, and none who are close, distance wise or emotionally. I was wondering if someone else is in this situation? If so, were you lonely as a child, not having any siblings to share your lives joys, ups and downs, holidays, with, or were you OK with it? What about as you got older, in your teens and older? I worry that he won't have any contact with anyone related to him when he's older, no family to speak of.

Until recently, I practically pleaded with my daughter to have another child because I am so worried about this, and because both of us grandmothers would love for them to have another one. Hopefully, a girl, but it really wouldn't matter, I would rest easier knowing my grandson had family close to him later. I know, something could happen to one of them, and the other would still be alone. Anyway, I quit talking to her about it because I'm more concerned now about the state of our country. From what I read and hear on the news, the future doesn't look good for our young children. I'm concerned about the world they will be growing up in.

So, if you are an adult only child, with hardly any relatives, are you happy or sad about your familial situation?
Wow, you certainly worry a lot about stuff you have zero control over.

I am an adult only child, with hardly any relatives. I find it completely futile to be sad about it. To the contrary, after gaining inlaws, I count my sparse familial blessings.

(JK..... mostly.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology